Principal Financial Group to acquire large chunk of Wells Fargo business

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
That seems pretty aggressive for Principal. Must be a pretty good deal.

Agreed. PFG probably getting some benefit off of WF currently tarnished name but yes this is large transaction. The financial news industry got wind of this earlier and described it like this:

There would be a new behemoth among record keepers of defined-contribution plans if Principal Financial Group were to follow through on a reported deal to acquire Wells Fargo & Co.'s retirement-plan unit.

The deal — which could fetch more than $1 billion, according to Reuters — would be among the industry's largest ever, and more than double Principal's retirement plan assets under administration.

link to earlier "leaked" source: https://www.investmentnews.com/article/ ... y-20190318

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
As a Des Moines homer, i find this really interesting in the fact that while Wells has a large presence in the metro already, I believe it is mostly banking and mortgage divisions so this doesn't appear to be a case where an already existing DSM based business is acquiring a business and employees that are already here .

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Wonder if WF is finding cash to meet the increasing requirements for capital? IDK if that is a concern or not, just came to mind.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
As a Des Moines homer, i find this really interesting in the fact that while Wells has a large presence in the metro already, I believe it is mostly banking and mortgage divisions so this doesn't appear to be a case where an already existing DSM based business is acquiring a business and employees that are already here .

WF Institutional Retirement and Trust HQ is currently based in Charlotte, NC.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=213553567

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
So this is a good opportunity for Principal to consolidate operations in Charlotte then, right?

good one.

Not likely IMO if you look at nothing else more than simply the real estate Principal owns in downtown Des Moines and the fact that the retirement space is already their core business (even prior to this purchase). In talking to some folks this morning, it also sounds like that in addition to Charlette, they have just as many employees in Minneapolis that are affected (and then smaller #’s in 2 or 3 other cities as well).

Reactions: 3GenClone

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
PFG already runs their non-qualified retirement plan business out of North Carolina.

It appears that WF employees who work in this area will eventually become PFG employees. Wonder how that will all work out.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I believe this could be because Wells Fargo is still in trouble for their fake account scam. The gov told them they weren’t allowed to grow until they deemed they had fixed their problems. Could be wrong.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I believe this could be because Wells Fargo is still in trouble for their fake account scam. The gov told them they weren’t allowed to grow until they deemed they had fixed their problems. Could be wrong.

I think there might be some truth to that. This article on WHOTV touches more on the deal from WF's situation:

The decision to exit the retirement-plan business also comes as Wells Fargo deals with reputational problems, legal costs and unprecedented sanctions.

The Federal Reserve, citing “widespread consumer abuses,” imposed an asset cap on Wells Fargo in early 2018 that prevents the bank from growing its business.

Principal Financial expressed confidence that the retirement-plan business it’s acquiring isn’t stained by the deep cultural troubles uncovered at Wells Fargo.

Link: https://whotv.com/2019/04/09/princi...irement-plan-business-in-billion-dollar-deal/