Sleep Number Beds

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I have had one for about 10 years, when I was a bachelor, I loved it but it is one that has the option for both sides to adjust to their preference. Sleeping by myself, with the settings the same on each side was great, I loved it.

After the gf, now wife moved in, she adjusted he side. This makes for a dropoff in the middle of the bed because I'm a firm, she's a soft. If you end up moving over there while sleeping or trying to cuddle, whatever, it can be very uncomfortable. It has messed my back up big time, I get a better sleep on the couch. I'm in the middle of a "cutting the wife off" in protest to get a new bed, its not working, in fact, I think she enjoys having the bed to herself.

• Funny
Reactions: BetterThanYou

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I have had one for about 10 years, when I was a bachelor, I loved it but it is one that has the option for both sides to adjust to their preference. Sleeping by myself, with the settings the same on each side was great, I loved it.

After the gf, now wife moved in, she adjusted he side. This makes for a dropoff in the middle of the bed because I'm a firm, she's a soft. If you end up moving over there while sleeping or trying to cuddle, whatever, it can be very uncomfortable. It has messed my back up big time, I get a better sleep on the couch. I'm in the middle of a "cutting the wife off" in protest to get a new bed, its not working, in fact, I think she enjoys having the bed to herself.
How does it compare to a standard mattress for activities other than sleeping?

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Which pillow did you have? I tried the ComfortFit curved at the store and I liked it.

I have trouble finding pillows and I've tried everything from memory foam to My Pillow. End up just getting the cheap $7 ones from Walmart because they're the most comfortable even though they don't last long.

I am a side sleeper and tried the firm curved pillow first. It was awful, so I traded it in for the medium curved one, and still the same thing. I think the curve makes more sense for side sleepers in theory, but when you have spent your entire life adjusting normal pillows to work for you and then try the curved option it ends up being worse. Just my 2 cents worth.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
How does it compare to a standard mattress for activities other than sleeping?

Its great for board games and stuff like that. Hide and seek, ect.

Oh, the other bedroom activity? I prefer it too our memory foam mattress. It had no bounce back whatever, with the sleep number you need to remember to flatten out the bed before playing. I do prefer to crank up the head part for different position.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Oh, the other bedroom activity? I prefer it too our memory foam mattress. It had no bounce back whatever, with the sleep number you need to remember to flatten out the bed before playing. I do prefer to crank up the head part for different position.
giphy.gif

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Got one a little over a year ago and it has probably saved me from major back surgery. We got the model that allows each person to raise/lower both legs and torso. Have multiple bulging disc's in the lower back that were causing me pain. Couldn't sleep through the night and walked hunched over. Could only walk a few hundred yards until I had to sit due to pain and numbness. Had 2 steroid epidurals which helped but only lasted a few weeks and were expensive. Got the bed and the pain is pretty much gone. I'm back to almost full activities. Don't know the specifics of your problems but I think this helped me because it eased off pressure on my lower back and pinched nerves which reduced the inflammation.

I don't think it was something magical with the Sleep Number brand, pretty much any therapy bed that allowed me to raise my legs and torso would have done the same. But it was a godsend and I would have paid double for it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

That was a bad plan, her side piece thanks you though.

• Funny
Reactions: heitclone

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Got one a little over a year ago and it has probably saved me from major back surgery. We got the model that allows each person to raise/lower both legs and torso. Have multiple bulging disc's in the lower back that were causing me pain. Couldn't sleep through the night and walked hunched over. Could only walk a few hundred yards until I had to sit due to pain and numbness. Had 2 steroid epidurals which helped but only lasted a few weeks and were expensive. Got the bed and the pain is pretty much gone. I'm back to almost full activities. Don't know the specifics of your problems but I think this helped me because it eased off pressure on my lower back and pinched nerves which reduced the inflammation.

I don't think it was something magical with the Sleep Number brand, pretty much any therapy bed that allowed me to raise my legs and torso would have done the same. But it was a godsend and I would have paid double for it.

Not to derail, but sounds like you need/needed a visit or 10 to a Chiropractor.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Like others have said, it's great for if you want a firm mattress and wife wants a soft one. I'm usually set at 85 where wife is at 35, which is a huge difference. Getting "caught" in the middle is a real thing, but not that big of a deal compared to not being able to sleep at all. Sometimes I turn my wife's up a bit - she can't tell the difference. I'm so glad she isn't a regular on CF. :)