Verizon 5G Coming to Des Moines in 2019

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Who cares. What we have now is just fine. All its going to do is raise prices because more equipment is needed, etc. When is enough enough? 4g is super fast as is. Why change something that is not broken?

A lot of people care. 4G is not perfect. One of 4G limitations is the amount of data the system can handle. 5G won’t have the data restrictions. That is a big deal to a lot of people. Especially if rural Iowa can get home internet and not have to use satellite.

Now get off my lawn too.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
5g is as more about low latency and capacity than speeds.

Which kind of makes the fact that theyre charging extra per month for it seem absurd. Its technology that helps the company better handle its capacity, something that should just be 'part of the bill' for any cell service.

I just got an s10+ though, so i'm probably 2 years from having a 5g-loaded phone anyway

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Oh I know, more than most. Why do you think I didn't get a smart phone until like 4-5 years ago?

I know, I was just kidding. When we've reached a point where your devices are literally serving as bugs in your home that tech employees can listen in on at any time, there really isn't much more of the slippery slope upon which to slide down.

I was just going to crack a joke about how really the only thing we have left to do is allow them to install video cameras in our living rooms so they can watch any time at their convenience...but then I remembered the Facebook Portal is already here.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Who cares. What we have now is just fine. All its going to do is raise prices because more equipment is needed, etc. When is enough enough? 4g is super fast as is. Why change something that is not broken?
It's called "technological advancement". The rotary phone in your basement still works fine too, it's not broken -- why change it?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
A lot of people care. 4G is not perfect. One of 4G limitations is the amount of data the system can handle. 5G won’t have the data restrictions. That is a big deal to a lot of people. Especially if rural Iowa can get home internet and not have to use satellite.

Now get off my lawn too.

5G will increase capacity, but demand will also continue to grow too. You are going to eventually end up with data caps and throttling the same as 4G.

I'm skeptical about rural coverage for home internet as well. It costs a lot to build these networks and rural areas have the same lack of population density they always had. The economics are still a struggle. Also, while the cost per bit is lower on 5g than 4g, it is still higher than the cost per bit of the traditional wired solutions for home internet.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
When we've reached a point where your devices are literally serving as bugs in your home that tech employees can listen in on at any time,

I'm pretty sure that's not what's happening with the devices.

The phone or device listens for wake words. "alexa" "ok google" "Hey siri". It doesnt send anything to the servers until it hears those words. Sometimes it may *think* its wake word was triggered by a similar sound and you'd get some additional recordings.

But that's hardly "tech employees can listen in at any time"

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'm pretty sure that's not what's happening with the devices.

The phone or device listens for wake words. "alexa" "ok google" "Hey siri". It doesnt send anything to the servers until it hears those words. Sometimes it may *think* its wake word was triggered by a similar sound and you'd get some additional recordings.

But that's hardly "tech employees can listen in at any time"

I was exaggerating and probably shouldn't have said "literally," but there's very little distance between pulling up your past audio clips and listening in whenever they want.

I know that sounds a little tinfoil-hat-esque, but if the news broke tomorrow that Facebook was using these devices to record huge chunks of what happens in someone's home, whether they're "activated" or not, or even watching/listening in people's homes in real time, would anyone be surprised? Of course not. These companies have given no indication they have the ability to restrain themselves.