Early Thoughts On Next Season?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
As a fan, I will be optimistic about our NCAA chances next season. Sure we have some holes to fill, but so does every other Big 12 team.

I believe we have 4 proven players in Halliburton, Nixon, Jacobson and Young. Nixon might be the only explosive scorer of the bunch- but IMO its a balanced group

I expect big off season strides by Conditt, Griffin and Lewis. It wouldn't surprise me if Conditt starts next year, but at a minimum he will be a solid post backup. Lewis could be instant offense and Griffin an energy guy who defends, rebounds and slasher.

Prohm has a good eye for talent, after all LW & THT are underclassmen entering the draft. So I would expect 1 or 2 freshman to push for playing time.

IMO we will get 1 or 2 quality additions this spring, either grad transfer and/or JUCO.

I just think we will see a different style of play next year- a more physical team with more motion and movement than prior Prohm teams.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
+ we lose 5 of of our top 7 in rotation.
+ 13-23 conf record last two years.
+ we have (1) guy returning that hit >40% from trey. Maybe one incoming Frosh, who hit>40% in HSchool, can be a THaliburton surprise.
+ Leach and SoYo are questionable since they have played limited mins in 2-years. May not get them at full speed till mid-Jan.

I dunno folks; help me out - where is the optimism? A grad-transfer; a JUCO? This isn't even looking like a bubble team and quite possibly the third consecutive year </= .500 in conf.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Really makes you think about the late season slump we had, happens when you have several guys who may have already checked out to go elsewhere. Do any of you Prohm haters ever think that maybe having two guys with a foot out the door with a few weeks left might be why we seemed to see a lot of hero ball and lost so many then.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Obviously Lard doesn’t because they don’t mesh.

It’s hard to blame Lindell. Prohm clearly broke a lot of trust in that relationship. Wisely, he apologized for it. But Lindell has every right to doubt any of Prohms promises for next year.

I think THT and Prohm had a great relationship but I think THT was one and done no matter what.

I think it’s fair to say Prohm only had a good relationship with 1 out of those 3.

And now we’re replacing 6 out of 13 scholarship players, assuming no one else leaves. Not ideal.

Just really ******* dumb.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'll give you THT.... Maybe Lard, but I still think some of his behaviors may have been rebelling over playing behind those that are less talented.

With that said, are you assuming Prohm and LW's relationship is peachy after he lost his starting spot because he got hurt? Because I think that's a poor take.

Topping yourself again.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Across the CBB landscape players transfer or leave for the professional level- it doesn’t usually mean much about the coach.

It is not exclusive to Prohm so I don’t know why we are conflating players not wanting to play for Prohm and leaving for the benefit of their personal careers.

You know the reason. The crew will be out in force this off season

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
+ we have (1) guy returning that hit >40% from trey. Maybe one incoming Frosh, who hit>40% in HSchool, can be a THaliburton surprise.
+ Leach and SoYo are questionable since they have played limited mins in 2-years. May not get them at full speed till mid-Jan.

I dunno folks; help me out - where is the optimism? A grad-transfer; a JUCO? This isn't even looking like a bubble team and quite possibly the third consecutive year </= .500 in conf.

-- Haliburton makes a large jump from a freshman to a sophomore
-- Nixon is undersized, but mean, and plays some hard-nosed Larry defense
-- somebody at the three surprises... Lewis, Griffin, or Leech... and comes into their own as an effective starter at the Big 12 level, thankfully
-- Jacobson picks up where he left off in Kansas City, and he becomes more effective for having more help on the boards and being able to play the 4
-- Conditt makes some huge strides
-- Solomon comes back 100% healthy, gives the team some size an toughness down low that it was missing last year, and makes that jump as a junior (a fourth-year one, at that) development post who really starts coming into his own
-- one of the freshman surprises, like Haliburton or Conditt did last year
-- Prohm finds a piece or two who are acceptable players at this level... maybe not stars like Shayok, but guys who can effectively chew minutes up for you

...that team is not going to make anybody salivate about conference championships or deep NCAA tournament runs, but it might have enough to sneak into tournament.

We need a guy that will be a game changer....A guy that will come in and knock down 16 foot jump shots. Just remember not all heroes wear capes. View attachment 63561

He was especially deadly when deploying his Vulcan neck pinch.

879212266.jpg.0.jpg

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
I think Haliburton, Lewis, and Conditt will take huge strides this offseason. Haliburton has the tools needed to be a well-rounded scorer, and with his size and athleticism could be a 12/6/6 type of guy. Whether Lewis starts or comes off the bench, I hope to see him take on that "instant offense" role as a guy that can get hot and knock down shots in bunches. Hopefully Conditt will develop into a solid BXII post presence and true rim protector.

I'll be curious to see if Jacobson and/or Young can coexist with Conditt on the floor. They've both shown flashes of extended range. From what I've heard, Prohm sounds like he will experiment with 2-big lineups this offseason. He also talked about ZG hopefully taking a big leap and providing solid minutes at the 3 or 4. Remember, he was the 2nd highest rated recruit of last year's class and had an offer from KU. The potential is there. And we still haven't got to Nixon. I don't know much about his game at CSU except that he was great defensively and a bit of a volume shooter. Hopefully the year off will have a similar effect on him that it had on Jacobson and Shayok.

All that to say, expectations will be mixed next year with so much of our scoring departed. Would our ceiling be higher with THT and/or LW? Of course. But the pieces are in place and I think this year's conference record is the floor for next year's team. 9-9 at worst and the 8th tourney appearance in 9 years.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I'm still optimistic but replacing 45 ppg is pretty daunting. I think Shayok is the biggest loss as THT and Wigginton both shot 40% from the field. But they could at least create their own shots.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think Haliburton, Lewis, and Conditt will take huge strides this offseason. Haliburton has the tools needed to be a well-rounded scorer, and with his size and athleticism could be a 12/6/6 type of guy. Whether Lewis starts or comes off the bench, I hope to see him take on that "instant offense" role as a guy that can get hot and knock down shots in bunches. Hopefully Conditt will develop into a solid BXII post presence and true rim protector.

I'll be curious to see if Jacobson and/or Young can coexist with Conditt on the floor. They've both shown flashes of extended range. From what I've heard, Prohm sounds like he will experiment with 2-big lineups this offseason. He also talked about ZG hopefully taking a big leap and providing solid minutes at the 3 or 4. Remember, he was the 2nd highest rated recruit of last year's class and had an offer from KU. The potential is there. And we still haven't got to Nixon. I don't know much about his game at CSU except that he was great defensively and a bit of a volume shooter. Hopefully the year off will have a similar effect on him that it had on Jacobson and Shayok.

All that to say, expectations will be mixed next year with so much of our scoring departed. Would our ceiling be higher with THT and/or LW? Of course. But the pieces are in place and I think this year's conference record is the floor for next year's team. 9-9 at worst and the 8th tourney appearance in 9 years.

We are undoubtedly going to be worse scoring in the half-court, which sucks, because that is one of the key things about winning basketball games.

I can see a path, however, where we might be better at many other things -- getting out in transition, defense, and rebounding being chief among them.

We will have to see where that nets out. Probably not as good as the 2018-2019 team we just witnessed, but I am not going to give up on them yet.

I look into next season and see more in the cupboard than we had in 2017, for instance.

Reactions: ILiftWithRoyce

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Reasons for optimism are much harder to find than they were two months ago, but I can still find them ;)

1. Looking forward to the team playing a different style. Playing bigger, less switching on the pick and roll. More old school type defense.

2. Excited about the front court. Jacobsen is a good offensive player, and should be less exposed defensively next year. Solo is still young and he’ll bounce back from those injuries.

3. Haliburton, Conditt, and Nixon will all be good. It’s just a matter of how large a role they can handle next year. Conditt could be the defensive anchor we were missing this year. I wouldn’t put a ceiling on Tyrese at this point. Nixon is pesky and may be a fan favorite.

4. Griffin and Lewis were both good recruits, both still want to be here despite the lack of PT, and I’d expect at least one of them to have a breakout year next year.

5. It’s still only April 5 and we have three open scholarships. I’m not expecting Kane to walk through that door, but we’ll add a couple.

6. If all else fails, you can always hope Tre Jackson is the 2nd coming of Ja Morant :) and Manny Leech regains that Top 10 ability with more time to recover.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
So starting lineup will be
Haliburton
Nixon
Lewis
Jacobson
Conditt

Young is playing for sure if healthy.

Who plays after that I think is a big mystery. Griffin didn't show much this year. Anderson, Leech and Jackson aren't highly rated recruits but I would bet at least one surprise and I think the best guess is Leech considering how highly rated he once was. Hope they can get one impact grad transfer.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So starting lineup will be
Haliburton
Nixon
Lewis
Jacobson
Conditt

Young is playing for sure if healthy.

Who plays after that I think is a big mystery. Griffin didn't show much this year. Anderson, Leech and Jackson aren't highly rated recruits but I would bet at least one surprise and I think the best guess is Leech considering how highly rated he once was. Hope they can get one impact grad transfer.

Those are a good six men to start.

Assume one of Lewis/Griffin breaks out.

Assume one of the freshmen breaks out.

Assume Prohm finds one more contributor on the transfer market.

That is a team that could finish in the middle of the Big 12 and sneak into the NCAA tournament as a #10 or #11 seed or something like that.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Maybe don't use our transition year record to skew your own optimism?

Lewis, Griffin and Conditt are 4 star guys with a year (and 2 years) in the system, that just so happened to be buried behind some future pros (in the case of Lewis and Griffin).

Tyrese is a stud that you can build around (not to mention, a leader with an infectiously good attitude).

Young and Jacobson are very solid pieces in the front court.

Nixon is a proven quantity on defense, with a skillset that was lacking from our team last year on that end.

Leech is a very highly regarded guy that could be the X factor if he's fully recovered from the broken leg.

Luke Anderson gives us that true stretch four that we've been missing.

Tre Jackson could be a hidden gem.

Add to that whoever we might pick up in late recruiting (I'm hoping for one freshman, one grad transfer that is ready to step in and one sit one, play one (or two)) and I'm optimistic that they can make some noise.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Maybe don't use our transition year record to skew your own optimism?

Lewis, Griffin and Conditt are 4 star guys with a year (and 2 years) in the system, that just so happened to be buried behind some future pros (in the case of Lewis and Griffin).

Tyrese is a stud that you can build around (not to mention, a leader with an infectiously good attitude).

Young and Jacobson are very solid pieces in the front court.

Nixon is a proven quantity on defense, with a skillset that was lacking from our team last year on that end.

Leech is a very highly regarded guy that could be the X factor if he's fully recovered from the broken leg.

Luke Anderson gives us that true stretch four that we've been missing.

Tre Jackson could be a hidden gem.

Add to that whoever we might pick up in late recruiting (I'm hoping for one freshman, one grad transfer that is ready to step in and one sit one, play one (or two)) and I'm optimistic that they can make some noise.

*Conditt wasn't a 4 star.