Impossible Burger

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
For those living in Des Moines, The University Library Cafe by Drake has Impossible Burger patties. I tried one after my shift on Saturday and was surprised at how much it felt like meat. This is by far and away the best meat substitute burger I've ever had. It didn't taste like much of anything, but the consistency was spot on. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't need to try it again as I love beef too much.

• Informative
Reactions: AdRock4Cy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/05/07/business/mcdonalds-meatless-burger-germany/index.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/07/business/mcdonalds-meatless-burger-germany/index.html

McDonald's is inching closer to getting fully on board the meatless burger bandwagon with a new version in one of its biggest international markets.

The burger chain is now selling a vegan burger, the Big Vegan TS, in Germany, one of its five leading international markets. Nestle is making the meatless patty for McDonald's, which first started selling the burger late last month.

This is all very fascinating. Will meat-lovers make the switch? Doesn't seem likely to me because if you like meat, you like meat.

The vegans I know are doing so mostly for health reasons. They are not interested in meat substitutes as they have already said goodbye to meat. And they are very concerned about the manufactured nature of meat substitutes (as they want to eat with as little processing as possible).

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Dr Shawn Baker calls the Impossible Burger "chemical glop".

As an aside, there was an interesting Freakomonics podcast within the last couple months that talked about the Impossible Burger. Doesn't take a position, but it interesting to hear about the development/history.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems like someone has invested heavily in The Impossible Burger in order for it to show up in so many restaurants. Yet, it gets hammered from both sides (vegan and carnivores). Hard to imagine it will catch on without capturing the vegan market. I look for them to replace it with something that it more friendly to vegans.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The new wave will be kimchi.

If your thing is sneaking up on people you'll probably have to give that up though.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I missed this discussion when it originally happened. I only read the first couple of pages so I may have missed something.

I'm a 95% vegan, for health purposes mainly, but also environmental reasons. I get plenty of protein in my diet.

But anyway, the impossible burger is very good and you'll be seeing a lot more if it. After testing the impossible burger in 40+ Texas Burger Kings earlier this year, the franchise plans on putting them in all of their restaurants as early as the end of this year. Impossible Burger is also planning on coming to grocery stores sometime soon. The company is also planning on coming out with other meatless products resembling pork, chicken, and such, but they wanted to perfect ground beef first before doing so.

The ingredient used in these burgers that sets in apart from black bean burgers and other veggie burgers is heme. It gives the burger the beef texture and attributes. Also, they are consisting updating the ingredients to make it better.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
This comment is interesting to me because I used to be there but now I view this in the opposite direction.

From my current perspective on healthy eating, there is really not a lot that is healthy when looking at the makeup of tacos and ESPECIALLY spaghetti other than the animal protein…and you are essentially removing that.

Not a doctor and not disparaging you, just making an observation based on where I’m currently at (i.e.…I’m currently following ketogenic/carnivore way of eating).

Do you know where animal protein comes from?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Do you know where animal protein comes from?

By definition, it comes from the animal you are consuming.

How it is created within the animal (which I believe is what you meant to ask) is obviously a product of whatever diet that animal consumes. Some believe that grass-feed beef produces a more desired source of animal protein, then beef that is finished off by being grain fed.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
By definition, it comes from the animal you are consuming.

How it is created within the animal (which I believe is what you meant to ask) is obviously a product of whatever diet that animal consumes. Some believe that grass-feed beef produces a more desired source of animal protein, then beef that is finished off by being grain fed.
The protein in animal meat comes from the protein in the plants that they eat.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Bought my wife some Beyond Meat burgers over the weekend, so I'll post thoughts on it once we've had them. I did read that those and the Impossible burgers have less protein, and more salt and fat, than beef hamburgers, so it's not really thing to eat if you're trying to eat healthy.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...t-theyre-definitely-more-expensive-2019-06-12
At Burger King, the meatless Impossible Whopper, available at select locations, is 630 calories, compared to the regular Whopper which is 660. (The Impossible burger is made with soy protein, potato protein, coconut oil, sunflower oil and heme, a molecule that makes it look and bleed like real meat).

Both have around the same amount of fat (34 grams of fat, and 11 grams of saturated fat for the Impossible Whopper; and 40 grams of fat, and 12 grams of saturated fat for the Whopper). The meatless version has a whopping 1,240 milligrams of sodium verses 980 for the meaty one.

It’s almost the same amount of calories as the regular burger. The fat is slightly lower, but the saturated fat is still pretty high,” notes Zarabi of the saturated fat, which is almost the same exact amount in each. Consumers can expect to pay at least $1 more for the Impossible Whopper ($5.19), with prices varying by location. In the Bay Area, the meatless Whopper is selling for $6.19 before tax, compared to $4.19 for the original version, according to FastFoodMenuPrices.com. (Burger King did not respond to a request for comment.)

• Informative
Reactions: CTTB78

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The protein in animal meat comes from the protein in the plants that they eat.
And the plants need certain nutrients from the soil to produce it's protein structure. Could it be possible that the ground from which these plants grow might be fertilized with animal waste? Especially soybeans, the staple of vegan diets? I grew up on a farm.....and many a soybean crop was raised on ground fertilized with pig manure. Last time I debated a militant vegan it ended with me telling him my food craps all over his. Not that I care, if that's your thing more power to you. It's just seems to me in this day and age if you are a trying to be vegan can you tell if what you are eating is void of this type of fertilizer? And if some company states that......do you trust them. It's(manure) the best, and cheapest stuff for adding nutrients to the soil out there.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
And the plants need certain nutrients from the soil to produce it's protein structure.
giphy.gif

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Beyond Meat.

They IPO’d yesterday and the stock doubled in price.
Beyond Meat was awesome for about a month. I bought in a 66/share and sold at 170/share but JP Morgan had to do their thing.

Reactions: harimad

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
What I don’t get is if you are a vegetarian or vegan and don’t like to eat animals etc why do people care for a fake burger that looks and is similar to meat ?

Nostalgia. They like hamburgers, just like everyone else. Only now they have an option to eat a good hamburger not made from a dead animal. How is that so hard to understand?

Reactions: chadly82

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What I don’t get is if you are a vegetarian or vegan and don’t like to eat animals etc why do people care for a fake burger that looks and is similar to meat ?
I wonder this myself. I'm not a vegetarian, and don't expect to be going forward. I've read several articles from vegetarians/vegans who are sceptical of Impossible/Beyond Meat specifically because it's too much like meat, so I guess for some that's definitely an issue. For me, I tried it purely out of curiosity and found that it actually tastes good. I could give a rip if it's meat or not.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron