***OFFICIAL AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILER THREAD WITHOUT PERSONAL ATTACKS***

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Comic books themselves are gimmicky plots and far fetched non-scientific non-realistic scenarios. When they bring dead characters back to life that's a comic book staple too. Nothing would be more "comic book" than having another Iron Man movie even after the last scenes of Endgame.

In this '90-'91 comic story (Thanos Quest 1-2, Infinity Gauntlet 1-6) the "snap" is the half way point of a story that does not involve time travel. After Thanos defeats the half of the heroes that are left in a space battle about a dozen cosmic gods join forces to battle him (Galactus and others like him), Thanos defeats the gods, in doing so he becomes the embodiment of the entire universe rendering his physical form obsolete because he is all reality at once...in this initial moment of realization he forgets about his physical form with a barely alive tortured disgusting Nebula very near the gauntlet, she grabs it and chaos ensues with a sort of free for all.

I suspect that outerspace god battle I just described would turn off religious people and may not have filmed well, instead time travel was a fun device for what is the ultimate popcorn movie that doesn't intend to be The Godfather or 2001.

Regardless of the religious people, the only celestial the MCU introduced so far was Ego. Inserting them into this movie would have been a mess. This plot would not have translated well to mass audiences.

The comics' original Thanos plot was to destroy to court Mistress Death, which was also not used. I don't think that plot would have translated well as well.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Regardless of the religious people, the only celestial the MCU introduced so far was Ego. Inserting them into this movie would have been a mess. This plot would not have translated well to mass audiences.

The comics' original Thanos plot was to destroy to court Mistress Death, which was also not used. I don't think that plot would have translated well as well.

This is true...yet the first movie did roughly follow a lot of things and this one practically nothing.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

This is true...yet the first movie did roughly follow a lot of things and this one practically nothing.

I can see setting up some cosmic, tripping plot like that might have been time-consuming and difficult beyond even what they already did the past decade.

It might have ultimately been easier to follow and more meaningful than using time-travel as a plot eraser to undo much of what happened in Infinity War.

I thought there was some reports they were going in a "cosmic" direction in the next Phase, though, building from the Guardians and spreading out from there.

I will say, though, I like their reworking on Thanos from a, well, very comic-booky death cult worshiper sort into what amounts to a "realistic" Malthusian. Despite being a purple dude from Titan, he is by far the most realistic and grounded of the Marvel villains.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I can see setting up some cosmic, tripping plot like that might have been time-consuming and difficult beyond even what they already did the past decade.

It might have ultimately been easier to follow and more meaningful than using time-travel as a plot eraser to undo much of what happened in Infinity War.

I thought there was some reports they were going in a "cosmic" direction in the next Phase, though, building from the Guardians and spreading out from there.

I will say, though, I like their reworking on Thanos from a, well, very comic-booky death cult worshiper sort into what amounts to a "realistic" Malthusian. Despite being a purple dude from Titan, he is by far the most realistic and grounded of the Marvel villains.

Like @laminak said originally he is consumed with love of Mistress Death and doing most of this to win her. In these films they instead give her general desires to Thanos himself. There is some drama they missed out on with that since she is unimpressed with his achievements at every turn which drives him more and more mad and driving him mad is clearly a tiny window of success for our heroes.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
So, for 5 years the universe adjusted to having half the living creatures - then all of the sudden in a snap the population instantly doubles. Just think of that chaos - there would not be enough of anything - food, shelter, water, infrastructure.... A lot of people would have moved on and started new lives - jobs, re-married and started new families. I am not sure it would be as happy a moment as the movie made it out to be.

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
I think they try to hint at this when they show New York. There are a crap ton of boats in the harbor around the Statue of Liberty. I think the directors do that to show that things still aren't going well and things haven't established yet.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
So to try and get this on track...

I still don't get their time travel explanation. So if they go back and affect the past, it's an alternate timeline and won't affect their own timeline. Yet when Can goes back at the end, he stays in the past timeline yet shows up in the current timeline. He shouldn't exist at all in their current timeline after going back. He should grow old in the alternate timeline and thus never had the opportunity to be sitting their giving the shield to Sam.

Easy I think, he went back, lived in a different timeline with Carter (what he always wanted). Once she passed away in that timeline he returned using his bracelet to the original timeline to give shield to Sam.

* Disclaimer, I only have a 4 year college degree and that explanation works for me and allows me to enjoy the movie ending.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Like @laminak said originally he is consumed with love of Mistress Death and doing most of this to win her. In these films they instead give her general desires to Thanos himself. There is some drama they missed out on with that since she is unimpressed with his achievements at every turn which drives him more and more mad and driving him mad is clearly a tiny window of success for our heroes.

Was Mistress Death a fan of An Essay on the Principle of Population, too?

What were her motivations/her angle?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Was Mistress Death a fan of An Essay on the Principle of Population, too?

What were her motivations/her angle?

She is more one of those cosmic being god-like entities. Like Satan but not with death as a sort of punishment or afterlife, more like a god of all death as a greek god would have been the god of a certain thing.

When the cosmic gods all battle Thanos she joins the cosmic gods fighting against him. When he defeats them and imprisons them she is among the imprisoned gods. It really drives him kind of nuts that she doesn't approve of him.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For sure. I think they were both well done. However the last 20 minutes of the movie is really an RDJ sendoff. We get to see him with Peter and Iron Pepper as he takes his last breaths. We get to see his own obit. We watch the funeral, time with Morgan, etc.

That girl likes cheeseburgers like Tony. That means she'll have all of his skills in a few years :)

Also the parts with his dad earlier were the same as you're saying.

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC

KHoing07

Jun 20, 2018
So to try and get this on track...

I still don't get their time travel explanation. So if they go back and affect the past, it's an alternate timeline and won't affect their own timeline. Yet when Can goes back at the end, he stays in the past timeline yet shows up in the current timeline. He shouldn't exist at all in their current timeline after going back. He should grow old in the alternate timeline and thus never had the opportunity to be sitting their giving the shield to Sam.
Here is my thought. Cap was frozen in ice for 60 some years. So when he goes back in time to be with Peggy it doesn't change anything of his timeline since he would still be frozen. Unlike most people who would run the risk of running into themselves he already knows that will not happen so it doesn't change anything. When all the events happen in the movies he would already be old and just let his original version of himself deal with everything.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I was impressed. I think everyone had high expectations and it did not disappoint. That is hard to do. People can nitpick and i'm sure there are a few "holes", some hard to identify, others not really. But that doesn't matter. It was a great movie and can't wait to watch it again.

I'm not talking about this movie...but the MCU in general. They planned this out well. So many callbacks and ties to the previous movies. Things from the others setting this one up. Well done and very well done with their secrecy...not spoiling these movies for everyone either. Some things got out, but this was kept about as secret as you could possibly expect.

Part of me is a little sad, even though I know there will be Phase 4 coming.

Had I been drinking at the time, the build-a-bear comment would have made me do a spit take. Going to miss that from Iron Man

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Here is my thought. Cap was frozen in ice for 60 some years. So when he goes back in time to be with Peggy it doesn't change anything of his timeline since he would still be frozen. Unlike most people who would run the risk of running into themselves he already knows that will not happen so it doesn't change anything. When all the events happen in the movies he would already be old and just let his original version of himself deal with everything.

That works for me too.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I was impressed. I think everyone had high expectations and it did not disappoint. That is hard to do. People can nitpick and i'm sure there are a few "holes", some hard to identify, others not really. But that doesn't matter. It was a great movie and can't wait to watch it again.[/SPOILER]

Who else was watching to see if they returned the hammer?

Reactions: CycoCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron