Vacuum Recommendations

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I bought a SEBO (German). It was a compromise versus a Kirby that was going to be $2,400. It was, I think around $500? It does a great job and is so great at sucking the stuff out of the carpet nap. Only negative is it is a bit on the heavy side. So a person can get a good workout pushing it around.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I have a Shark. Vaccum once every 3 months whether I need to or not and I love it. Also have the Dyson cordless for hard surface floors. Love it as well.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
I'm a sucker for the Suck-O-Matic.
MV5BYTZmYjUyZmQtMDNjNS00MjUwLWIwNTYtNjJiYTM0ODM2Mjg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_.jpg

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
My Dyson pet was pulling threads in an area rug and was too heavy

Went with a Shark. Can take off the canister to use wand on high ceilings. Animal hair doesn’t wrap. Like of things I like

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My Dyson pet was pulling threads in an area rug and was too heavy

Went with a Shark. Can take off the canister to use wand on high ceilings. Animal hair doesn’t wrap. Like of things I like

Same we got one for Xmas. Its been great.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
We currently have one that I hate (was a gift) and the last couple times we've used it, it's been causing or thinking it's causing a short and trips the breaker. Husband did some research and it's apparently a thing with this type of motor. So we could probably fix it but I hate it anyway so we're looking for something different. May fix it and try to Craigslist it. No robot ones for now (though I'd like one) because baby toys are all over the floors.

I've read good things about the cordless Dyson's but looks like there are many options. We really only have two carpeted rooms we use right now, the rest are tile/wood. My preferences are something that doesn't easily tip over and has attachments I can use to dust with. Cordless would be really nice too. We have no pets.

Anyone have opinions?

Just bought the Dyson V-10 cordless.

At first it was weird and I kept looking for the cord because that dang thing is always in the way

Power is good. Not heavy. Portable to take just the motor and a small attachment for cleaning the car.

Battery life isn't outstanding on the highest setting

Edit: Or so my wife tells me. Woman, get me a beer and whatnot

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

CprE84

Mar 31, 2006
Austin, TX
We currently have one that I hate (was a gift) and the last couple times we've used it, it's been causing or thinking it's causing a short and trips the breaker. Husband did some research and it's apparently a thing with this type of motor. So we could probably fix it but I hate it anyway so we're looking for something different. May fix it and try to Craigslist it. No robot ones for now (though I'd like one) because baby toys are all over the floors.

I've read good things about the cordless Dyson's but looks like there are many options. We really only have two carpeted rooms we use right now, the rest are tile/wood. My preferences are something that doesn't easily tip over and has attachments I can use to dust with. Cordless would be really nice too. We have no pets.

Anyone have opinions?

We have a Dyson (corded, not cordless), and love it.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Dante

Dec 23, 2015
I've heard some say that Dyson is a champ with most carpets, but struggles a bit on medium shag to longer shag carpets. Is there any truth to that? We have few bedrooms with medium shag and haven't pulled the trigger on a Dyson yet.

We have a Dyson Animal and just got some new carpet in the house that is pretty thick, my wife can barely move the vacuum on the new carpet. It's quite a workout for me to do it. I'm guessing this is where the struggle comes from? It doesn't have a height adjustment like a lot of other vacs, so really have to battle with the suction.

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
Get a Riccar or Meile. We have bought both the shark and the Dyson animal and they lasted 3 years. Finally but the bullet and bought one that will last. 4 years and no loss of suction on the Meile

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I bought a cheap robot vacuum off Amazon , pretty happy with it so far. When you run it 3-4 times a week, you don't need a deep clean . Plus it goes underneath places you never vacuum .

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
We just got a miele c2 electro. So far its great. Sucks up everything. Been about 2 months and only half a bag so far.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We have a Dyson Animal and just got some new carpet in the house that is pretty thick, my wife can barely move the vacuum on the new carpet. It's quite a workout for me to do it. I'm guessing this is where the struggle comes from? It doesn't have a height adjustment like a lot of other vacs, so really have to battle with the suction.

Thanks, I thought I remembered researching Dyson at one point and reading some recurring complaint. Not having an adjustable height seemed like an oversight to me.

I always heard great things about them, but if they don't work that well in two of our rooms that get sufficient traffic, I guess I'll have to hold off.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
We have a Dyson multifloor that has treated us well. The shark my wife had before we met got to a point where there wasn't hardly any suction, even after cleaning all the filters multiple times.

We have a dog that sheds quite a bit and the Dyson does a great job getting it all. All of our surfaces are either wood, tile or short carpet so no info on the shag carpet. The one thing I don't like is the design of the wand. There's about a 2.5 ft section of rigid hose at the suction end and the hose can be a PITA to maneuver without tipping the vacuum over or dragging it around.