Iowa State Center Redevelopment: Power & Light 2.0???

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
The Iowa State Center plan (public space near Hilton) has no traction and it seems some different visioning is needed. Cities like Lincoln (and KC on a bigger scale) have built public entertainment spaces near sports venues with a lot of success, despite having different sized cities and different land situations.

What we have now:
isu7.jpg

What Lincoln, NE has near Pinnacle Bank Arena:
5bb509829c589.image.jpg

Kansas City (P&L)
IMG_1727_0.JPG

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It would be cool, but I imagine a lot of opposition coming from the owners in the other restaurant/bar districts (Campustown, Main Street, Somerset, Duff). Maybe the place to start would be a temporary P&L pavilion that serves conventions and on GameDays.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
It would be cool, but I imagine a lot of opposition coming from the owners in the other restaurant/bar districts (Campustown, Main Street, Somerset, Duff). Maybe the place to start would be a temporary P&L pavilion that serves conventions and on GameDays.

Some competition might be what the night life scene in all three of those places need...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I saw a plaque there once that called that area "Harvester Court."

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Lincoln and KC have a "downtown" in those areas while ISU does not.
I personally think the area in between Hilton CY should have been the practice facility location but I know Jensen had his land available.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It really is an area that could use a face-lift. I like it as a flexible space that can be used during game day for football or basketball, at least initially. I'd think there would be some potential to grow it into something more though.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
It really is an area that could use a face-lift. I like it as a flexible space that can be used during game day for football or basketball, at least initially. I'd think there would be some potential to grow it into something more though.

Yeah it doesn't have to be as grand as a P&L, but even one stand-alone bar and a Cy's Locker Room there that's open during non gamedays would be neat.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
There are significantly better uses of that money.

My guess is that it would need to be a venture between the City/University/Athletics/Private Developer. The hurdle would be getting them all to play nicely... which there isn't much history showing they'd be willing to do that.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I think this is a better idea for DM and WFA than Ames, I'm not sure a city that small could keep something like that busy year round without relocating the night scene all together.

With a bunch of major dorms and greek life right there, having establishments like a BWWs even or any establishment allowing minors until 9 could be quite profitable. The university is right across the street practically and the 23 bus is super convenient.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think the plan for Lincoln Way & Kellough has a mini-P&L concept on the ground level and young professional apartments on the upper levels.

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
Something for fans that would make the university more money is an awesome idea. It would be a great selling point for both major sports. It makes too much sense to me, don't understand why so many aren't on board. We all support the scheman building the fisher theatre, yet most of us don't use it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems like all the university focus is currently on the Jack Trice end of the parking lots. A P&L district near Scheman would draw attention away from the new pavilion by Jack Trice.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Although there is some construction project starting between Stephens and Scheman. They put up fencing. Not sure for what.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I don't think anything outdoor is worth building for 7 days each year

There are numerous conventions at Schemen, concerts at Hilton, shows at Stephens... and this could lure new events to those venues. There are also three huge dorm towers and a thriving Greek community within two blocks who would frequent businesses (if they're the correct businesses) often due to sheer proximity.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan23

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron