When does the first round drought end?

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I think it depends upon when those multiple guys get drafted. Presuming we always have at least a handful of guys that are camp worthy, two of three late day three guys vs. one first rounder - give me the first rounder. If we CONSISTENTLY produce three to four drafted guys a year with at least one day two guy that slides into a mock first, I agree.

What I'm getting at is if/when we have multiple guys drafted 2nd round or later it likely means our team will be good consistently.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Nothing against Hockinson or Fant, but, I'm not sure why anyone would take a tight end in the first round, let alone the 8th pick. That's insane. Decent tight ends, like running backs, really aren't that difficult to find and/or develop. I would think quarterbacks, defensive front seven, Oline and secondary would be a much bigger priority. Then wide outs, then running backs, then tight ends, and then kickers and punters. But, whatever.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Everyone poo pooing the first round draft drought needs to stop. It is downright embarrassing and it needs to end. Will McDonald, Ray Lima, and Uwazurike are guys I could see do it. Otherwise if Kolar can step up and develop the way Jay Jordan thinks he can he could be a candidate down the road. Maybe one of the road graders becomes a stud at some point...idk. But stop with all this team game, would rather have multiple guys drafted than one stud bs. Let's get this monkey off our back.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Nothing against Hockinson or Fant, but, I'm not sure why anyone would take a tight end in the first round, let alone the 8th pick. That's insane. Decent tight ends, like running backs, really aren't that difficult to find and/or develop. I would think quarterbacks, defensive front seven, Oline and secondary would be a much bigger priority. Then wide outs, then running backs, then tight ends, and then kickers and punters. But, whatever.

It is sort of a trend. NFL teams are looking at TEs because they can be so versatile. They can be moved around to block, catch a short pass, with some speed against a LBer they can be a bit of a threat. Fant is really talented, but the guy can't or won't block, so taking him in the first round is a bit of a risk.

As far as someone being a first rounder out of ISU, it would be nice, but getting a couple guys drafted would be a huge step in the right direction. It will happen when it happens.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Everyone poo pooing the first round draft drought needs to stop. It is downright embarrassing and it needs to end. Will McDonald, Ray Lima, and Uwazurike are guys I could see do it. Otherwise if Kolar can step up and develop the way Jay Jordan thinks he can he could be a candidate down the road. Maybe one of the road graders becomes a stud at some point...idk. But stop with all this team game, would rather have multiple guys drafted than one stud bs. Let's get this monkey off our back.

Who cares? It’s out of our control. There are like 50 things I’m more invested in that I want to see happen before getting a first round draft pick in the NFL.

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
Everyone poo pooing the first round draft drought needs to stop.

Thanks for your concern, I'll keep my own opinions if that is okay with you?

I know next to nothing about Will and hoping he is the player everyone says, but Lima and Uwazurike are absolute studs I love, but I don't see them in the first round. That would be absolutely great if I am wrong, I'll own it, but that is what I see.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If Will McDonald is as talented as advertised, he would be my guess.

Yeah, I don’t think Enyi would be slotted into a position (run-stopping DE) that gets drafted in the first round very often.

I’m hoping McDonald could be similar to that Burns guy drafted at 16

Reactions: aauummm

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Uwazurike needs to make a huge jump next year to get into that conversation. He'll probably be drafted 3-5th round as a project though. If McDonald turns out to be the freak he is with the ability to play multiple positions, he might have a chance. The NFL seems to love guys like that.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I can't figure out what you are saying. We aren't supposed to worry about the monkey? Or we are supposed to stop talking about the streak? Or we are supposed to stop talking about how we won't end the streak? Asking for a friend so he can do what you want...

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Osemele should have been 1st round. Long term- a stud lineman really is our best bet.

Since tight ends are currently so in vogue, Charlie Kolar may indeed have a legit shot if he becomes a formidable weapon for us the next few seasons. Someone has to fill the production voids left by Montgomery & Butler.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'd like the drought to end soon, if no other reason than to be able to see it happen, watch an ISU player make the walk to the stage. As stated previously, it's all beyond our control.

Gun-to-my-head, I'd prefer getting players into the league consistently over a span of several years, then having them make a notable impact once they make it. The draft-day hype fades, long-term relevance can endure.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I will be completely shocked if Purdy is anything close to a 1st round pick like many of you think. He’s not a prototypical NFL QB like Brady or Manning and he’s not athletic enough to be Kyler or Baker.

It will be a an O or D lineman that will break the streak. Our skill players typically aren’t dynamic enough to be drafted high, and even when they are dynamic (Hakeem) they still aren’t good enough compared to the rest of the talent out there to get in the 1st round.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I can't figure out what you are saying. We aren't supposed to worry about the monkey? Or we are supposed to stop talking about the streak? Or we are supposed to stop talking about how we won't end the streak? Asking for a friend so he can do what you want...
It was directed at people claiming that it isn't a big deal if someone gets drafted in the first round. I for one don't enjoy having that longest draft drought distinction. I know there isn't anything I can personally do about it, or any fan for that matter, but for anyone to say it isn't a big deal is a major losers mentality thing to say.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I will be completely shocked if Purdy is anything close to a 1st round pick like many of you think. He’s not a prototypical NFL QB like Brady or Manning and he’s not athletic enough to be Kyler or Baker.

While I do not predict he will be a first rounder, I do not think it is an unrealistic possibility. The league is moving to more RPO and I think he is great at this. I would argue better than Haskins at RPO. While he may not have breakaway speed ala Kyler, he has more than enough athleticism to get 10-15 yards and get down or get out of bounds. Albeit late, he was recruited by A&M and Alabama. He would not have garnered interest from them if they didn't see something good. I think he has more of a shot than our RBs, not because of lack of talent at RBs but because QBs, and RPO QBs look to be in high demand for quite some time.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Who cares? It’s out of our control. There are like 50 things I’m more invested in that I want to see happen before getting a first round draft pick in the NFL.

You don’t think the fact that Iowa churns out first round TE and Line talent all the time and we’ve never had a first round pick is used in recruiting?

That’s hilarious

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
DM and Butler are still very raw in their talent so not totally surprised they didn't go first round.

QBs, DL and some other defensive positions seem to be the most sought after, so it will likely need to be that.

For ISU I'm gonna guess it happens in two seasons.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Our skill players typically aren’t dynamic enough to be drafted high, and even when they are dynamic (Hakeem) they still aren’t good enough compared to the rest of the talent out there to get in the 1st round.

If Hakeem or Montgomery had played @ the likes of Bama or Ohio State, they would have been drafted yesterday. Our lack of football success currently hurts our players' draft stock. Or in Troy Davis's case, Heisman potential. If Campbell can maintain success here that will change, however.