Parking Pass and Donations

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
That response comes from years of paying for parking on campus, having no spaces in my lot after I come back from lunch, and having students say "oh well, it really doesn't matter if I park here and never pay my parking tickets".

I'm just saying that it DOES matter when you park illegally. If that's a high horse, then yup, I'm riding it.

I'm talking about football parking only - if a paid lot user has ever been turned away, I'd be shocked.

Football parking is what this thread is about, we're not talking about spots on campus.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm talking about football parking only - if a paid lot user has ever been turned away, I'd be shocked.

Football parking is what this thread is about, we're not talking about spots on campus.
Just giving you background into why I'm less forgiving on forging parking passes. Take it for what you want.

Reactions: Ms3r4ISU

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Last year a fan of that TOE came to our tailgate bragging about how he had parked in our restricted lot A3. I could not resist the opportunity. So I dutifully informed him that it is customary for the university to check all parking passes at half time, in which case unauthorized vehicles are towed. My understanding is they were not present for the second half.:D

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Last year a fan of that TOE came to our tailgate bragging about how he had parked in our restricted lot A3. I could not resist the opportunity. So I dutifully informed him that it is customary for the university to check all parking passes at half time, in which case unauthorized vehicles are towed. My understanding is they were not present for the second half.:D
Thank you!

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Sorry to whomever I end up bumping. Gold level donor bumped from the RV lots. I will be moving to a car lot this year.
I got bumped from c4 to c3. I guess 20 years of supporting ****** teams doesn’t pay the bills. That’s over $10,000 donated to make room for guy that has $1,000 to throw at a successful team. Guessing I’ll get it back if we ever suck again as I’m sure they will bail at the first poor season.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
C1/C2 have individually numbered parking spots. When I selected it actually had a parking spot number that I could change.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they start assigning individual spots.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
C1/C2 spots are numbered because they are part of the best parking area for basketball.

Assigning spots everywhere sounds like a good idea until fights start breaking out over "taking spots" or fake tags or whatever.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
C1/C2 spots are numbered because they are part of the best parking area for basketball.

Assigning spots everywhere sounds like a good idea until fights start breaking out over "taking spots" or fake tags or whatever.

Good luck spray painting numbers on the "gravel" in most of the "paved" lots!

• Funny
Reactions: PlanoClone

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I think today or tomorrow is the last day for parking selection. I wonder if all spots everywhere will sell out?

That means we should be getting info about seat selection in the next few days. I believe it was early May last year when that process began.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Good luck spray painting numbers on the "gravel" in most of the "paved" lots!

I've been to Clemson and that his how they do it. They do it along the golf course even. Everywhere you look are bright orange spray painted spots with a number.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Conspiracy theory:

do you think they are reducing the number of spots they assign in the different paved lots? I get there are more joining the higher donor levels, but it seems like the disruption is more than just that.

They seem to have done that for basketball - I got tossed out of D4, but it was never more than half full. And the past 2 years, every time I walk thru there it is even less than half full.

I wonder if JP is reducing the spaces to motivate people to move up a level, as well as clear out some space for a happier parking/tailgating experience.

100% agree in basketball. The whole center is left basically empty. It still sucks leaving most games though.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I should get credit for sons tuition, and his girlfriends since she’s following him. That would bump me up.

His grades should hold up then since he doesn't have to spend time trying to some strange. Bringing it with him should save time and money.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I've been to Clemson and that his how they do it. They do it along the golf course even. Everywhere you look are bright orange spray painted spots with a number.

I think our Ticket Office is going in the opposite direction. They are okay working with individual high end donors for individual spots, but I don't think they want to mess with helping low end donors get spots next to each other. I imagine that there would be a ton of complaints if they went to a complete designated parking system and an enormous amount of work by the Ticket Office staff to try to keep people happy. First come, first served on GameDay seems to work pretty well. I hope it doesn't change.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I got bumped from c4 to c3. I guess 20 years of supporting ****** teams doesn’t pay the bills. That’s over $10,000 donated to make room for guy that has $1,000 to throw at a successful team. Guessing I’ll get it back if we ever suck again as I’m sure they will bail at the first poor season.

I understand that it doesn't feel good to get bumped, especially if your donation level is a sacrifice for you, but we are caught in an inflationary spiral.

So, what would you recommend? Is there a level of donation that is worthy of putting someone ahead of you? Should they rely on years of giving? Total giving over a lifetime? Would this include grandchildren who are still giving in the name of 90 year old grandparents in order to leech off their status?

There don't seem to be great answers for folks like you. The best I can think of is to create a "Legacy Lot" that is only available for people with a certain number of years of giving.

I suspect that the "solution" that's coming is even worse, namely the elimination of parking privileges for $250 (and maybe even $500) donors and/or consolidation of the lower donor levels (with a higher minimum).

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I understand that it doesn't feel good to get bumped, especially if your donation level is a sacrifice for you, but we are caught in an inflationary spiral.

So, what would you recommend? Is there a level of donation that is worthy of putting someone ahead of you? Should they rely on years of giving? Total giving over a lifetime? Would this include grandchildren who are still giving in the name of 90 year old grandparents in order to leech off their status?

There don't seem to be great answers for folks like you. The best I can think of is to create a "Legacy Lot" that is only available for people with a certain number of years of giving.

I suspect that the "solution" that's coming is even worse, namely the elimination of parking privileges for $250 (and maybe even $500) donors and/or consolidation of the lower donor levels (with a higher minimum).

If everyone who wanted a pass in G7 at the $250 level got one this year I don't see it going away anytime soon. Seems there are empty spots even on big games. That could all change if the construction reduces the number of spots.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If everyone who wanted a pass in G7 at the $250 level got one this year I don't see it going away anytime soon. Seems there are empty spots even on big games. That could all change if the construction reduces the number of spots.

Raising the minimum donation level for parking seems inevitable. Perhaps also linked to an increase in the parking fee. $50 is almost ridiculously low. It will be interesting to know the numbers of how many donors upgraded their levels in the last few years (and how many new donors have entered at the lower levels). it is a fascinating weird little economy.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Raising the minimum donation level for parking seems inevitable. Perhaps also linked to an increase in the parking fee. $50 is almost ridiculously low. It will be interesting to know the numbers of how many donors upgraded their levels in the last few years (and how many new donors have entered at the lower levels). it is a fascinating weird little economy.

Inevitable? It's already been done. Used to be able to get into G7 if you were a Century, or even non-NCC yet FB season ticket holder (I think). Now it's States 250 or bust.

To me, it appears the revenue growth strategy from JP is to push folks toward the higher NCC levels, rather than push up parking or even individual ticket prices as much. Maybe we are more psychologically sensitive to ticket and parking than "oh heck let's move up to Cardinal". IDK.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I'm surprised that even being a cyclone club member the parking pass is only $50 for the season. When I wasn't a club member is was $20 each game (20 x 7 games = 140) to park at Hilton which is now a $500 level parking spot.

So two ways one could look at it is either its a perk of being a club member to only pay $50 for parking, or we get a $90 parking discount for being a club member.

Still can't believe the parking passes don't cost at least $100 or more.

schlitzer

Jun 7, 2018
I believe there are just as many fans that have been season ticket holders for quite some time, increasing their donation level. But don't be fooled lots of new faces, since CMC came aboard.