UCLA /new rumors (+ back story on strange search for coach)

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I'm not familiar with the immediate UCLA area, but UCLA hiring a coach for $5 million per year isn't exactly a slam dunk when lots of guys are making in the $4 million ballpark in dirt cheap flyover country. Obviously there are some great aspects to the job and area, but you've also got what are probably unrealistic expectations, an absolutely tanking conference bleeding money, and the west coast TV problem.

According to USA Today, that would make him #3 in school pay, behind Coach Cal & Coach K and only two coaches (Tony Bennet & Chris Mack) make $4 mil or more per season.

Bill Self, Jay Wright, Bob Huggins & John Beilein make $3.8 mil

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Serious question. The St Mary's coach Randy Bennett, a Tim Floyd and Lorenzo Romar disciple, has been their HC for almost 2 decades and they win quite a bit. Even battle Gonzaga pretty damn hard. He's completely made that program into a quality one.
In the last 12 years he hasn't missed an NIT/NCAA post season.
Why not take a hard look at him?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Wow. $5 million for Barnes, they like. $8 million to get younger Dixon, they no like. Weird.
Ding...Ding...Ding...we have a winner. Lose a younger coach for $3M...man, money must really be tight in the vaunted Conference of Champions to lose a coach over $3M. They (UCLA) are screwed...and Dixon is screwed. Good job guys...only Iowa could do it better.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm not familiar with the immediate UCLA area, but UCLA hiring a coach for $5 million per year isn't exactly a slam dunk when lots of guys are making in the $4 million ballpark in dirt cheap flyover country. Obviously there are some great aspects to the job and area, but you've also got what are probably unrealistic expectations, an absolutely tanking conference bleeding money, and the west coast TV problem.

UCLA is in Brentwood, one of the wealthiest places in the country.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Ding...Ding...Ding...we have a winner. Lose a younger coach for $3M...man, money must really be tight in the vaunted Conference of Champions to lose a coach over $3M. They (UCLA) are screwed...and Dixon is screwed. Good job guys...only Iowa could do it better.
The morning rush of all places has repeatedly said that UCLA flies commercial too.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Serious question. The St Mary's coach Randy Bennett, a Tim Floyd and Lorenzo Romar disciple, has been their HC for almost 2 decades and they win quite a bit. Even battle Gonzaga pretty damn hard. He's completely made that program into a quality one.

He seems to really benefit from whatever foreign connection that school has. I don’t know if that’s a SMC thing or a coach thing though?

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL

I think the highlighted problem is the real reason USC and UCLA are both having trouble affording and getting high quality coaches now. Plus for the college football scene in LA you have 2 NFL teams to take oxygen out of the area for college sports.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Lots of skeletons in the closet regarding paying off coaches overseas to get players. He's been suspended for it in the past. He's a very good coach just a sleazy recruiter.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Lots of skeletons in the closet regarding paying off coaches overseas to get players. He's been suspended for it in the past. He's a very good coach just a sleazy recruiter.
Did not know that.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
The difference in tax rates between California and Tennessee (zero state tax) are pretty significant so after taxes and cost of living there may not be much difference in take home.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
At what point do you say screw it and invite Alford back? Or isn't there some successful alum you might give a try ala Penny Hardaway?

Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill!!!

That would be quite the trip. Tiny chairs and bike in his commute to work:).

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
The difference in tax rates between California and Tennessee (zero state tax) are pretty significant so after taxes and cost of living there may not be much difference in take home.
Are you seriously saying that a guy with a multi-million dollar contract gives a **** about the state tax rates when considering their job options?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I would hope that would be 1 of many things to take into consideration. 13% on millions is nothing to sneeze at.
I feel like you would see that more in other sports. For example, why would you want to play for the Yankees or Dodgers when you can pay less taxes in Kansas City?