Fred getting killed on TWITTER

CycloneJoe

Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
Stewert Mandel Posted:

One hour before Brady Heiman’s accounting final — his last test of the semester — the 6-foot-11 freshman met with Fred Hoiberg in his office. “He asked me to not return. So I thanked him and then put my name in the (transfer) portal.”

• Optimistic
Reactions: rochclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
If this story is true, which probably is because why would he lie, he absolutely should not have to sit out a year when he switches schools.
Yeahhh, this is where the recruiting/transfer situation gets a bit iffy. Like Bigman said, this happens at a lot of places and isn't abnormal, however if you are being asked to leave against your want/desire, there should be a rule in place to help those kids get to a new place and playing quicker.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Are we pretending this doesn’t happen everywhere?

It’s not that he pushed him out, it’s that he did it an hour before a final. That’s a really ****** thing to do. I’m sure the kid was really focused on his test after realizing he’d have to find a new place to go to college.

Also, I’d think that most players would have been weeded out by now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have to believe that there is more to this story that isn't being told. Like Fred asked each of the kids to meet with him after their finals were completed and this kid scheduled his before his last final because he wanted to immediately get the heck out of Lincoln (who wouldn't?). In such a case, the timing would be on the kid, not Fred.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Pushing a kid out isn't any rare but does the kid usually hop on social media and say thats what happened? Not blaming the kid, I'm sure he was upset but it seems most kid word it a little more pc.

Yeah there’s a reason those kids don’t broadcast that’s what happened. It doesn’t help anyone, especially them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah there’s a reason those kids don’t broadcast that’s what happened. It doesn’t help anyone, especially them.
And if they make it so that a kid pushed out doesn't have to sit a year what is there to keep him from saying he was pushed out even if the coach didn't push him out? Or what is to keep him from sandbagging the end of the season - not showing up for practice so the coach has no choice to ask him to leave? I feel for kids who are pushed out, too, but it isn't quite that easy to fix.