Jalen Suggs info (recruiting)

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
A couple North Carolina players did it for a few years and then both quit the basketball team. Can't remember who it was. I will try and find it.

• It was Julious Peppers
Also Tony Gonzalez did it at Cal pretty successfully.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
The last person I remember doing this was Stevie Johnson in 2000. Has anyone done it since?
To that point, I think he only did 1 season of football because he only had 1 semester of eligibility left after his 'senior' year. IE play fall football, but wasn't eligible for the spring semester of BB.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Comparing practice/travel/schedule/anything regimes from D1 to HS is not even in the same ballpark.

D1 football and track are much easier to accomplish than a crossover winter sport like basketball.

It can be done, but will be splitting quite a bit of time between the two.
Basketball practice begins after football has only played about 1/3 of the season. And football season ends after basketball has played about 1/3 of its season.

The difference in the time commitments for the "sundry" stuff (again, see my list of stuff from band to spirit squad to trainers and the like) scales up to a huge degree, as well.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
A couple North Carolina players did it for a few years and then both quit the basketball team. Can't remember who it was. I will try and find it.

• It was Julious Peppers
Also Tony Gonzalez did it at Cal pretty successfully.

They made the right choice!

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Antwan Randle El was an elite QB for IU and also played on the bball team back in the late 90's early 2000's time period.

He joined the team after FBall season was over and worked himself into the rotation enough to play some at IU.

I think Suggs is a better bball player than ARE, such that I think he'd be able to transition even quicker than ARE.

Dream Scenario: (Inverse of Stevie Johnson) I'm not sure if Campbell would allow it or not, but (last year being an exception) most QBs don't see much PT their first 1-3 years, such that Suggs could potentially be on the FB team, but "focus" on bball his first few years until he made the 2 deep roster as a RS Jr/Sr. I know its unrealistic, but I'd sure take it if he could play 4 years of bball (assuming he doesn't leave for the NBA) and then be our starting QB after that.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
It's much more of a commitment in college than high school. I'm friends with a player on the fb team and he really doesn't have much/any free time during the season. I could see someone doing both football and track but football season slips into basketball season. So either he'd miss the end of the football season or miss some non-conference basketball games.

I'd love to get this kid, but I don't know how realistic it is to play both sports at this level.

Julius Peppers did it for 2 years.

• Informative
Reactions: IaState2021

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The difference in the time commitments for the "sundry" stuff (again, see my list of stuff from band to spirit squad to trainers and the like) scales up to a huge degree, as well.
Im not saying those don’t scale up from HS to college, but not to the degree Football and MBB do. And not just from a practice and game standpoint, but strength training and conditioning, film watch, team/position meetings, tutors, interviews, traveling, etc.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Charlie Ward won the Heisman and then played in the NBA. But it takes a special guy to be able to succeed at both with the time commitment that the sports require let alone go to class and stay eligible.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I'd be curious if Suggs is committed to playing QB if he plays football in college, or if he would consider playing WR. I'm not doubting his ability at QB, but playing WR would require less time devoted to football outside of practice, I would assume. We also already have a QB committed for the class of 2020 in Aidan Bouman.

I would also be curious what his long-term plans are. Clearly he's a blue-chip basketball recruit. Does he want to be a one and done? In that case, playing football would be pretty useless, as he likely would be a redshirt, anyways. Or is he looking at being at a school for four years and doing something that no one has ever done before in playing both football and basketball at an extremely high level?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No college coach really wants him to play both sports if they are being honest about it, but if that's what he wants (right now) and that's what it takes to get him to their school that's what they will say.
They are probably hopeful that a dose of Div 1 athlete reality will get him to change his mind in short order.

However, if he somehow manages to make it work, more power to him.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Guys manage to do it in high school.

You would think one sport would serve as cross-training for the other.

A lot of the "sundry" students attached to the athletics program (e.g., band members, dance squad, cheerleaders, athletic trainers, student managers, etc.) put in the same time that the athletes themselves do yet manage to do it over multiple seasons.

True but isn't it more typical that the high school football season ends before basketball practice starts, as opposed to college where they mesh?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
But Stevie played football after his eligibility for basketball was over.

I remember Julius Peppers played both at UNC. Of course he probably didn't have to actually take classes while he was there.

Tony Gonzalez.

Also it needs to be noted that these two are absolute freaks.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
No college coach really wants him to play both sports if they are being honest about it, but if that's what he wants (right now) and that's what it takes to get him to their school that's what they will say.

Probably not, but with basketball talent like that, I'm quite sure Coach Prohm would take that combination in a heartbeat.

str8cashhomie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 15, 2014
I follow the Timberwolves heavily and their beat writers cross over into local HS coverage. It seemed like they'd always had the understanding that he likes doing both and would be successful doing either in college, but that he's well aware his money is in the NBA when it's all said and done, and he's a one and done, lottery pick talent if he doesn't screw it up playing football.

The fact he's entertaining both though seems like A) a new development and B) the best case for keeping him from being a Duke/Kentucky/UNC lock

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
They are probably hopeful that a dose of Div 1 athlete reality will get him to change his mind in short order.

However, if he somehow manages to make it work, more power to him.

Exactly what they are planning on happening - they don't have to be the bad guy and say he can't do it, he will just realize once he is in it that it's best to pick one.

There are always exceptions where someone can excel at both, but it's really hard just from a time-management standpoint.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron