What is your Pet Peeve

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
People who stop right after walking through a door, or get off an escalator or elevator.

Yes, on the escalator, especially at big airports that have monster-sized escalators or multiple ones where you have to get off one and get right on another. If people don't move at the bottom of the escalator, the rest of us get attacked by the moving steps.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Lately it's been 4 way stops. Apparently they are more difficult than I make them.

Yes, 4-way stops. No one seems to know the rules. First one to stop goes. If you stop at the same time, the one to the right goes. Easy. Previously, I would rush to stop so I could get in and out quickly, but the sight of me rushing to the stop sign paralyzes some Iowa drivers, so they just sit there, even though they were clearly there first. Or someone on the right waves me on just because they are so darn Iowa nice. Just follow the rules. Now, I try to pull up more slowly and make sure that I stop after someone else does, but they still wait. Drives me nuts.

P.S. Maybe the problem is my vehicle.

images

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
People who aren't aware (don't read, don't vote, don't care).
People who don't like dogs.

I don't like (many, but not all) dog OWNERS. I cannot be out in my back yard and enjoy it because dog owners that surround me don't care that their dogs bark constantly and without end. And the dogs that crap in my yard, they are just doing what their owners allow them to do. So, dogs are OK. I guess I agree with your first pet peeve, it's the people who are clueless and inconsiderate that bother me.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
People who stand up and/or move down the row while the play is going on. Wait until the play is over. Or better yet, wait for a timeout.

Corollary pet peeve: "Iowa Nice." The reason that so many people stand up and/or move down the row while the play is going on is because no one has ever ripped into them for doing it. If we did a better job of treating idiots like idiots, maybe we would have less idiocy! It doesn't take too many times of having a whole section scream at you for blocking their view to accomplish some significant behavior modification.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Golfers who look for their lost balls for more than a minute or two. It went into the woods. Let it go.
As a hack golfer Topgolf is a god-send. Just get up there and hit the ball. No more worrying about where it went. Let the computer chip register where it landed and tally up points (if it went into an actual target...)

Plus add the fact that it is a protected stall from the sun with fans and the waitress brings you drinks and food quicker than the cart girl makes it all the better...

Reactions: stateofmind

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
When you are going down a street with lots of stoplights and every time you get a green light and get up to speed the next light turns red while the line of cars behind you is long and there is either 0 or 1 car waiting to go.

They're timed up typically which is why it rarely pays to even go 10 mph over the limit. Wastes fuel though as the car accelerates and idles though.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Pet peeve: people smacking their lips eating.

Just hearing people eat in general.

People that have to have their phone on speaker in public for talking or music. You can afford the phone, you can afford ear buds.

When people have to play their music loud enough for everyone else to hear it, like out of their car, boat or house, etc. If the volume is loud enough for you to hear it, nobody else has to.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
They're timed up typically which is why it rarely pays to even go 10 mph over the limit. Wastes fuel though as the car accelerates and idles though.
There are some towns / cities that are better at timing their stop lights to keep traffic flowing. I have one town near me that I think their traffic planning is designed to keep you in town longer by making you stop at 75%+ of the lights.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
Regarding the right turn on red, some intersections it is illegal. I got a camera ticket when making a right turn on red when I couldn't. That makes me a little more tentative when making a right turn on red.

My employer encourages backing into parking spots because they think it is safer.

It is only illegal to turn right on red when there is a sign that states as such, like "No right turn on Red"

No-Right-Turn-Sign-K-9763.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There are some towns / cities that are better at timing their stop lights to keep traffic flowing. I have one town near me that I think their traffic planning is designed to keep you in town longer by making you stop at 75%+ of the lights.

Not in all instances but roundabouts save a lot of the issues. People are against them because they're new, but if they need evidence just check out off ramps that have them and notice how traffic isn't piled up.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
***People that write long responses on a message board. Like you guys care what I have to say, ahem***
I realize these are my problem of not being more accepting.

People that are completely unaware of their surroundings or just don’t care.
-Ones that talk throughout a movie, church, school concerts/plays.
-That sit in the right lane when they could’ve been in the left to allow all of the people behind to turn right on red.
-Talking at twice the volume anybody in the building needs to hear them. We can’t go out anywhere without having this example. I can hear people across the restaurant better than I hear my wife sitting across the table.

Random whining:
-Dragging out an S when singing when the word ends in S. Jesusssssssssss. If you came up short, don’t drag the s out, it’s not a note.
-Open mouth chewers.

Also at baggage claim (all airports) people who must get right up to the belt blocking others from seeing or getting to their own luggage.
I forgot this one, but absolutely LOVE that you brought it up.

Sayings:
-Asking me, “How are you?” Let’s face it, 99.9% of you don’t care about this answer. It has just replaced a simple “hi”.
-“These ones”, it’s either “this one”, or “these”.
-“I know right?”. If you know do you need validation? Or are you smug?

People who say "good" instead of "well," except in response to "How are you?" because responding with "I'm well" sounds pretentious.
Don't ask this question, problem solved. Save it for your close friend that has been unwell.

The word 'whatnot'. It's the word of the idiot. Usually thrown into conversation when the other person's mouth gets ahead of their brain. They can't think of anything else to say so a 'and whatnot' is usually what follows.
Same with typing etc. I do this a LOT, and know it's bad, but I'm pretty much an idiot.

People who back into parking spaces in parking lots. Double pet peeve if the lot has angled parking in one-way aisles.

I hate waiting for people to slowly back into a space when aisles are a lot wider and faster to back into than a parking space.
Most of us that do this understand it sucks to wait for somebody to back in, and so I usually won't when I have people behind me. But because a crew cab truck is almost impossible to pull in to a spot that has cars on both sides, I will drive around to find another spot. Backing in is much safer as you know that somebody hasn't just came in behind you for the most part, and you can see the space prior to backing into it. If you pull in, and back out when you leave you can't see traffic as well. Especially kids walking. Thankful for backup cameras that have really helped with this with the 180 view. Not sure how backs into angled unless it's for ISU games and you are on the end cap and can just drive out. :)

Stopping on a divided four lane street for school busses on the other side. No bus route asks for a kid to walk across five lanes of traffic. I was a bus driver, so unless this has changed since 1989, you don't need to stop.

Reactions: khardbored

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
***People that write long responses on a message board. Like you guys care what I have to say, ahem***
I realize these are my problem of not being more accepting.

People that are completely unaware of their surroundings or just don’t care.
-Ones that talk throughout a movie, church, school concerts/plays.
-That sit in the right lane when they could’ve been in the left to allow all of the people behind to turn right on red.
-Talking at twice the volume anybody in the building needs to hear them. We can’t go out anywhere without having this example. I can hear people across the restaurant better than I hear my wife sitting across the table.

Random whining:
-Dragging out an S when singing when the word ends in S. Jesusssssssssss. If you came up short, don’t drag the s out, it’s not a note.
-Open mouth chewers.

I forgot this one, but absolutely LOVE that you brought it up.

Sayings:
-Asking me, “How are you?” Let’s face it, 99.9% of you don’t care about this answer. It has just replaced a simple “hi”.
-“These ones”, it’s either “this one”, or “these”.
-“I know right?”. If you know do you need validation? Or are you smug?

Don't ask this question, problem solved. Save it for your close friend that has been unwell.

Same with typing etc. I do this a LOT, and know it's bad, but I'm pretty much an idiot.

Most of us that do this understand it sucks to wait for somebody to back in, and so I usually won't when I have people behind me. But because a crew cab truck is almost impossible to pull in to a spot that has cars on both sides, I will drive around to find another spot. Backing in is much safer as you know that somebody hasn't just came in behind you for the most part, and you can see the space prior to backing into it. If you pull in, and back out when you leave you can't see traffic as well. Especially kids walking. Thankful for backup cameras that have really helped with this with the 180 view. Not sure how backs into angled unless it's for ISU games and you are on the end cap and can just drive out. :)

Stopping on a divided four lane street for school busses on the other side. No bus route asks for a kid to walk across five lanes of traffic. I was a bus driver, so unless this has changed since 1989, you don't need to stop.
TL;DR

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
This is gonna get me flamed but I give zero *****.......drivers who think they own the left lane because they’re driving faster. Obviously there is common sense in play here—flow of traffic, doing at the VERY least the speed limit, etc.....but if I’m in the left lane doing 10mph over the limit, no amount of tailgating me or flashing lights will get me to move over. If there is room, go around. Your desire to drive recklessly doesn’t mean I need to switch lanes. The left lane isn’t a license to drive insanely fast.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
This is gonna get me flamed but I give zero *****.......drivers who think they own the left lane because they’re driving faster. Obviously there is common sense in play here—flow of traffic, doing at the VERY least the speed limit, etc.....but if I’m in the left lane doing 10mph over the limit, no amount of tailgating me or flashing lights will get me to move over. If there is room, go around. Your desire to drive recklessly doesn’t mean I need to switch lanes. The left lane isn’t a license to drive insanely fast.
The left lane isn't a place for loitering. It's illegal in most states and hopefully soon in Iowa. What if that person is rushing somebody to the hospital? Most of the time it's non-emergent I'm sure, but is that your place to make the call? https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/s...cle_e92cad01-368c-526b-a63c-f5ca52961e06.html

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
There is a reason it is called an over-taking / passing lane and not "I'm doing x miles over the speed limit so FU and go around me" lane...

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
The left lane isn't a place for loitering. It's illegal in most states and hopefully soon in Iowa. What if that person is rushing somebody to the hospital? Most of the time it's non-emergent I'm sure, but is that your place to make the call? https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/s...cle_e92cad01-368c-526b-a63c-f5ca52961e06.html

It’s not illegal here. And the emergency thing is a straw man argument. Nobody here was arguing keeping the left lane open for emergencies—they want it clear so they can fly through. I don’t park in the left lane, but I’m not about to get over behind a semi when I’m doing 10 mph over just so some tailgater can race past me at 25 over. Wanting to drive recklessly fast doesn’t give you dibs to the left lane.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
There is a reason it is called an over-taking / passing lane and not "I'm doing x miles over the speed limit so FU and go around me" lane...
It’s also not called the “Im faster so I can legally tailgate you lane.”

The self righteousness of some drivers amazes me. God forbid you get to your destination 2 minutes later and screw everyone else who drives reasonably