Friday OT #2 - Give Us De-Funct

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't make it to Ames often but these are the places I miss most.

Peoples
Cy's Roost
Those 4 connected bars in downtown Ames
The Fox Lounge

Hmmm. Those are all primarily drinking establishments.

For good measure, I'll add Great Plains Sauce and Dough so it looks like I occasionally did something besides drink.

Also, I haven't been to a basketball game in about 25 years. I miss Hilton.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Do-Biz, the DQ on Welch (wasn't open year round), Peoples, the Burger King around the corner from Peoples (bottomless pop made for a great study location), Ruttles (loved their shakes)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Rocky Rococo's and their upstairs bar when you got $2.50 pitchers and they gave you 50 cents back to play pool or darts.....or as we did, figured after 4, we got a free pitcher if we didn't play any games.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So I checked, and Tork's is gone (long gone, I'm sure!) and in it's place is a joint called Thumbs. Also Dugan's Deli was half a block west of there, now called Mother's.

@jcyclonee, you and I seem to list the drinking establishments.....do you suppose we have a problem?

Reactions: Angie

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Buck burgers on Wednesday. Add a pitcher of beer and a couple of games of pool for good measure.
I played plenty of bad pool and foosball. I just don't remember there being food. I suppose there probably was food. I just don't remember eating there.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
So I checked, and Tork's is gone (long gone, I'm sure!) and in it's place is a joint called Thumbs. Also Dugan's Deli was half a block west of there, now called Mother's.

@jcyclonee, you and I seem to list the drinking establishments.....do you suppose we have a problem?
tenor.gif

No problem. We did college right.

P.S. Don't tell my daughter that I said that.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Dugan's Deli, the only place to have real, brewed in Dublin, Guinness Extra Stout.

One pitcher would percolate well over an hour after being poured. Mother's milk.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
(Edit: How could I forget Co-op Records and Tapes in Campustown!?!)

What was the name of Co-op Records after it was Co-op? It was at the same location, but had different ownership, Drawing a blank on the name (sad, since I went there a lot). Eventually it moved to Welch Ave. I can name at at least a dozen albums I bought there, but don't remember the name of the store.

Reactions: Angie

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

It's been Thumbs since I was going to school there, and I started in 2001.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
What was the name of Co-op Records after it was Co-op? It was at the same location, but had different ownership, Drawing a blank on the name (sad, since I went there a lot). Eventually it moved to Welch Ave. I can name at at least a dozen albums I bought there, but don't remember the name of the store.

Must have been after my time. I don't remember them moving or changing names. I remember it being in that sort of run down building with several other businesses on the alley 1/2 block W of Welch Ave. It was one of my rewards of making it through another week of classes - I'd pop in there on a Friday afternoon and treat myself to something. Usually a $2.99 cut-out as that was a budget I could live with. Picked up Allman Brothers Eat A Peach(double LP) and the first 4 or 5 Byrds Albums in those bins.