2018 Taxes

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
The reason taxes are complicated is because they have to be. We want to encourage people to do certain behaviors so we offer tax incentives. We want to discourage people from doing certain behaviors so we penalize via taxes.

Ironically, this is exactly the opposite of government spending which generally rewards bad behavior with money.

...and for the debate above, a potential lack of deductibility will have zero effect on my giving. I recently heard Bernie Sanders gave a whopping 2-3% of his income to charity according to his taxes. I would have figured he would give 20% or so. I guess he thinks that is generous.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Majority of people do not understand that SS and Medicare Tax are NOT Federal Income Tax.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The reason taxes are complicated is because they have to be. We want to encourage people to do certain behaviors so we offer tax incentives. We want to discourage people from doing certain behaviors so we penalize via taxes.

Ironically, this is exactly the opposite of government spending which generally rewards bad behavior with money.

...and for the debate above, a potential lack of deductibility will have zero effect on my giving. I recently heard Bernie Sanders gave a whopping 2-3% of his income to charity according to his taxes. I would have figured he would give 20% or so. I guess he thinks that is generous.

Seriously? Other than independently wealthy individuals with more money that they could ever use, very few people could financially handle giving a massive 20% of their income to charity. That is a ton.

What a ridiculous post. Typical partisan nonsense.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
********, taxes are set up the way they are so congress can help their friends. That is why we will never have a flat tax or a simplified tax code, that would stop congress from throwing a bone to groups they want to help, buried in the tax code. The groups they want to help, are those that continue to make large donations to the candidate. Both sides are in on it, they just get those contributions from different groups.

A flat income tax would result in a regressive taxation system on the whole. Terrible idea, both fiscally and morally.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
With the changes to the standard deductions in this last tax reform it really reduced the need to itemize and be able to claim things like Mortgage Interest, Charitable Donations, and a $10k cap on SALT. It will be interesting to see if there is any changes in behavior towards housing and charities going forward if people aren't seeing a direct reduction in their tax liability.

If my wife wasn't self-employed our taxes would have been a breeze and could have been done by myself by filling in a couple of lines, taking standard deduction and child credits to get our taxable income and finding a tax amount in a table and compare vs. what we had withheld / paid.

Yep me too. For once all my deductions didn’t matter and the standard was higher. Still had to do all the work because of my wife’s business if not I could have done them in 5 mins. Might next year because unless our situation changes we’ll be using the standard deduction again.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Seriously? Other than independently wealthy individuals with more money that they could ever use, very few people could financially handle giving a massive 20% of their income to charity. That is a ton.

Yeah except Bernie gave a 2.26% average over the last decade with the highest single year coming in at around 3%, not 20%. Try reading. Bernie's income also comes from being a politician (book deal). Typical politician hypocrisy. Simple numbers are not partisan. And you do not need to be anywhere near independently wealthy to give 20%, you just have to decide what your priorities are.

A million articles on this, but I linked just one.

https://theresurgent.com/2019/04/16/bernie-is-a-one-percenter-who-is-stingy-with-charitable-giving/

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Yep me too. For once all my deductions didn’t matter and the standard was higher. Still had to do all the work because of my wife’s business if not I could have done them in 5 mins. Might next year because unless our situation changes we’ll be using the standard deduction again.

I was forced to itemize. My state tax form forces me to use the state standard deduction if I use the federal standard deduction. My itemized deductions were about the same amount as my federal standard deduction, $25,800 I think. The Nebraska standard deduction is about half that amount. So I had to itemize on both State and Federal just to get my full deduction from the State. I wondered if other states create that same dilemma.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah except Bernie gave a 2.26% average over the last decade with the highest single year coming in at around 3%, not 20%. Try reading. Bernie's income also comes from being a politician (book deal). Typical politician hypocrisy. Simple numbers are not partisan. And you do not need to be anywhere near independently wealthy to give 20%, you just have to decide what your priorities are.

A million articles on this, but I linked just one.

https://theresurgent.com/2019/04/16/bernie-is-a-one-percenter-who-is-stingy-with-charitable-giving/

My reading comprehension was fine,but apparently yours sucks. I was making fun of your brain dead partisan argument about how someone should donate 20% of their income to charity. That is freaking ridiculous, very few can afford that.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
My reading comprehension was fine,but apparently yours sucks. I was making fun of your brain dead partisan argument about how someone should donate 20% of their income to charity. That is freaking ridiculous, very few can afford that.

Income isn't really important to someone who is really rich. The net worth can far outpace their income. They could easily give many times their income but not every year.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
A flat income tax would result in a regressive taxation system on the whole. Terrible idea, both fiscally and morally.

I agree, we should never go to a total flat tax system, I favor a progressive tax system with few to no deductions. You earn it, you are taxed on it. Simple for everyone, and every dollar earned is taxed at the same rate on progressive scale. . Get rid of investment income taxed at a lower rate.

Any deduction that is given should apply to everyone or no one, I use my vehicle for driving to work, but I cannot deduct mileage, even though I drive 42 miles each way. My brother bought a new pickup last year, and can deduct it off his business, even though he does not use the truck for his business. Its his go to town truck, just like farmers have. Total BS.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Majority of people do not understand that SS and Medicare Tax are NOT Federal Income Tax.

Just semantics, true not by definition a federal income tax but a tax that goes to the federal government based on your income.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Just semantics, true not by definition a federal income tax but a tax that goes to the federal government based on your income.

But people mistakenly think a federal “income tax “ cut will mean a reduction in SS and Medicare tax.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Are you saying Bernie (who the post you're replying to is referencing) isn't independently wealthy and couldn't afford to donate 20% of his income?? Keep in mind this is the same guy who thinks the 'rich' should pay more of a fair share than they are.

Do you honestly not see the hipocracy of someone with those views donating 3%?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We all own smart phones too, but we can't repair them. I'm not sure I get your point.

Don't you believe given how much of our lives are spent earning wages and how critical they are to our ability to successfully function in society, that ideally the amount we are forced to turn over to the gov't should be straightforward enough that the average American can understand?

Be design in order for them to function, cars (and phones) are complicated.

To make your "fairness point" work , please successfully make the link to why taxes by design must also complicated in order to work. That just doesn't make sense to me.

They have to be complicated for basically three circumstances...

(1.) You are trying to use the tax code to further some policy goal and disguising what should be its own program/expenditure as a tax expenditure. Having a program rebating you ~20% the cost of your health insurance when you fill out a form and send it in with a copy of your policy to HHS is the same thing as allowing you to deduct the cash-equivalent value of your health insurance through your employer from your income. We just treat tax expenditures and programs differently, even if they both end up doing the same things in reality.

It is functionally a way to make what should be government spending and subsidies look like a tax cut. It is a marvelous accounting trick when you think about it like that.

(2.) It is just good, old-fashioned regulatory capture from the barnacles making money off the complex system. DC is littered with a lot of smart people who spend their careers, either as attorneys, lobbyists, or working for accounting firms, basically trying to figure out what large corporations should pay in taxes and/or trying to make it so they pay less in taxes. The complex system is their livelihood yet a minor, seasonal annoyance to the rest of us. They have all the incentive in the world to fight tooth-and-nail to keep it complicated, while the rest of us just have to sigh over the annoyance of the byzantine system that we have.

(3.) As you said, it is hiding the true cost of government from people. People might feel differently if they got one fat bill that has everything on it -- payroll, income, property, sales, and all other taxes, including inflation -- altogether at once, instead of having to make a very concerted effort to really figure all of this out. Few people can. Fewer actually do.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Are you saying Bernie (who the post you're replying to is referencing) isn't independently wealthy and couldn't afford to donate 20% of his income?? Keep in mind this is the same guy who thinks the 'rich' should pay more of a fair share than they are.

Do you honestly not see the hipocracy of someone with those views donating 3%?

Sounds like rich people in general give less percentage to charity than the poor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/36561381

Income range (AGI)

Average charitable contributions deduction

Under $15,000

$1,471

$15,000-$29,999

$2,525

$30,000-$49,999

$2,871

$50,000-$99,999

$3,296

$100,000-$199,999

$4,245

$200,000-$249,999

$5,472

$250,000 or more

$21,364

Data source: IRS preliminary 2016 data. Figures are rounded to the nearest dollar.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron