• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
Have you guys seen this?

I'm a little confused about what this means. I hope that no conference games or big non conference games will be on ESPN+. I don't want to pay for another service.

Also, not to be that guy, but what does this say about the state of the conference?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
"Starting in '19, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State will provide games for ESPN+. The following year, Iowa State, TCU, West Virginia and Texas Tech will participate." So OU and UT aren't providing games to this. Interesting.

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
"Starting in '19, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State will provide games for ESPN+. The following year, Iowa State, TCU, West Virginia and Texas Tech will participate." So OU and UT aren't providing games to this. Interesting.

LHN strikes again... I'm wondering if this could include other sports like wrestling or softball.

• Winner
Reactions: CycoCyclone

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I read this as UT and OU cannot provide for this since they have preceding agreements in place that won't/can't allow it. Further, I read it as ISU (and presumably the other 7) providing the content currently on Cyclones.tv to ESPN+ for further distribution. Seems to be a positive development. It also seems that the Big 12 is getting cozier to ESPN and moving away from Fox.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Not necessarily. Perhaps those games will stream on both - gives additional distribution for those games.

Correct. That's what I would assume.

Lots of leagues have that arrangement where home telecasts (usually through Learfield) are also transmitted through ESPN3/+

• Agree
Reactions: FerShizzle

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Not necessarily. Perhaps those games will stream on both - gives additional distribution for those games.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Can't believe ESPN would pay that type of money if individual school's fans could just bypass an ESPN+ subscription to watch their teams' games.

Plus the fact some schools don't start until 2020 suggests they had to wait for their digital contract to end.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Have
Correct. That's what I would assume.

Lots of leagues have that arrangement where home telecasts (usually through Learfield) are also transmitted through ESPN3/+

Have you seen any of that with ESPN+? It seems they've been pretty consistent anything that is there rather than ESPN3 is exclusive.

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Maybe, but I doubt it. Can't believe ESPN would pay that type of money if individual school's fans could just bypass an ESPN+ subscription to watch their teams' games.

Plus the fact some schools don't start until 2020 suggests they had to wait for their digital contract to end.

Do you think that this could include things that aren't normally broadcast on cyclones.tv? I wouldn't mind seeing wrestling being streamed.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
The slow build of the Big 12 Network beings?

I also think Cyclones.tv will stick around and they are just selling content to ESPN+. Doesn't Cyclones.tv sell to Mediacom for that cable channel? I would imagine it would be a similar deal like that.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Have

Have you seen any of that with ESPN+? It seems they've been pretty consistent anything that is there rather than ESPN3 is exclusive.

Yep. Pretty much all of the Valley and Mountain West coverage (league and member school produced) that used to be ESPN3 has moved to ESPN+.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I don't think this really effects CTV much because its purpose was to broadcast T3 games. The same rule would likely be in effect. If ESPN doesn't broadcast, on TV or over Plus, then CTV picks it up.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
From the article:

ESPN signed a sweeping media-rights deal with the Big 12 that will see ABC or ESPN carry every football championship game through ’24 and will launch a Big 12-branded area on ESPN+. In the new deal, which includes three championship games and ESPN+ rights, ESPN will pay a total of around $40M. When this agreement is added to the current media-rights deal that still has six years to run, the conference will average $22M per year, sources said. A formal announcement is expected later today.

Hundreds of events from all sports will be offered on ESPN+ under a Big 12 brand. Eight of the 10 schools will provide more than 50 exclusive events per year, including at least one football game, any spring football game and any basketball game that is not on an ESPN linear network. Texas, which has Longhorn Network, and Oklahoma, which has its own local rights deal, will not provide content to ESPN+. However, both schools will be featured on the streaming service when they are an away team and during conference championships outside of football and basketball.