Early Thoughts On Next Season?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I chose to be optimistic about next year. Zion was our 2nd highest recruit last year, and fell behind early due to injuries. Conditt showed flashes of being really good. Haliburton was much better than expected.

Add in Jacobson, Young, and Lewis, there is a whole summer for everyone to get bigger and improve.

Freshmen could also surprise

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Disappointing we're dealing with a rebuild like this entering Prohm's fifth year. Can't blame this one on Hoiberg. I trust we'll bring in some talent to fill the gaps, it's what Prohm has shown he's best at.

Next year will be a make or break year for Prohm in my mind.
Programs have peaks and valleys, unless you are Duke, Kansas or North Carolina. Welcome to college basketball. Stringing together 3-4 bad years in a row is a different story. Prohm already rebounded after one bad season, I'm sure he can do it again if next year is a down year as well.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
People who don't think it's going to be rough next year are delusional.

We are losing Shayok, Babb, LW, THT, and Lard folks. That's basically 100% of our offense.

I just hope Prohm can go find some 45% three point shooters out there and just try to be the Golden State of college next year. If you have a team full of guys that can knock down shots, that's a good place to start.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

We are losing Shayok, Babb, LW, THT, and Lard folks. That's basically 100% of our offense.

I just hope Prohm can go find some 45% three point shooters out there and just try to be the Golden State of college next year. If you have a team full of guys that can knock down shots, that's a good place to start.
Problem is we will need to win games next year on the defensive side, which I’m not sure if it happens. We’re going to need more consistent scoring from Jacobson, Conditt, and Haliburton. Even Nixon shot 35% from the field at CSU, which makes me really wonder how much we are overrating him. We really need Lewis and Griffin to massively improve. Next year is downright scary honestly.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006

I'm usually a negative Nancy with stuff and I think we are a bubble team next year. I think we will add at least one more major piece to next year's team. We have a team that will move the ball next year and that will be huge. The guys who are now gone, tend to let the ball stick in their hands too much. Someone will step up. I will not be shocked if Lewis is that guy. I have said from the moment we recruited him, I think he will take a similar path as Jok and not really have a big impact til he is a junior. I also think George will have a coming out year next year. We have guys that want to be here, you will be surprised how much that will make an impact on the overall ability of a team.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Problem is we will need to win games next year on the defensive side, which I’m not sure if it happens. We’re going to need more consistent scoring from Jacobson, Conditt, and Haliburton. Even Nixon shot 35% from the field at CSU, which makes me really wonder how much we are overrating him. We really need Lewis and Griffin to massively improve. Next year is downright scary honestly.
Really not that worried with the players we bring back.. and I would be perfectly fine if he didn’t pick up a transfer that he feels he owes playing time to.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyclad

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i love all the negativity. i'm more than happy to take the other side of pretty much any CF consensus debate. we have 10k posts on how much iowa sucks and they smacked us and made the tourney and won a game. baylor, OU, and Ttech were supposed to be terrible. WVU was supposed to be good.

its college bball, its unpredictable. there's a zillion transfers and de-commits out there and its going to accelerate the next 2-3 weeks. who knows what our team looks like July 1.

i think prohm, longer term, can be successful building through high school recruits. he just got a bit unlucky that THT was too good in Maui.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
We will be fine inside. We need to add an impact guard/wing. That’s our biggest need. It looks like we will sign at least one HS guard. Probably one sit out transfer. Would be great if we can find an impact grad transfer who can score.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I’m hoping for a season like OU’s season this year. They lost quite a bit of talent, but returned a couple of starters, added a couple
mid-level grad transfers. and got it together enough to make the tourney.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
I agree with the bottom half.

Wigginton should’ve been starting by February. THT was debatably the worst player on the court the second half of conference play on, minus the Baylor game. When we went on that massive skid would’ve been a perfect time to change things up.
You don’t just swap Wigginton for THT. Defensively THT was pretty solid and pretty versatile. This is where Wigginton struggled. ISU didn’t struggle down the stretch because of offense, it is because defensively it lost some edge.

Wigginton simply wasn’t the same player until very late in the season with occasional flashes here and there.

I don’t really fault Prohm for how personnel was handled given the cards that were dealt.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
You don’t just swap Wigginton for THT. Defensively THT was pretty solid and pretty versatile. This is where Wigginton struggled. ISU didn’t struggle down the stretch because of offense, it is because defensively it lost some edge.

Wigginton simply wasn’t the same player until very late in the season with occasional flashes here and there.

I don’t really fault Prohm for how personnel was handled given the cards that were dealt.
Really? The dude let his guys get open all the time. He didn't play defense most of the time, it was just covered up by great steals and blocks occasionally. THT has the ability to be a phenomenal defender, but he needs more coaching with it.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Why are so many people negatively acting like next year is a foregone conclusion?

So much is still yet to happen (good or bad) before we have any idea what the roster looks like.

Also, don’t discount player development and the additional practices over the summer due to playing in Italy benefitting this team.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Really? The dude let his guys get open all the time. He didn't play defense most of the time, it was just covered up by great steals and blocks occasionally. THT has the ability to be a phenomenal defender, but he needs more coaching with it.
Really.

Highest defensive rebounding rate on the team, highest steal rate, got quite a few blocks, and easily the most switchable defender.

Sure, could he improve on help rotations and benefit from more coaching? No doubt. But he is was sneakily one of ISUs most valuable and consistent players on the defensive end.

p.s. Also THT had the 2nd best off/on defensive points per possession on the team (Lard was best). Offensively, is where THT could have been much more efficient.

Last edited:

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Right now, next year looks like a giant fish sandwich.

I guess that depends on how you feel about fish sandwiches.

A grad wing transfer is needed but I think it's also going to take Prohm to radically change his philosophy and play 2 bigs. If Prohm can change the identity of team and go to 2 bigs, and the youth develops, and the team makes it to the Tourney my opinion of his coaching acumen will radically change as well. But like he cares or matters what my opinion is.

Prohm said in that interview with CW that he going to play 2 bigs next year. Said he played 2 bigs most the time at Murry and wanted to get back to that.
I truly think if Solo is healthy, that happens this past year.

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Really.

Highest defensive rebounding rate on the team, highest steal rate, got quite a few blocks, and easily the most switchable defender.

Sure, could he improve on help rotations and benefit from more coaching? No doubt. But he is was sneakily one of ISUs most valuable and consistent players on the defensive end.

p.s. Also THT had the 2nd best off/on defensive points per possession on the team (Lard was best). Offensively, is where THT could have been much more efficient.
Not saying he didn't put up the stats... He is actually a great rebounder, but I saw him so many times just not even follow his man. Figured that, shooting, and losing some weight would be what brought him back for a second year.

Last edited:

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Not saying he didn't put up the stats... He is actually a great rebounder, but I saw him so many times just not even follow his defender. Figured that, shooting, and losing some weight would be what brought him back for a second year.
Agree, he could have definitely improved and he probably did lose his defenders multiple occasions.

But my original point was that people act like there should have been a swap in for Wigginton and out for THT. You will gain some offensively, but overall you would have lost more than you gain because of THTs defensive versatility.

And again, defensively is where we lost it as the season progressed- so any offensive gains from Wigginton would have had a neutral effect.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Why are so many people negatively acting like next year is a foregone conclusion?

So much is still yet to happen (good or bad) before we have any idea what the roster looks like.

Also, don’t discount player development and the additional practices over the summer due to playing in Italy benefitting this team.
I agree, there are paths to having a good rebuilding year next season. Some staffs would pull off such a challenge. After 2017-18, followed by a likely peak year being 9-9 in conference play, with a nearly a month slump to end the season, it’s reasonable to have some doubts that includes this one.

Add a great grad transfer scorer, and two of Grill, Nadolny, or a solid transfer. That’s potentially another roster with 5 or 6 shooters, but with more pg capabilities. Better ball movement and perimeter defense. Young instantly reduces the need to double. Improve our attention to detail and perhaps we go 9 or 10 deep while increasing our defensive and transition pressure.