Youth knee issue

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
So my 12 yo son injured his knee from someone falling on it while in wrestling practice a few months ago. This resulted in him not being able to extend the leg but it felt fine when he kept it bent. After a day or two it resolved on it's own but then it would happen again and again every few weeks, mostly from kneeling on the ground or the couch (wrestling practice has long since ended).

We've been to the Ortho doc and have had an MRI and there is no structural damage. The inability to extend is most likely due to fluid on the knee which is why it always resolves on it's own anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

This happened again a few days ago after no instances in several months. It seems odd that it keeps happening. The doc suggested that it may have something to due with him being in a growth spurt which can cause weird things in the joints. Has anyone experience this with their kids or themselves?

• Friendly
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
So my 12 yo son injured his knee from someone falling on it while in wrestling practice a few months ago. This resulted in him not being able to extend the leg but it felt fine when he kept it bent. After a day or two it resolved on it's own but then it would happen again and again every few weeks, mostly from kneeling on the ground or the couch (wrestling practice has long since ended).

We've been to the Ortho doc and have had an MRI and there is no structural damage. The inability to extend is most likely due to fluid on the knee which is why it always resolves on it's own anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

This happened again a few days ago after no instances in several months. It seems odd that it keeps happening. The doc suggested that it may have something to due with him being in a growth spurt which can cause weird things in the joints. Has anyone experience this with their kids or themselves?

I've not experienced this, but I've been told if an erection lasts more than 4 hours, see a Dr. immediately.

• Funny
Reactions: ruflosn

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I used to get brutal growing pains in my legs during my growth spurts, but never something that caused my knee to randomly lock up the way you're describing. Maybe take him to a sports injury clinic and get a second opinion if it's still bothering him months after the injury.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
My 12 year old son grew 6" over summer. Screaming at night his legs hurt so bad from knee to shins. We had him take advil and he had to ice it. It kept the pain and any swelling down but his knees he said "felt loose" so there is definitely something to that part of it. Glad there is no structural damage that is huge. Hope he grows out of it soon.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My 12 year old son grew 6" over summer. Screaming at night his legs hurt so bad from knee to shins. We had him take advil and he had to ice it. It kept the pain and any swelling down but his knees he said "felt loose" so there is definitely something to that part of it. Glad there is no structural damage that is huge. Hope he grows out of it soon.

Yeah, I went from 5'4" to 6'2" in a little over a year's time. That blew.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyfan1965

CyPhi

Nov 13, 2014
It may be worth considering have your child go see a physical therapist. Iowa is direct access so no doctor's referral is needed. With no radiographic evidence of an issue, it sounds biomechanical/musculoskeletal in nature which is where a PTs expertise area lies.

Without getting more history and details it sounds like it might be a patello-femoral issue rather than a meniscal. Could be a variety of underlying issues Osgood-Schlatter's, Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, or even Prepatellar bursitis. Consider hitting up your local PT. Rather than treating the pain, you may be able to fix the underlying musculoskeletal issue through exercise and manual therapy.

- Long time lurker and current physical therapy student :)

Jiffycy

Jul 27, 2014
Diet can often cause the body (joints) to retain fluids. You might try tracking what he ate the day or two before his next episode if they continue. FWIW

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Sounds like what I had when I was a freshman in HS. Very painful. Was told it was the Osgood-Schlatter thing. Had to quit track for three months do no running, riding of bikes, any and everything that might cause impact on my knee. Basically shut down from being a kid. It worked and have never had a problem with the knee again. Now, this was back right after dinosaur's ruled the world so I am sure they have different and better ways of getting him back in tip top condition.

• Funny
Reactions: CycloneCJ

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I used to get brutal growing pains in my legs during my growth spurts, but never something that caused my knee to randomly lock up the way you're describing. Maybe take him to a sports injury clinic and get a second opinion if it's still bothering him months after the injury.

This. I'd want more than one opinion on structural damage if it's still causing issues.