RECRUITING: Caleb Grill updates recruitment; eyeing April official visits

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Jerry Meyer just put in a CB for Wheeler to Georgia...So....0-2..

As for Johnson the sit out...I would sure have hoped if we are going to take our time with a sit out that it would be a little higher caliber player..Any other P5 schools after J Johnson?

And some of you keep saying that landing any of these 3 HS kids isn’t make or break...Outside of TH, Nixon, and incoming frosh Tre, we have no guards.

I’m as excited about Tre as anyone but he’s a frosh..what if he’s just not ready? What if someone gets hurt? Not to mention that as of right now we are sitting at 9 player roster.

Is the sky falling? No but it sure ain’t sunny and 70 right now.

One crystal ball is the end?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

As for Johnson the sit out...I would sure have hoped if we are going to take our time with a sit out that it would be a little higher caliber player..Any other P5 schools after J Johnson?

And some of you keep saying that landing any of these 3 HS kids isn’t make or break...Outside of TH, Nixon, and incoming frosh Tre, we have no guards.
Houston has some interest in Johnson and Sampson has a good eye (although that is in part due to his coaching). What do we see that other P5’s do not? It probably starts with looking past the Troy numbers. He’s a guy Kane recruited in the past, so I’m guessing our staff knows more about him than nearly any other P5 that is looking to add a sit out wing/small-ball four.

I agree that adding Wheeler or Nadolny would have been tangible, although even more so for 2020-21. Hopefully we get lucky and Wigginton comes back and/or we get a good surprise commitment out of Wheeler, Gilder, or Tucker. There will be a few new candidates as the draft prospects and summer graduates finalize.

• Optimistic
Reactions: MartinCy

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
That belief stems from the Hoiberg years when we did get all the great Grad transfers. What everyone needs to realize is that nobody else was playing that game back then, and everybody is playing it now.
Yep. We really didn't get that many, even then. Kane and Dejean-Jones were the only high level ones. Dejean-Jones kind of flamed out at the end too. Jake Anderson was pretty good, on a really bad team. On a tournament level team, he would have been a 8-12 min. a game player. So we got 2 good ones, in 5 years under Hoiberg, when it was much easier to get them, like you said.

• Disagree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I’m as excited about Tre as anyone but he’s a frosh..what if he’s just not ready? What if someone gets hurt? Not to mention that as of right now we are sitting at 9 player roster.

You can replay those questions each and every year...

As to what do we do? We sit back and watch these kids who have committed to CSP and ISU develop and work hard to be the best players and the best team they can be. That's most of the joy for me anyway - watching kids become young men we can all be proud of.

Wins are great and that's how any team is remembered (except for any CSP team for large swaths of fan) but if you're not a long-view person there will be scarce moments of happiness as these kids grow in fits and spurts.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yep. We really didn't get that many, even then. Kane and Dejean-Jones were the only high level ones. Dejean-Jones kind of flamed out at the end too. Jake Anderson was pretty good, on a really bad team. On a tournament level team, he would have been a 8-12 min. a game player. So we got 2 good ones, in 5 years under Hoiberg, when it was much easier to get them, like you said.

I know Jake signed after Fred was hired. But I’m almost positive he was in the works when McDermott was still the coach.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

Is the sky falling? No but it sure ain’t sunny and 70 right now.

Where are you getting a 9 player roster at?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
tenor.gif

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Maybe he has seen the future and there will be an injury.
Prophetic ability isn’t really needed to accurately state there will be an injury at some point.

We’ll add someone. We’ve got bigger issues than being able to go 5 on 5 in all practices, but then again, that’s been used as a crutch before.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Prophetic ability isn’t really needed to accurately state there will be an injury at some point.

We’ll add someone. We’ve got bigger issues than being able to go 5 on 5 in all practices, but then again, that’s been used as a crutch before.
plus they have walk ons to use for scrimmage.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron