T-Mobile in Iowa/Central Iowa

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It seems as though there's been quite a bit of movement recently with T-Mobile in Iowa that should have increased signal strength/coverage. Late last year, iWireless was shutdown and everything was supposed to have been moved exclusively to T-Mobile. Anyway, it's seemingly impossible to get current information, reviews, etc. from people in the state that use T-Mobile and I'm hoping that some CF's can chime in with their experiences. TIA.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
We have T-Mobile and have for quite some time. We are pleased with the service and price, we pay a total of around $123/month for 4 lines. We have a plan where we buy our own phone, we don't finance any of that stuff.

We were notified the other day we are getting a free upgrade to get unlimited data on all of our lines instead of what used to be data stash. We've not had an issue with data before as iHeart radio and a few other apps did not count against your data anyway.

As far as service, in previous years we just knew going to my family (smaller town in Western Iowa) or my wife's family (small town in Eastern Iowa) there would be service issues. Going to Western Iowa we still have a few dead spots between Des Moines and Denison but we have service now in both of the actual towns we go to. Eastern Iowa we have no dead spots on the way now.

Overall I am happy with the price and service, can't ask for much else IMO.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
We have T-Mobile and have for quite some time. We are pleased with the service and price, we pay a total of around $123/month for 4 lines. We have a plan where we buy our own phone, we don't finance any of that stuff.

We were notified the other day we are getting a free upgrade to get unlimited data on all of our lines instead of what used to be data stash. We've not had an issue with data before as iHeart radio and a few other apps did not count against your data anyway.

As far as service, in previous years we just knew going to my family (smaller town in Western Iowa) or my wife's family (small town in Eastern Iowa) there would be service issues. Going to Western Iowa we still have a few dead spots between Des Moines and Denison but we have service now in both of the actual towns we go to. Eastern Iowa we have no dead spots on the way now.

Overall I am happy with the price and service, can't ask for much else IMO.

That's good to hear. They have a sweet military deal that provides the unlimited plan for $80 for two lines and that includes Netflix. I pay $70/month for Cricket and it's not unlimited, so I'd actually be saving a few bucks a month.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
The people I've known that had T-Mobile were happy to get away from it.
I don't know if it's changed, but they were uniformly unhappy with the coverage and service.

See, that's what I've heard previously. Apparently, over the last year or so, they've been pretty aggressive with getting up to speed (pun intended) in the state of Iowa, hence my thread.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
See, that's what I've heard previously. Apparently, over the last year or so, they've been pretty aggressive with getting up to speed (pun intended) in the state of Iowa, hence my thread.

And they might have. I just have trouble trusting companies that have been so terrible.
But now it's time to check again on this week's bank error, so what do I know?

DowntownCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Ankeny
I’ve had T-Mobile for the past 3 years. I absolutely love them. It has gotten better over the last year, but was fine before that. Much better than ATT or Sprint were, and I’ve never been able to afford Verizon. 3 unlimited lines for $90.00 a month.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Have been a customer for 12 years. No complaints here. Coverage and service meet my needs just fine.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I switched to them from Sprint a few months ago, the military pricing was too good to pass up. I travel all over the state regularly for work—biggest problem areas for me are between Council Bluffs and Sioux City, up by Dubuque, and I get nothing down in Chariton or south of there. But I wouldn’t go back. Sprint had bad spots too.

Reactions: Stewo

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
My work phone is through t mobile. I think what people need to do when they say they love or hate it is say where they live. Coverage in DesMoines is great. But I live in Ames, very hit or miss. I have not had good luck in rural Iowa. I'm sure it's a great deal and that's probably why my work switched. But my personal phone is through Verizon and the coverage is night and day.
If rural coverage is important to you I would look elsewhere

• Agree
Reactions: dmclone