SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
We switched to a high deductible plan 2 years ago and HSAs. $940 is a lot I’m assuming she is with a smaller company? The plan still covers the day to day stuff that all ins does, but if we have broken bones, emergency room visits etc ya we gotta eat a big chunk up front. Rare to find a health care plan you can sit back and say wow I’m getting a good deal nowadays IMO.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I paid like 285 for myself as a single 26 year old male with no health issues.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
We pay around $1350 a month. Small company with low participation and a few significant health issues in the group

Same situation but $1650 (spouse is President of company so I get to see the insurance proposals every October)

Should note that is for two of us. Older and health issues. $2000/4000 deductible and $6000/12,0000 max out of pocket

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Damn... My wife and I work for the same company. Kids are on her plan, and I'm on my own, but combined, we pay less than $300/month. That includes medical and dental for all of us, and vision for me. Medical deductibles are $500/person (so $500 for my plan, $1,500 for her plan). Perks of a big company I guess.

tleonwdm

Apr 13, 2006
WDM
Assuming kids are involved? Many plans offer an employee plus children rate that is lower than full family. Might be worth you looking at single coverage on your plan vs. all of you on wife’s plan. I do that now with kids on my plan due to cost structure. Wife has employee only on her plan. Since employer contributions are typically slanted toward employee portion of cost, saves us overall.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My wife is a teacher and pays nothing for herself, I cover me and the kids and it's like $50 I think.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I pay $18 a month for just me with $600 a year for an HSA. I suggest selling your soul and working for a big company.

I agree. I pay about $60/month for a high deductible plan (kid/wife on her plan through her employer). Max out of pocket per year is $5,250, and United HealthCare pays 80% of the bills once I get to $3,000 out of pocket. One nice perk is that I contribute the max of $3,450 to the HSA each year and that ends up being pre-tax. Saves me about $800 in federal tax each year.

I'd never, ever pay the premiums some of you guys are listing in this thread. I'm a pretty healthy guy and I'd just risk it before paying those insane premiums. It would take a fair amount of medical care to justify the premiums unless you have something catastrophic happen.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Are you both healthy? If so, I'd just go with the high deductible and save the $

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I agree. I pay about $60/month for a high deductible plan (kid/wife on her plan through her employer). Max out of pocket per year is $5,250, and United HealthCare pays 80% of the bills once I get to $3,000 out of pocket. One nice perk is that I contribute the max of $3,450 to the HSA each year and that ends up being pre-tax. Saves me about $800 in federal tax each year.

I'd never, ever pay the premiums some of you guys are listing in this thread. I'm a pretty healthy guy and I'd just risk it before paying those insane premiums. It would take a fair amount of medical care to justify the premiums unless you have something catastrophic happen.

This is pretty dumb. I’m healthy. I never go to the doctor for being sick. But 12 years ago I had a ruptured appendix and it would have cost $20k out of pocket.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
This is pretty dumb. I’m healthy. I never go to the doctor for being sick. But 12 years ago I had a ruptured appendix and it would have cost $20k out of pocket.

You could most likely negotiate that down to about half of that cost or even less, and some people are listing premiums of about $1,000 per month. So in 10 months you've recouped that cost. I've gone years, recently, without stepping foot in a medical care facility of any type.

• Optimistic
Reactions: BoxsterCy

CyJack2299

Mar 26, 2019
That's the rub, we have two kids and neither employer offers a HSA. there is no "her and kids". It's either single or family plan .

I don't know why it's so damn expensive. How do your places afford these cheaper plans?

Because there are like 30,000 other employees on these company plans.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I work for a mid size construction company (~150 salaried employees) that is self insured. I’m very fortunate that they have made health care a focus of their compensation package. We pay $350/month for a family plan. $400 individual and $800 family deductible. Out of pocket max is $1600. We just had a baby via c section this year and only paid $1600 out of the $25,000 billed to insurance.

• Optimistic
Reactions: wxman1 and SoapyCy

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
$0/month plus I get $1000 deposited by my company every 6 months into my HSA. I have a $1500 max out of pocket but with the HSA deposits I'm essentially getting paid. They also provide $800 a year for personal wellness (think gym membership, fitness equipment, 5k race fees, even massages and camping gear).

After seeing what you all are paying, I also recommend selling your soul to a big company.

CoachBob

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
It is really sad how they treat small schools. There has been proposed legislation to allow schools to combine for insurance negotiation but the problem is that the lobby is too strong for this to happen. We all live under the same pension plan and are governed by the same licensure board but are considered separate by insurance companies. The larger group would also help the taxpayer as it should reduce costs. I feel for you , I have been there. If your plan is higher deductible is it an HSA plan? If so I would go that way.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
Health insurance is the only type of insurance where you cannot truly pick your own plan that you can afford. When you insure your house or your car, you get to pick what you want covered and what kind of deductible you would like, each of these impacting the cost, which helps you pick your coverage and cover your risk at a price you feel like you can afford.

Because of group coverage with health, however, the only way to get "affordable" health coverage is through an employer's group discount, but then you don't really get to pick. Instead, the employer pre-selects the insurance company and a provides a few coverage options that you can choose from. One of the biggest fears in losing a job is "oh man, I am going to lose my health insurance coverage!"

In my opinion, and it might be very unpopular, is that there should not be group discounts for health insurance. Employers, instead of spending so much on health coverage, could pay their employees more (haha, right?!) Everyone should be able to just go out and design their own plan. Of course this is an "option" now, but it is a foolish one, because buying your own insurance is a ripoff when compared to group rates!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron