Things we need

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Conditt seems to be more of a possession type shot blocker if that makes sense, as in he may block shots but in a way where the ball is still in play and there's a chance for ISU to gain possession. As opposed to the Kevin Garnett 3rd row swat that looks great but basically just lets the opponent pause and set something up.

Or at least make a close shooter uncomfortable which is also effective. This type of playing would have benefited in situations like KSU's Brown's winner in Hilton.

I agree but that also might be do to him being a freshman and learning. He has natural ability to block shots. I think he eventually will be more of the Garnett type blocker also. It's a progression type thing.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclad

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
While the original poster brings up good points, one could say that about most teams in the country.

• Winner
Reactions: jsb

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Dad thinks that the team will have a better record next year, because he foresees a more cohesive unit with the individuals we're losing.

Told him he's crazy and took that bet. Loser buys the others 2020 bowl ticket.

I can see a more cohesive unit next year, but I think the talent drop off is just too much to ask these guys to do the same things they did this year.

Thanks for jinxing us out of a bowl game. So either January of next season or December two seasons from now?

We need to at least try playing Conditt & Jacobson on the floor at the same time. Let's go big for a change.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Thanks for jinxing us out of a bowl game. So either January of next season or December two seasons from now?

We need to at least try playing Conditt & Jacobson on the floor at the same time. Let's go big for a change.

I agree and not only that. I have heard George can step up and hit the three also. So he is more of a stretch 4 on offense and a 5 on defense. Especially if the kid hits the weight room this summer. I expect Jacobson and Haliburton to step up and be leaders this off season and next year.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
PG who can get into the middle of the defense. Jerome and Mooney were both strong guards that used change of pace to get into the teeth of the defense. Mooney was especially effective handling the ball in traffic without turning it over. We've been missing a guy that can collapse a defense with the intent to kick it out to open shooters. Haliburton has shown some promise there. Most of Nixon's highlights were him chucking contested threes, so not sure what to expect from him.

But as someone else mentioned, I'd say we mostly need a group with team defense instincts. Hasn't been much discipline on that end although we saw flashes in nonconference this past season. I'm looking forward to Conditt's development. I think he could help our perimeter guys who prefer to freelance (Haliburton) or lack awareness (Lewis).

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
PG who can get into the middle of the defense. Jerome and Mooney were both strong guards that used change of pace to get into the teeth of the defense. Mooney was especially effective handling the ball in traffic without turning it over. We've been missing a guy that can collapse a defense with the intent to kick it out to open shooters. Haliburton has shown some promise there. Most of Nixon's highlights were him chucking contested threes, so not sure what to expect from him.

But as someone else mentioned, I'd say we mostly need a group with team defense instincts. Hasn't been much discipline on that end although we saw flashes in nonconference this past season. I'm looking forward to Conditt's development. I think he could help our perimeter guys who prefer to freelance (Haliburton) or lack awareness (Lewis).

Nixon is going to be one of those guys I absolutely love and the a game later I hate, then love again, then hate. Kind of like THT. Some games he was on fire and would kill it (Illinois game), Some games he would just keep chucking.

TyrusMcThree

Apr 1, 2019
I'm most worried about 3 pt shooting next year. We were streaky this year but we had Shayok, Wigginton, THT (sometimes) and Babb who could all hit threes and all of those points need to be replaced. Hopefully Nixon can hit them at a decent rate and Tyrese can improve his shot-making ability off the dribble. Gonna need bench guys to knock down shots

StevieISU23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
We need a guy will go put his DAMN foot in the paint and open up BIG. Demand the damn Ball. Then Go up Strong.
None of this "big guy with a nice jumper crap", nor little fade-ways.
Channel their inner Fizer/Homan/Victor Alexander (Pasta).

Nothing make me crazier, than when a Big has position underneath; but comes out to meet a pass, then takes a big step backwards as he squares up to the hoop......now we have a Big that is about 2 feet inside the 3pt line......augh!!!!!

Reactions: Bubba Hubba

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's not the scheme. It's the willingness for 5 players out of 5 to perform their assignments. When that was happening, our defense was very, very good.
I know ISUs defensive efficiency wasn't too bad this year, and the defensive effort argument is an oversimplification. However watching guys like Mooney, Francis and Moretti play huge minutes, guard like they do on and off the ball it is frustrating. ISU probably had better athletes on the perimeter and had plenty of traffic cone defense. I'm not expecting ISU to become TTU, but it seems like there is plenty of improvement to be had with some consistency and buy in on the defensive end.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
We need a guy will go put his DAMN foot in the paint and open up BIG. Demand the damn Ball. Then Go up Strong.
None of this "big guy with a nice jumper crap", nor little fade-ways.
Channel their inner Fizer/Homan/Victor Alexander (Pasta).

Nothing make me crazier, than when a Big has position underneath; but comes out to meet a pass, then takes a big step backwards as he squares up to the hoop......now we have a Big that is about 2 feet inside the 3pt line......augh!!!!!

I miss watching Big Vic. He had the softest hands catching anything in the post and the corner of the free throw lane jumper. His little hook move with his elbow in the post would likely get called more today. To bad that team didn't have much depth as the starting five were better than their record.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I know ISUs defensive efficiency wasn't too bad this year, and the defensive effort argument is an oversimplification. However watching guys like Mooney, Francis and Moretti play huge minutes, guard like they do on and off the ball it is frustrating. ISU probably had better athletes on the perimeter and had plenty of traffic cone defense. I'm not expecting ISU to become TTU, but it seems like there is plenty of improvement to be had with some consistency and buy in on the defensive end.

They didn't get burned as often on dribble penetration, but when they did their defensive rotations were good and Owens was a major rim protector, and Odiase (sp?) wasn't bad either.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Young has "all the talent in the world", but can't catch and finish?

My unpopular opinion: Solomon Young's value is largely overstated on this board.
See Melvin Ejim as a Fr/So. I can't count the times he stone-handed a pass and/or botched a layup. Still had talent and it certainly shinned as a Jr/Sr.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
This TTech love fest needs to stop. We beat them at their place and damn near beat them in Ames. They are a very good team but people need to quit acting like they kicked the **** out of us twice this year.
They got hot in the tourney and turned it up on defense. The biggest thing is they played together as a team which when we did that we could beat anyone. We had some guys who didn’t always buy into things and became very reliant on the 3 and ole defense.
I for one am not writing off next year. The guys we have seem to be team guys and defensive guys. They also seemingly play hard. It would be nice to land a grad transfer wing that is built like Culver and can potentially guard 4 positions.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We need Nixon to come in and be the next great transfer. We need Leech to regain his 5 Star form and be starting caliber day 1. We need Lewis to become the sniper off the bench he was supposed to be. We need Halliburton to be our next great PG. We need a combination of SoYo, Jacobson, and Conditt to be a good front court. We need to fill three scholarships, unless Lindell decides to return... then only two.

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Let's hope grill is a cyclone he reminds me of Jc Holloway another product from the state of Kansas

Help Support Us

Become a patron