Friday OT #2 - Give Us De-Funct

stinkbaitcatfish

Aug 13, 2018
Huntington Beach , CA
Granddaddy's for sure - it was the main meat market in Ames when I was in school. Also, Tork's Pub (at least I think it's gone, anyway)......we used to go get six-packs and peanuts when we had backgammon marathons.

The girls miss the old drive-in theatre out on the west end, we spent many evenings there with a big, greasy sack of popcorn and Kool-Aid. (Yeah, we were pretty poor.)
..... the perfect date for me was going to the drive-in movies and then back toTork's Pub........

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Dugan's Deli
Minsky's Pizza
Pizza House
Hardees on Welch
The Green Pepper
Mr Steak - my folks took me there most every time they came to visit me.
the bakery downtown was it Asvig's Bakery?

Michael's Cyclery

Reactions: stinkbaitcatfish

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The M-Shop on blood drive days what a cheap buzz!! The nurses upstairs would always tell you to hydrate after donating nooo problem ;). Things you do when your young.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Tazzle’s, Wed night 25 cent draws, Thursday drinkin’ with Lincoln, Friday $5 cover for free drinks 7 to 10 and Sat the same I think... NBA Jam was a short lived hit there. the Varsity Theatre on Lincoln and Welch...

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
The Pancheros on Welch had a two pound el gordo burrito that was the bomb.

On a side note, there’s a hole in the wall Mexican resteraunt/grocery store in downtown Davenport called La Finca that has a huge $6 burrito that’s delicious.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
What were the names of those four bars? One was That Place but what were the others?

Also, Underwhere, Little Taipei, and the bar thats name started with a B that was half a block west of Welch in Campustown. I think it was by a place called Foul Play?
I think one of the other 4 bars was Top of the Town. The other two are pretty tough to remember the names of.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
The Hallway (bar out at North Grand Mall), the Cave inn, GrandDaddy's, The BillBoard, That Place (bar downtown that had the airplane in it and free peanuts). Boyd's Ice Cream. Rumble's (?) the 50 style burger joint on Duff. Is Dugan's Deli still around north west of campus? Oh and when Cy's Roost was actually good.it was fairly nice and served really good burgers and deep fried mushrooms.
Boyd's had awesome malts. Dugan's is no longer -- used to stop for a couple 50 cent draws every day on my way home from campus. Cy's Roost's deep fried mushrooms were the bomb! My (ex)girlfriend claimed they were an aphrodisiac -- can't dispute it. And That Place was a regular hangout for my gang. Cheap pitchers of Michelob Dark and free peanuts. What could go wrong with that?

Reactions: NWICY

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
I miss the 'ol college town drink specials. As someone mentioned, I think Tuesday night was buck burgers at Cy's. Wednedays , I believe you could take a any cup to Deans List and they would fill it with the alcohol of your choice for $5 (I got my only public intox leaving that place one Wednesday). Thursday was "Drinkin' With Lincoln" at Tazzle's (now Sips, I guess): $5 all you can drink all night. Friday nights were penny pitchers at the Zone (used to be above the Corner Pocket downtown).
Those are all the places I remember fondly. You must be of the same "vintage" as me. lol.

Reactions: flynnhicks03

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Speaking of People's. For a short time, there was a small bar w/ a stage downstairs (with a separate entrance on Lincoln Way), what was that called?

Eventually, it became just a back-stage area for People's music acts.

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
That's probably it. I noticed several mentions of Lumpy's throughout the thread, but didn't ring a bell or I wasn't connecting it to anything (if location was mentioned at any point I wasn't paying attention :)).
I thought that was Underwhere? You’d go down the stairs and the place where the bands played was around to your right (there was no stage- the bands set up on the floor). The bar was straight ahead as you went down the stairs and located in the back of the room on the right.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Thanks so much to @cyclones500 for this great topic! I'm just stealing his description verbatim, as it is perfect!

Inspired by recent discussions of Taco Time closing and a reference in Campustown Question thread regarding Do-Biz. What are some defunct restaurants, nightclubs or retail stores you remember fondly from your days at Iowa State, but no longer exist? For those of us who aren’t able to trek back to ISU frequently, what are some establishments you connect most to your college days, whether they still exist or not?

Davinci's pizza hogies. So bad for you, but so good at midnight.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I thought that was Underwhere? You’d go down the stairs and the place where the bands played was around to your right (there was no stage- the bands set up on the floor). The bar was straight ahead as you went down the stairs and located in the back of the room on the right.

Your description fits my memory.

I thought "Under Where?" was earlier, lower level of the plaza where Co-Op Records used to be - then eventually was called Gilligan's. But maybe I'm confusing the two.

Help Support Us

Become a patron