For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The Spidey trailer is phenomenal. Holy cow, holy cow, holy cow.

One revelation that spoils nothing: At one point, you can hear the old "Spider-Man, Spider-Man, does whatever a spider can" music playing in the background.

This looks crazy good.

Also, the actual end of "this phase".

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/richard-madden-eternals-1203207844/

Apparently actor Richard Madden is in talks to play Ikaris in the upcoming Eternals movie. First of all, I have practically zero knowledge of the Eternals, so I am pretty clueless when it comes to how big a role Ikaris is. Also, I don't watch Game of Thrones so I'm also fairly clueless as to how good of an actor Richard Madden is or whether he would be a good choice for the role. Anyone else willing to fill in those blanks?

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA

Apparently actor Richard Madden is in talks to play Ikaris in the upcoming Eternals movie. First of all, I have practically zero knowledge of the Eternals, so I am pretty clueless when it comes to how big a role Ikaris is. Also, I don't watch Game of Thrones so I'm also fairly clueless as to how good of an actor Richard Madden is or whether he would be a good choice for the role. Anyone else willing to fill in those blanks?

I thought Madden was good to pretty good in GOT, though it's his role in BBC's Bodyguard that's awesome. I think it won him a golden globe for that.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/spider-man-far-home-no-miles-morales-producer/

Apparently we should not expect to see Miles Morales in Far From Home according to a producer. While I'd like to introduce him eventually, I'd prefer it still be a few more films down the line rather than now. However, here is a fun thought. Remember how Miles was already established to exist in the MCU after his Uncle Aaron appeared in Homecoming talking about his young nephew. So, placing him as a young kid automatically should put his arrival further down the line right? However, what if Miles wasn't snapped??? Boom, that automatically jumps him 5 years older and much closer to becoming a reality than maybe we previously considered.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
New Spider-Man: Far From Home trailer for anyone interested. Personally, I'm good and will pass, especially when I consider how spoilery Sony was with their Spider-Man: Homecoming trailers. Shoot, even their very first Homecoming trailer was practically a beat-for-beat telling of the story and why I first instituted my one trailer limitation for myself on all future movies (I should institute zero trailer for Sony ones). It really torqued me off. What a lot of people don't realize is that while Sony and Marvel have a deal where Marvel Studios produces these MCU Spider-Man flicks for Sony, it is still all Sony when it comes to distribution and marketing.

Not allowed to share yet but worked on some really fun products for FFH, more stuff for that than Endgame actually. One of Mysterio in particular is a favorite of mine. I was also pretty shocked at how much story they gave out yesterday, more than I knew in a year of product development.

I will say that the process working with the double studio/double licensor thing is getting ironed out a little with every Sony/Marvel movie which has to be great on the filmmaking side too.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

He's the focal point of Eternals stories, the lead guy.
Generally a prototypical Superman-type dude.
Trying to read Eternals stories is a chore. You gotta want it to get through those. This idea is likely the most skeptical I've been that Marvel can pull it off and make it good. If anyone can, it's these guys, but the Eternals are not very interesting.

Basically a Jack Kirby rip-off of the Greek/Roman pantheons, but with cosmic experimentation by Celestials to create them. Ugh.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
He's the focal point of Eternals stories, the lead guy.
Generally a prototypical Superman-type dude.
Trying to read Eternals stories is a chore. You gotta want it to get through those. This idea is likely the most skeptical I've been that Marvel can pull it off and make it good. If anyone can, it's these guys, but the Eternals are not very interesting.

Basically a Jack Kirby rip-off of the Greek/Roman pantheons, but with cosmic experimentation by Celestials to create them. Ugh.

This description made it seem even more boring. Wow...

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Not allowed to share yet but worked on some really fun products for FFH, more stuff for that than Endgame actually. One of Mysterio in particular is a favorite of mine. I was also pretty shocked at how much story they gave out yesterday, more than I knew in a year of product development.

I will say that the process working with the double studio/double licensor thing is getting ironed out a little with every Sony/Marvel movie which has to be great on the filmmaking side too.

Its good to hear the studios are working decently together. The better that goes, you would think that only helps our odds of them renewing their deal together. As for Mysterio, that dude's costume looks spectacular and I'm one who never thought any studio could pull of Mysterio and not make him look ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
With Phase 3 for all intents and purposes over now (technically a Spider-Man movie left) and moving into Phase 4 and beyond, and with the Disney purchase of 20th Century Fox a done deal, I wonder if we start seeing the blurring of the lines between the traditional MCU and the Fox MCU. Granted, the existing MCU doesn’t need the X-Men and the X-Men don’t need the MCU, but I can’t help but think it happens anyway (I know there are comics out there with stories that involve Wolverine, Iron Man, and Black Widow. Obviously that won’t happen for spoilery reasons, but it’s a “for example”.)
Wait. This is the end of Phase 3? I assumed all along this wrapped up Phase 1.

What were phases 1 and 2?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
This description made it seem even more boring. Wow...

It's brutal.
If you talk to a certain sect of comic fans, you're required to think they're awesome because Jack "the King" Kirby created them.
If you read their stories, it's tough. Neil Gaiman wrote an acclaimed version, and it was OK, but still not one that's every made me think to go and reread it or see it on the screen.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
  • Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Now, with all my lack of enthusiasm for the Eternals, they've been successful with a lot of characters who have struggled a great deal to be exciting over the years, including Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, and more.

If anyone can make the Eternals a good show, it's Marvel Studios. They'll probably pull it off.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I thought Madden was good to pretty good in GOT, though it's his role in BBC's Bodyguard that's awesome. I think it won him a golden globe for that.

Appreciate the input on Madden. While I don't watch GOT, so I don't know how good or not some of these actors/actresses are on there, I've inevitably been a bit gun-shy lately on actors coming from that show. I got burned REALLY BAD on Finn Jones as Iron Fist, Sophie Turner as Jean Grey has also been very underwhelming, and Emilia Clark in Solo was just alright. Most of them haven't been helped at all by their directors and writers, but I also don't think the actors have been very good either. There is also no charisma there for me with any of them.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Have to admit, Eternals is the first one I actively do not have any desire to see. If I do, I'm going to have to yell "IT'S A DEAD MAN'S SWITCH" two or three times.

Yeah, full disclosure, I am not excited for it either (I'm the guy that gets excited by about anything too), but if I've learned anything, in Kevin Feige I trust with this stuff.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/disney-control-hulu-comcast-deal/

Like I've been anticipating for a long time now, Disney finally struck a deal with Comcast to gain full control and eventually ownership over Hulu. All along, it has just made too much sense for Disney not to do this, especially now that they own Fox and all their catalog of less family-friendly content. This now allows them to protect the Disney brand with everything in the Disney+ streaming service yet still allow them to continue to produce and have a home for some more mature content. Hulu also allows Disney to break fully into the game of streaming TV through Hulu TV, not to mention all the different types of bundling options they can offer now for their content.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Appreciate the input on Madden. While I don't watch GOT, so I don't know how good or not some of these actors/actresses are on there, I've inevitably been a bit gun-shy lately on actors coming from that show. I got burned REALLY BAD on Finn Jones as Iron Fist, Sophie Turner as Jean Grey has also been very underwhelming, and Emilia Clark in Solo was just alright. Most of them haven't been helped at all by their directors and writers, but I also don't think the actors have been very good either. There is also no charisma there for me with any of them.
That was Emilia Clark in Solo? I wondered who was playing Kira. She's otherworldly beautiful.

Help Support Us

Become a patron