3. RotJ
4. Rogue One
5. TFA
6. Solo
7. TLJ
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones
I'd swap RotJ/Rogue One. and leave out Solo (since I haven't seen it) but otherwise, spot-on for me too.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My ranking:

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTJ
4. The Clone Wars Cartoon
5. Rebels Cartoon
6. Solo
7. AotS
8. R1
9. TFA
10. AOTC
11. TLJ
12. SW Resistance Cartoon
13. TPM
14. SW Droids Cartoon
15. SW Ewoks Cartoon
16&17. two made for TV Ewok movies
18. SW Holiday Special

The Star Wars Holiday Special is a surrealist masterpiece.

• Useful
Reactions: CycloneWanderer

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The Phantom Menace would have worked better as a silent film, or at least a film without dialogue.

I've watched the anti-cheese edits on Youtube. It's much more entertaining with just a few minor changes.
They removed most of them from youtube unfortunately but I'm sure you could find them somewhere.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

I mean, they set it up in Phantom Menace!
latest

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
ALL OF THE PREQUELS would have worked better as a silent film, or at least a film without dialogue.

FIFY.

I've said many times, especially ROTS would have been WAAAY better without Lucas' atrocious "dialogue". The only sequence worth listening to is Palpatine unveiling himself to Anakin. McDiarmid really chewed up that scene, he was great. Even with a mannequin to work with.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
FIFY.

I've said many times, especially ROTS would have been WAAAY better without Lucas' atrocious "dialogue". The only sequence worth listening to is Palpatine unveiling himself to Anakin. McDiarmid really chewed up that scene, he was great. Even with a mannequin to work with.

McDiarmid is the man.

He made a lot of hammy dialogue -- in VI and the prequels -- sound profound somehow.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I don't hate the prequels anymore. The dialogue and much of the acting was suspect, but the underlying story arc works on some level.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I don't hate the prequels anymore. The dialogue and much of the acting was suspect, but the underlying story arc works on some level.
I'm ok with them now that I know those won't be the last Star Wars movies we get. However, Attack of the Clones is still just a straight up BAD movie. I still find that one really hard to watch.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy and Bader

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

The prequels are incredible ideas incompetently executed.

Imagining a scenario where Lucas comes up with the major plot points, characters, themes, and settings while turning the day-to-day film-making over to a competent, up-and-coming director and the screenplay over to some qualified writers... keeping Ole George in some figurehead position as executive producer or something... well, that sounds like it could have worked.

That was essentially the deal with V and VI, anyways.

Lucas has always been a vision guy, not a craft one, by his own admission.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think you could seriously edit better movies together. It's been done with the Phantom Edit, could easily be done by cutting out all of the romance (just have a big twist reveal in Ep 3 where Obi-Wan discovers Anakin's secret marriage) and you'd have 3 tight movies with some good action without all of the cringey stuff.

Lucas padded I and II and then tried to cram way too much into III...?

No way. :p

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I watched The Phantom Menace yesterday so my almost four year old son could see it. Funny how the first few times, I thought Jar Jar was the worst in it, however after watching it yesterday, I thought kiddie Ani was worse than Jar Jar.

clone34

Mar 29, 2009
Looks great. Really hope that the final one delivers. After hearing that Rian Johnson and JJ and team didnt have a complete story arc explains a lot and is disappointing at the same time. I rewatched TLJ with this info and the movie felt better. TLJ was frustrating and ignored all of Star Wars past history and its mysteries.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Yeah, the thing about the prequels was that they were so hyped. There were 15 years between ROTJ and TPM. Those of us that grew up with the OT...most of that stuff was just left to the imagination. What the Clone Wars were like, how did Anakin turn bad, what a real Jedi in his prime was like, could Yoda actually fight. Lucas proceeded to explain the whole thing. Poorly. I could have written a script for all three movies in a matter of a month that would have been 10x better than what Lucas put out there.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Looks great. Really hope that the final one delivers. After hearing that Rian Johnson and JJ and team didnt have a complete story arc explains a lot and is disappointing at the same time. I rewatched TLJ with this info and the movie felt better. TLJ was frustrating and ignored all of Star Wars past history and its mysteries.
I 100% disagree with this. I think it took a look at the past mysteries and lore of the Jedi and reframed it. The Empire was able to rise because of the Jedi. Darth Vader existed because of the Jedi. Luke failed as a Jedi instructor leading to Kylo and the New Order. By this point Luke had had enough and was ready to just let the Jedi Order fade into nothing. It also showed you don't have to be a super Jedi master to be powerful with the force (Rey and broom kid).

I don't love it as much as I once did, mostly because it was filmed like an old western and nothing happens over the course of the movie that couldn't happen within the first hour, but I still appreciate it's place in the Star Wars universe.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron