Testing a home for mildew/mold

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
My wife is annoyingly sensitive to sound and smells. And she is beside herself that there is a smell to our home. That is not noticeable to anybody but her for the most part.

There are a couple of factors I think. The air conditioning coil gives off an odor when the A/C turns on. But we can't find anybody willing to clean it. If I can't get to the bottom of this I will be forced to replace the unit. The house is only 10 years old.

We also took in a little bit of flood water in the biblical flood of June 30th. We replaced any carpet pad that was wet, had the carpet disinfected and cleaned. I drilled 1 inch holes behind the baseboard between each stud cavity. It had a fan on it for a week, also sprayed with disinfectant, then filled with spray-in foam insulation and sealed back up.

But if our home gets over 40% humidity it starts to smell.

Has anybody else have this issue and have you done something to remediate? Who did you use? Any other ideas?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
40% humidity is on the low side. I don't know if your AC coil will get the air that dry - typically they remove humidity down to around 50-53 degree mark.

I'm not sure why you can't find anybody to clean your coil - my twice-yearly HVAC tune up includes coil cleaning.

Concrete can soak up water, so maybe that's a bit of what's going on? New carpet/pad absorbing moisture from the slab?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I know the guy that owns Iowa Mold Removal really well. Good guy, will do a good job.
Do they have a test that they can run to identify if there truly is something somewhere in the home?

40% humidity is on the low side. I don't know if your AC coil will get the air that dry - typically they remove humidity down to around 50-53 degree mark.

I'm not sure why you can't find anybody to clean your coil - my twice-yearly HVAC tune up includes coil cleaning.

Concrete can soak up water, so maybe that's a bit of what's going on? New carpet/pad absorbing moisture from the slab?
Anything is possible. We had ServPro certify everything was dry before we reinstalled.

Honestly, I'd replace any carpet that has been flooded, as water can break down the bond to the backing.
The carpet barely got wet, it wasn't under water. My wife and I had two shop vacs sucking the water as it came in through seeping. Less than an hour.

Do you have a moisture barrier between the pad and concrete?
No.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Do they have a test that they can run to identify if there truly is something somewhere in the home?

Anything is possible. We had ServPro certify everything was dry before we reinstalled.

The carpet barely got wet, it wasn't under water. My wife and I had two shop vacs sucking the water as it came in through seeping. Less than an hour.

No.

Yes, I think they can fully test the air, surfaces, etc. Vince is a really good guy and knows his stuff.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Air samples can be taken to identify types and quantities of mold. See if you can find an independent company that is not selling the remediation services

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Air samples can be taken to identify types and quantities of mold. See if you can find an independent company that is not selling the remediation services
I've reached out to Weimann Home Inspection as they are friends of mine. They do testing, not remediation. I'm going to reach out to Iowa Mold Removal now.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Are you saying you had a flooded basement and didn't replace the carpet and drywall? Maybe I'm misreading what you meant by 1" holes behind baseboard?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Are you saying you had a flooded basement and didn't replace the carpet and drywall? Maybe I'm misreading what you meant by 1" holes behind baseboard?

Carpet was replaced, but not drywall is what I gathered. I had this happen last summer and had to cut the bottom four inches out and replace. If there is drywall that is the first thing I would look at.

Help Support Us

Become a patron