Yard Care for Dummies

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Dude, who really wants to farm grass?
I finally found something I agree with ArgentCy on. That said, I plan on putting my house on the market sometime this year and I have a nasty looking yard right now. Lots of dead spots and a trench I dug through the front year that needs seeding. Is now a good time to put down seed? Any suggestions on type? It's kind of a mix of shade.

• Creative
Reactions: Jdk

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Picked up a bag of Milorganite yesterday. Their pamphlet advises four yearly feedings with the first one around memorial day. Since I have not used it before would you guys put one down earlier than that?

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Picked up a bag of Milorganite yesterday. Their pamphlet advises four yearly feedings with the first one around memorial day. Since I have not used it before would you guys put one down earlier than that?

Make sure you put it down right before a rain. It’ll smell like manure for a few days.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

It has little to no nitrogen so it’s nearly impossible to over-fertilize with it. That said, it has tripled in price the last few years because of any and every yardcare expert on YouTube espousing its benefits.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It has little to no nitrogen so it’s nearly impossible to over-fertilize with it. That said, it has tripled in price the last few years because of any and every yardcare expert on YouTube espousing its benefits.

Yeah when I got it from Earl May yesterday they said I am lucky to get it as they are usually sold out with it on back order.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
How soon should I put down the pre-emergent crabgrass preventer?

Depending on where you live, I’d wait. I’ve always mowed at least twice, and usually three times before applying pre-emergent crabgrass control. Otherwise you open yourself up to late season problems. You’re throwing money away and wasting weeks of control by doing it too early. Also, don’t apply until after you’re done raking or anything else that will disturb the soil surface.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Oops, I put my crabgrass preventer down 2 weeks ago, was that too early?

Just do it again at 1/4 or 1/2 volume if you want peace of mind.

I don’t have a victory yard I live on a ravine we have a lot of rocks, a lot of animals, and a lot plants/trees so I take some liberties but I don’t think you will destroy your yard with a little supplement.