Electric guitar suggestions for new student

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
My Son has been taking lessons for about a year using an old acoustic guitar I got as a gift when I was his age(and quit lessons after a month:)). He now wants an electric guitar. I want to get him one for his upcoming birthday but have no idea what to look for. Any suggestions?

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Les Paul Epiphone or Fender Squier.

I'd hit up a music shop for a used one if he's just starting. Good shops will let you trade up as they improve and want to take the next step.

Second the Les Paul Epiphone. Got one for our daughter a couple years ago when she was around 13. At that time we got it for about $130, it has worked out well. She also has a stand, nicer amp, and cords—just things to think about if you don’t have anything yet. We got her a Fender 20 Watt amp.

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I would also recommend the Epiphone Les Paul. Overall, it is a classic guitar that can play a range of styles. The pro version should run around $500. Other versions can be had for cheaper, but the quality and features will go down with price.
I have an Epiphone, and have been happy with the quality.
How much are you looking to spend?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I would also recommend the Epiphone Les Paul. Overall, it is a classic guitar that can play a range of styles. The pro version should run around $500. Other versions can be had for cheaper, but the quality and features will go down with price.
I have an Epiphone, and have been happy with the quality.
How much are you looking to spend?
We were thinking around $300. We're going to the studio where he takes lessons to look at some tonight. I'll keep these suggestion in mind. Thanks everyone.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I'd grab something at a local music shop. There are some fantastic value used instruments out there. Plus, they will get it all set up and ready to rock for you when you're there. Don't forget a case, strap, cable, amp and a stand (if you don't have one already). With the money you save on a used instrument you could potentially get an extra set of strings, tuner, etc.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
1) Don’t buy new. Always go used. Always
2) Ask him? An Epi Les Paul or Mexican Tele or Strat are all great guitars that he can play for years, but it has to be one he wants to play.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I bought an Epiohone Les Paul on sale at guitar center for under 100 dollars. My friend, who was a music major and guitar player, was really impressed with the quality for the price. I bought it because I was looking for a cheap guitar to play a video game called Rocksmith. Also, Rocksmith is really fun and might be something to look into for a young kid playing the guitar.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Ditto on Rockstar. I’d have him pick which one he likes between the squire and the Les Paul.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
For $300 I would definitely recommend a Mexican Strat. I almost like mine more than my American Strat that I payed three times as much for.

It also depends on the type of music she likes, a Les Paul with humbuckers will give you a heavier rock oriented sound, while Strats I think play better clean.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
For $300 I would definitely recommend a Mexican Strat. I almost like mine more than my American Strat that I payed three times as much for.

It also depends on the type of music she likes, a Les Paul with humbuckers will give you a heavier rock oriented sound, while Strats I think play better clean.

We ended up getting a Mexican Strat and Kirk Hammett (I insisted on this:)) edition Randall practice amp. The studio where he takes lessons had this guitar marked way down because it has a little chip in the paint on the bottom. I knew my son wouldn't care about that. We got the Strat for a little less than the Squires they had. He loves it. Thanks for all of the advice.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We ended up getting a Mexican Strat and Kirk Hammett (I insisted on this:)) edition Randall practice amp. The studio where he takes lessons had this guitar marked way down because it has a little chip in the paint on the bottom. I knew my son wouldn't care about that. We got the Strat for a little less than the Squires they had. He loves it. Thanks for all of the advice.

Excellent choice, the Mexican Strats are so much better quality than the Squires, I dont think you can wrong with them for that price.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron