Josh Johnson Enters Transfer Portal

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Along with the guys we have returning, Scates and Sean Shaw will be our guys going forward.

The coaching staff is extremely high on Sean Shaw. Look for him to get a ton of snaps. He’s been a beast this spring.

Shaw looked good, but I thought Martin looked like the best of the bigger WR's (not including TE's) recently

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe and ATCy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Glass is a running back. The “change of pace” guy with Hall and Brock.

I suspect we’ll be okay outside this season with Milton, Martin, Akers, Scates and Shaw—and I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Porter plays. And there’s still James and Anderson if needed.

If anything, this just opens up a we spot in the 2020 class. Assuming Josh does indeed transfer. Hardly a bad thing.

Good luck to him.

He's an athlete and you'll see him all over.

Campbell called him a scat back said he'd run jet sweeps and be a asset in the passing game from the slot as well as the backfield. Said he'd line up all over the field including the return game. He'll probably back Jones up if they choose to pull the shirt.

He's solid as a DB TOO.

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
No matter how we want to try to spin this, it isn't good news for the WR group IMO. Josh was definitely in the mix for quite a bit of playing time this year. Maybe not a starter yet, but this will hurt depth for sure.

People have forgotten about Jalen Martin too. Didn't see his name mentioned in posts above.

I think it’s a sign that there was heavy competition for PT, which is a good sign (though it would be better if he was going to be part of it).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yes considering most on that depth chart are gone now....

Yikes. Indeed. Maybe C-Dubs can outsource it to one of you guys to keep it up-to-date.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Scates and Shaw are probably above him already, unfortunately.

I thought last year he could have broken out, but just wasn't on the field a whole lot.

I am excited for Scates.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Oh crap, after just listening to the CMC interview I was just thinking how excited I was to see this kid ready on the field finally getting his shot. I'm guessing this means that spring ball has shown there are other guys emerging ahead of him. Good luck to you Josh

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
It's no secret that CMC likes his outside receivers tall. Johnson is battling for slot reps with the two best guys in that position group (Milton, Jones). I assume this means that Carson Schleker was also getting more reps too.

Best of luck to him in the future

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Link? You have concrete info he was getting passed up on the depth chart?

Maybe he just wasn't happy here any longer? Maybe he was homesick? It could be any number of things..... that is...... unless you have direct knowledge he was being passed up on the depth chart.

You can also look at it like.... it's never good losing a 4* WR off your roster too.... OR... if he was being passed up..... wouldn't it sure be nice to have a 4* WR in your 2 deeps?

He was passed up last year by a 2 star recruit named Hakeem Butler. That is the way I like to look at it. Maybe some of our 2 and 3 star recruits are the next Hakeem butler and Josh was the Sedrick Johnson of the group.

Now that I said that I will say this. Kind of sucks losing a 4 star receiver who seemed to be on his way to great things at Iowa State.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Why create drama? Transfers happen every season. It's not like he was Larry Fitzgerald

We'll be fine. Campbell and staff and done a great job of retaining recruits and guys on our roster. good lord

8d69d59c27525166a394198eaf3ee981f188fb80ce4ef7a129a3f704bc3f0536.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone