huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Why would one pay for Cyclones.tv if they can get the same product on espn+?

Starting in 2020, Cyclones.TV will just be a channel for watching the press conferences live, archived video of game replays, features, etc. No live sports. I'm anticipating Cyclones.TV will need to lower their cost when they lose the live games as it essentially becomes a historical archive of videos and a way for hardcore fans to watch press conferences or other events.

As for answering your question - one would pay for both if they want both live cyclone games on ESPN+ (the stuff that is currently on cyclones.tv *but won't be in 2020* like ISU vs. UNI football and a lot of the MBB non-con) AND they want the game replays, coaches shows, press conferences.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I guess I don't understand expanding activities with the network where the Big 12 plays 4th fiddle to the ESPN darling conferences. I guess it will be more of "take your money and be happy while we pump up the ACC/Big Ten/SEC"...

I know FOX wanted out of the FB championship game, but at least the Klatt would present the Big 12 in a positive light. You rarely see any positive Big 12 FB promotion on ESPN.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I guess I don't understand expanding activities with the network where the Big 12 plays 4th fiddle to the ESPN darling conferences. I guess it will be more of "take you money and be happy while we pump up the ACC/Big Ten/SEC"...
I suspect the Fox alliance was failing as they no longer wanted the football championship game. So, in steps ESPN with a solution that includes picking up the championship and local market games.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/fox-big-12-championship-game-rights-espn.html

Has anyone seen the contract value?

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Will ESPN+ house the replays as well like they do for their broadcasted/streaming content? If so then I don't see any reason to have Cy TV. That's one of main the reasons we subscribe.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I guess I don't understand expanding activities with the network where the Big 12 plays 4th fiddle to the ESPN darling conferences. I guess it will be more of "take your money and be happy while we pump up the ACC/Big Ten/SEC"...

I've always kind of wondered if the Big 12 was downplayed on ESPN due to also having such a large relationship with Fox. Perhaps now that ESPN is getting the bulk of the business, and with the Big 12 clearly picking ESPN as its preferred partner going forward, the Big 12 will get more publicity and positive press at ESPN.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Will ESPN+ house the replays as well like they do for their broadcasted/streaming content? If so then I don't see any reason to have Cy TV. That's one of main the reasons we subscribe.
Anything broadcast on ESPN platforms is achieved presently, so one would have to believe that continues. This seems like a good method to cut out the middle man, cable tv and direct tv platforms, and go direct to the consumer. If the streaming improves, it should be fine.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I suspect the Fox alliance was failing as they no longer wanted the football championship game. So, in steps ESPN with a solution that includes picking up the championship and local market games.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/fox-big-12-championship-game-rights-espn.html

Has anyone seen the contract value?

The fact that the financial breakdown is not front and center makes me think that it isn't really a big number. And the less I see about distribution splits makes me concerned that the money from the ESPN+ content isn't going to be allocated only to the 8 participating schools.

This will need to be something that'll need details from Jamie to really decide if this is a good thing or a concession to help the conference.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk

I'm anticipating ESPN+ would have the archive of anything streamed on ESPN+ and Cy.TV would have the replays of things on FOX family of networks and ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU. Essentially ESPN+ is the home for live non-conference basketball games and 1-2 football games.

Reactions: bosco

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The fact that the financial breakdown is not front and center makes me think that it isn't really a big number. And the less I see about distribution splits makes me concerned that the money from the ESPN+ content isn't going to be allocated only to the 8 participating schools.

This will need to be something that'll need details from Jamie to really decide if this is a good thing or a concession to help the conference.

It’s probably going to be a couple million bucks for doing nothing. So a pretty good deal. Take a happy pill. This isn’t a “nut cup” thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The fact that the financial breakdown is not front and center makes me think that it isn't really a big number.

I was wondering about this myself...usually if the numbers are really something to brag about they are out front. I'm also wondering if ESPN is paying less for the championship game than FOX did. That would not be a great look...

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
From ISU release:

"Mediacom has been a tremendous partner for our institution and they have been instrumental in helping Iowa State Athletics grow its brand," Pollard said. "We do recognize that live game telecasts for all sports, previously aired on Cyclones.tv and Mediacom, will move to the ESPN+ platform. However, we'll continue to show other programming including media conferences, coaches' shows, special features and replays of all live home game content."

Pollard added that this rights deal is great for the conference and its member institutions. It will launch at Iowa State on July 1, 2020.

Here is a full article with JP.

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/201...n-future-of-cyclonestv-big-12espn-partnership

Reactions: SC Cy

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I've been talked off the ledge with this. I see this is a big win for ISU and the conference (if it doesn't start stealing Tier 2 games).