INSIDER: Grad transfers & a coaching nugget

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I think people forget just how good Nick was during parts of the 17-18 season. Before his injuries really took a toll, he had an absolutely fantastic stretch in non-conference where he was a triple-double threat every game. Over a 6 game stretch (Puerto Rico tournament through the Iowa game), he averaged 14.3 points, 9.5 assists, 7.7 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 1.8 turnovers, while shooting 51% from the field and 41% from three. Even at that point he certainly had some problems with his knees, but this was before those problems got really bad. I think you can certainly say that without injuries, he would have had NBA potential.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think people forget just how good Nick was during parts of the 17-18 season. Before his injuries really took a toll, he had an absolutely fantastic stretch in non-conference where he was a triple-double threat every game. Over a 6 game stretch (Puerto Rico tournament through the Iowa game), he averaged 14.3 points, 9.5 assists, 7.7 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 1.8 turnovers, while shooting 51% from the field and 41% from three. Even at that point he certainly had some problems with his knees, but this was before those problems got really bad. I think you can certainly say that without injuries, he would have had NBA potential.
People also remember how bad the very beginning and end of the 17-18 season was and forget that once Nick was moved to the PG and before he started to become limited and ultimately shut it down due to injury the team was playing pretty good basketball. Rolled the rest of the non-con (admittedly bad competition), won a couple games and lost some close ones against good conference competition. Then the wheels fell off the wagon with Nick's injuries, Young's injuries, and Jackson's absence.