Bridget Carleton wins Cheryl Miller Award & WBCA All-American

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Iowa State women's basketball senior Bridget Carleton caps her historic season with two of the highest distinctions Women's College Basketball has to offer. The Chatham, Ontario native was named the 2019 Cheryl Miller Award winner, which honors the best small forward in NCAA Division I. Upon earning the award, Carleton is also named to the Naismith Starting 5.

Carleton also was named to the 10-member WBCA Coaches All-America Team. She becomes the first Iowa State women's basketball player to earn either distinction. She is also just the second student-athlete to earn the Cheryl Miller Award, joining UConn's Gabby Williams, who was the inaugural recipient.

https://cyclones.com/news/2019/4/4/...xgXmBYsxawAZTkBohwsCgZpcs_YpI7PO-actVMs3j9Sss

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Congrats to Bridget! Nary a word was said on the Ch. 13 6pm news.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Congrats to Bridget! Nary a word was said on the Ch. 13 6pm news.

Well, it is only the 2nd year for the award and it is specific to small forwards so I won't actually expect it's TV news. Good news is that with social media the fans that actually care get the news.

I actually like the recognition as "small forward" which is what I always think of Carleton as. Not sure why small forwards all get called guards these days. Is the term "small forward" that uncool a term that it's just guards or wings for Carleton type players?

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Replacing Carleton and Middleton is going to be a real challenge come next year. Those two really made the team what it was this year.

Am hoping their being outstanding role models will pave the way for others to step up. I firmly believe Joens is our next superstar, but there is a tremendous amount of talent on the team.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
CONGRATS to Bridget on these amazing accomplishments. Was disappointed to see our AD JP tweeting about a MBB player that left after one season (Clayton Custer) in the 3pt contest instead of one of our own receiving awards at the highest level of WBB.