Wonder if LW gets to play in the G-league "combine?"

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-to-host-inaugural-elite-camp/

This will be interesting to me. As I understand it, the next 40 nba draft eligible players who don't make the top 60 invites to the real combine, will play in the G-league combine. There's an outside chance a few top players from this 2-day deal get the invite to the real combine.

So let's say LW plays in the G league camp and doesn't make it to the official combine, he'll know he's at best not in the top 60 players. And he might not even get a G-league spot. Does he want to go to Korea like Burton?

Just my hunch, but if LW get at least some sort of G-league guarantee he should take it. If not, does that slightly open the door to returning to ISU???

I was at 0% chance of returning, but maybe its 5%?

• Optimistic
Reactions: oldman

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I am not in the know at all and don't directly know anyone in the know, but based off some things I've seen here and (mostly) other boards, I think the chances are a lot higher that he comes back than what the initial thought was

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Lindell can only improve his stock by coming back..because he isn’t getting drafted and imo if he doesn’t get a g league combine invite he should return to isu...like that day. If he doesn’t get a g league combine invite theres zero chance he signs a 2 way deal.

Waiting a year isn’t gong to effect his g league potential...but returning and running the team and improving his game significantly sure could open some scouts eyes..

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I am not in the know at all and don't directly know anyone in the know, but based off some things I've seen here and (mostly) other boards, I think the chances are a lot higher that he comes back than what the initial thought was

I think Ames would be a perfect place for him. I think being in a backcourt with Haliburton and Nixon would allow Lindell to develop his offense quite a bit.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
This is the minority but I think it’s 50% he returns. One good year puts him in 1st round. Huge financial upside. I think the staff is letting him see for himself.
Wigginton is coming back. THT, on the other hand, isn't. Lard isn't going to get an invite either, but I don't think he's going to come back to ISU.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Shawker

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
Next year's team is built for Lindell because his scoring is needed. On last year's team you could sense his indecisiveness with Shayock and THT on the court with him. Plus he was coming off the bench.

Should he come back? I think so. Will he? I highly doubt it. Seems like he's made up his mind.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Next year's team is built for Lindell because his scoring is needed. On last year's team you could sense his indecisiveness with Shayock and THT on the court with him. Plus he was coming off the bench.

Should he come back? I think so. Will he? I highly doubt it. Seems like he's made up his mind.

Yes, it would be interesting to know if (and I said "if") his NBA and/or G-League options weren't what he had hoped, does he 'want' to come back? Or rather go overseas. Best of luck to him, regardless.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Lindell can only improve his stock by coming back..because he isn’t getting drafted and imo if he doesn’t get a g league combine invite he should return to isu...like that day. If he doesn’t get a g league combine invite theres zero chance he signs a 2 way deal.

Waiting a year isn’t gong to effect his g league potential...but returning and running the team and improving his game significantly sure could open some scouts eyes..
Agree with almost all of this post, except “come back and run the team.” He could be our best player and leading scorer, but he has not remotely demonstrated point guard skills - if that is what you mean by run the team.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
no way, he was hell bent on leaving. He will go play oversees before coming back

Kids can change their minds pretty quickly at his age. I would hope he takes in all feedback and then makes the right choice accordingly.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Has LW received a G league combine invite? Combine is in 11 days...I’d think with travel etc..they would have to know by now..

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I ultimately don't think Lindell will come back and I will be rooting for him on his next spot.

The fact he is attending classes and ISU appears to be holding a roster spot for him allowing him to return it is something he should consider. I assume Prohm is talking to time even re-recruiting him showing the opportunity he could have to be the man on the team next year and get drafted next. Until there is an official word or the draft deadline passes there is a glimmer of hope it could happen. Selfishly it would be fun to have him as a Cyclone one more year.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
no way, he was hell bent on leaving. He will go play oversees before coming back
Well, something has to give. His comments have suggested he was hell bent on getting to the NBA. Not leaving ISU or playing professionally in the G-league or overseas, getting to the NBA. There are plenty of guys with little chance of getting drafted that still go through the process and workouts with that "it only takes one team" mindset. Once reality hits a lot come back. The reality that even a 2-way contract seems like a longshot has to be sinking in, and he'll have to either decide he's going to give it another shot at ISU or probably toil overseas or in the G-league, where the odds of getting to the NBA are not good. Not to say he can't buck those odds like Burton, but every guy probably thinks that and almost none make it to the league, at least for any significant period.

With THT there was a lot of risk coming back to ISU for his second year. With Lindell, there really isn't much. It would have to be pretty disastrous for his pro prospects to get worse for next year. Would love to see him back with ISU, but if not I hope he can beat the odds and make it to the NBA in the next couple of years.