Warm bedroom due to sun location - will this do anything?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Where should I put the fan?

• Total voters

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
How do the portable units work? Do they have to be vented outside? I’ve seen some “coolers” that appear to be fans with mist. Is this something different?

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Don't do it. All it will do is make you married to a wife who can't sleep without the sound of a fan. Then all of a sudden you're on a trip in a hotel and she's freaking out because there is no fan, so you have to stay up as she tries out 10 faux fan sounding apps until she finds one she can blare right next to you.

Sound machine FTW. Never slept as well in a hotel

We have a couple white noise machines, one for the bedroom and one for the wife when she travels. I'd definitely recommend looking into it

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Isn't there a fan that can be attached to your vent in order to pull more AC into the room from the ducts?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Two fans: One low blowing cool air in from the hallway, and one high sucking the rising warm air out and blowing it into the hallway.

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
Not being a smart azz, but can you plant a tree? Thats one of the best ways to help with afternoon solar loading. long term
ummm...it's arizona.....desert, hot.....maybe a cactus at most? unless you can skirt the water use requirements and drip irrigate a new tree.....then just wait about 20 years.

• Funny
Reactions: jdcyclone19

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Lobby beers can be expensive. 6 pack of 16 oz and ice in the sink to keep them cold is how I usually travel.
Nothing wrong with that plan. You can always bring them down for some people watching too.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
How do the portable units work? Do they have to be vented outside? I’ve seen some “coolers” that appear to be fans with mist. Is this something different?

There's an exhaust vent that must go outside.
s-l1000.jpg

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I must be cheap, our house is set at 76 when we are home and 80 when we aren't. You have your house cooler than I do in Iowa when you sleep.
Yeah, our A/C is off most of the time and set at 80 when we do turn it on. We live most of the summer with our windows open but we don't live in a fricken desert so that probably isn't germane to the conversation.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Don't do it. All it will do is make you married to a wife who can't sleep without the sound of a fan. Then all of a sudden you're on a trip in a hotel and she's freaking out because there is no fan, so you have to stay up as she tries out 10 faux fan sounding apps until she finds one she can blare right next to you.

I swear, I ask her a lot of the fan is on the lowest setting. And if if is, why it sounds like a freaking jet engine.

#ImGoingToTheCouch

• Funny
Reactions: Farnsworth

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Short term, as someone mentioned, I’d invest in thermostat with multiple sensors.

Long term, I’d figure out why why so hot. Could be bad/damaged duct as someone mentioned. Or if you have attic, it’s likely not venting properly. We added some roof vents to help circulate that warm air out of attic that was causing 2nd floor to not cool.

Add me to the thermostat in 68-69 range.

When you said yours is 75 or 85, thought you might be my in-laws.

Jiffycy

Jul 27, 2014
I would try blocking the cold air from flowing down the stairs. Cold air is mostly in the bottom 3' of your room and it will flow down the stairway into your bottom floor forcing hot air from the first floor to flow up to the second floor. We put a piece of foam-core across the hallway at the top of our stairs and it made a lot of difference within a few minutes. We keep it up all the time and just think of it as a gate when we go up and down the stairs. You can get foam-core at Hobby Lobby or Micheal's for a few bucks a 32x40 sheet. If your hallway is more then 40" just get 2 sheets and use the handy mans helper to make it the right size. I think you will notice a big difference.

• Creative
Reactions: JMA1125

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
You guys that set your thermostat in the 60s, do you call and complain about your electric bill each month? Jeesh. The recommended setting is like 78. We set ours at 77-78 and crank up the ceiling fans.

• Disagree
Reactions: TXCyclones