OT - Cutting Cable

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I have been enjoying this thread (trying to become more informed), but cannot quite figure out why anybody would prefer to go through the aggravation of streaming instead of plug and play cable. It's generational, I know! Keep on Truckin'! . :)

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Just got my new TVs and made the switch. I started with PSVue, but switched to YTTV because you can’t DVR local channels with PSVue. The cloud dvr is MUCH better with YTTV.
Also, for those concerned with buffering, go with a hard, cat 6 Ethernet connection. I was able to do that and have not had a buffering incident yet.

Reactions: cyfanatic

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Just got my new TVs and made the switch. I started with PSVue, but switched to YTTV because you can’t DVR local channels with PSVue. The cloud dvr is MUCH better with YTTV.
Also, for those concerned with buffering, go with a hard, cat 6 Ethernet connection. I was able to do that and have not had a buffering incident yet.

I don't have any ethernet cables in my house, I never get any buffering after I moved to an enterprise quality access point.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I have been enjoying this thread (trying to become more informed), but cannot quite figure out why anybody would prefer to go through the aggravation of streaming instead of plug and play cable. It's generational, I know! Keep on Truckin'! . :)

Why? I’ll list out my reasons:
1. Streaming is just as plug and play as cable I’d argue.
2. I don’t have to work with awful cable customer service. Talk about aggravation here!
3. I don’t have to have a huge cable box and a bunch of cords everywhere.
4. I have 5x the option of providers as cable.
5. No contracts. I can start/stop any time.
6. I can “unplug” and take my streaming service/device with me.
7. Cheaper.
8. Watch on mobile devices.
9. I can share a subscription with family or friends.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016

Sorry, but this is not correct. You can dvr local channels in Des Moines area...or any area for that matter. You just have to click on “add to dvr”. The only thing in Des Moines with my parent’s PsVue is that it currently does not have channel 13, but should soon. You can always watch OTA local channels with an antenna. In Denver we get all local channels on PsVue. I think PsVue dvr is great, but what really sets it apart is the interface on amazon devices. What about yttv’s dvr is better to you?

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Sorry, but this is not correct. You can dvr local channels in Des Moines area...or any area for that matter. You just have to click on “add to dvr”. I have PsVue and think its dvr is great, but what really sets it apart is the interface on amazon devices. What about yttv’s dvr is better to you?

Isn't PS vue dvr only 30 days where YTTV is 9 months? Can you FF dvr on PSV?

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Isn't PS vue dvr only 30 days where YTTV is 9 months? Can you FF dvr on PSV?

It does keep content for just 30 days, but automatically re-records shows/movies when they re-air without having to add them again. We watch shows almost immediately so it is not issue for us and I have over 200 movies recorded at any given time, so there is always stuff to watch. Plus I do a lot of the add on channels. You can ff with dvr on PsVue, which is why I prefer dvr content to on-demand. I watch a lot of tv so content is more important than price to me, which makes PsVue a good option for me. If price is your main concern, because you don’t watch a lot of tv or whatever, other services may be a better option for you. That’s why I love streaming services, because they all have their little differences and one isn’t necessarily the best overall. It is more catered to each individual consumer than cable/satellite’s one size fits all approach.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Sorry, but this is not correct. You can dvr local channels in Des Moines area...or any area for that matter. You just have to click on “add to dvr”. The only thing in Des Moines with my parent’s PsVue is that it currently does not have channel 13, but should soon. You can always watch OTA local channels with an antenna. In Denver we get all local channels on PsVue. I think PsVue dvr is great, but what really sets it apart is the interface on amazon devices. What about yttv’s dvr is better to you?

Try to DVR KCCI local news in Des Moines with PSVue and let me know how that works for you.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I've looked at YTTV lately and just can't pull the trigger. We have Dish with the Top 200 and pay 80 bucks a month for 2 Tvs. We can use Dish anywhere and stream live tv or watch recorded shows and movies on the iPad. I've got 200+ movies on the DVR that I have had for years.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
It does keep content for just 30 days, but automatically re-records shows/movies when they re-air without having to add them again. We watch shows almost immediately so it is not issue for us and I have over 200 movies recorded at any given time, so there is always stuff to watch. Plus I do a lot of the add on channels. You can ff with dvr on PsVue, which is why I prefer dvr content to on-demand. I watch a lot of tv so content is more important than price to me, which makes PsVue a good option for me. If price is your main concern, because you don’t watch a lot of tv or whatever, other services may be a better option for you. That’s why I love streaming services, because they all have their little differences and one isn’t necessarily the best overall. It is more catered to each individual consumer than cable/satellite’s one size fits all approach.

Hulu live has a huge library of VOD, more so than anyone else iirc.

I mainly use Philo and supplement with YTTV, Hulu Live or PS Vue depending on who has the best package/price for FB season. The nice thing about some on demand is that there are commercials, depending on the company.That is a huge plus.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
YTTV and Verizon are expanding their partnership. Fios and Wireless customers will get a discount/package rate on Fios or wireless internet.
I hope this makes its way to mobile Verizon users, could be a way Verizon is pushing back on ATT and Tmobile since they're having their own wireless/streaming service combination.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Why? I’ll list out my reasons:
1. Streaming is just as plug and play as cable I’d argue.
2. I don’t have to work with awful cable customer service. Talk about aggravation here!
3. I don’t have to have a huge cable box and a bunch of cords everywhere.
4. I have 5x the option of providers as cable.
5. No contracts. I can start/stop any time.
6. I can “unplug” and take my streaming service/device with me.
7. Cheaper.
8. Watch on mobile devices.
9. I can share a subscription with family or friends.
I'd venture to say it's even more plug 'n play than cable. I can now put a TV anywhere in my house without needing a jack, even outside if I want.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
FYI: Starting on May 6th Philo is going to only be offering a single package for new subscribers at $20 with all of their channels. They will honor people that are on the $16 package prior to 5/6 for as long as you maintain an active subscription.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Looking at options. I do have a Roku2. Wondering if that will handle the task or if I need something better/newer?

That’s getting pretty dated and is slower than most. It’ll still work though. The Roku ultra or roku 4k stick are the most powerful Rokus right now. I have the 4k stick and it’s been solid.

Reactions: MeanDean

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
That’s getting pretty dated and is slower than most. It’ll still work though. The Roku ultra or roku 4k stick are the most powerful Rokus right now. I have the 4k stick and it’s been solid.

Thanks, I guess I will get a newer one and maybe use the Roku 2 on a secondary set. I assume any television that's not a smart TV would need it's own streaming device.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Thanks, I guess I will get a newer one and maybe use the Roku 2 on a secondary set. I assume any television that's not a smart TV would need it's own streaming device.

Correct.

The one thing I like about the roku 4K stick, is that it is the stick that can be hidden behind the TV but the remote works via wifi, so you don't have to point it directly at the device. The roku ultra is IR and has to have a clear line of sight to the device for the remote, iirc. Both are solid, the ultra is more powerful but is a bigger device.

The roku premiere has a 4k version but I've heard really mixed reviews on them as they are not as powerful.

• Informative
Reactions: MeanDean

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des

Smart TVs can be slow compared to standalone streaming devices. The processors in the TVs are usually much less powerful than a separate device.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron