Early Thoughts On Next Season?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm not certain either can come in a play but Jackson and Anderson have a great opportunity next season. If either guy can consistently knock down 3's, they'll have to play. The way the team looks right now, shooting is going to be a big weakness. We'll see a ton of zone, especially without a guy who can create off the dribble.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Dude. This is a ill informed take.

A dude who has had problems his whole career here transferred. A dude projected to go in the first round of the NBA draft is leaving. A dude whose dream it is the play in the NBA who was a fringe first round pick last year is also leaving.

I'll give you THT.... Maybe Lard, but I still think some of his behaviors may have been rebelling over playing behind those that are less talented.

With that said, are you assuming Prohm and LW's relationship is peachy after he lost his starting spot because he got hurt? Because I think that's a poor take.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
I don’t think he’s saying Prohm is a bad coach, I think he’s asking if the players simply didn’t want to play for Prohm.

Lard didn’t.
Wigginton wasn’t satisfied with how he was utilized this season

THT should test the waters, even if Prohm and him were best friends.
Across the CBB landscape players transfer or leave for the professional level- it doesn’t usually mean much about the coach.

It is not exclusive to Prohm so I don’t know why we are conflating players not wanting to play for Prohm and leaving for the benefit of their personal careers.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Will depend who we get for grad transfers, but I’d say 9th or 10th in the Big 12. Really worried how ugly the non conference might look to start the year.
Player development and buying into roles will be huge this year. Specifically, for Griffin, Lewis, and Haliburton. What ISU lacks is a player who can create their own shot and consistently break someone down off the dribble. I would argue they lacked that consistent, reliable threat last year too.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I don’t think he’s saying Prohm is a bad coach, I think he’s asking if the players simply didn’t want to play for Prohm.

Lard didn’t.
Wigginton wasn’t satisfied with how he was utilized this season

THT should test the waters, even if Prohm and him were best friends.

That’s how it starts...
The fever... The rage...
Turns good men... Cruel.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Disappointing we're dealing with a rebuild like this entering Prohm's fifth year. Can't blame this one on Hoiberg. I trust we'll bring in some talent to fill the gaps, it's what Prohm has shown he's best at.

Next year will be a make or break year for Prohm in my mind.

Unfortunately this past season was our peak year (near term), but we fizzled toward the end and did nothing in the tourney.

Next year will be a rebuilding year.

I hope we can have a big year in 2020.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Unfortunately this past season was our peak year (near term), but we fizzled toward the end and did nothing in the tourney.

Next year will be a rebuilding year.

I hope we can have a big year in 2020.

We will see how spring recruiting goes. Last time around, the immediate guys were hit or miss... Brase was basically a bust, Beverly was not a Big 12 player, and Talley was an okay piece that could see playing time on many good teams... but the sit-out recruiting with Jacobson and Shayok actually went really well. That argues for a strong 2020, however.

Haliburton and Conditt as juniors, Solomon as a senior, and a good guy or two coming off a redshirt sounds promising, but, man, that is a real long time from now.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Obviously Lard doesn’t because they don’t mesh.

It’s hard to blame Lindell. Prohm clearly broke a lot of trust in that relationship. Wisely, he apologized for it. But Lindell has every right to doubt any of Prohms promises for next year.

I think THT and Prohm had a great relationship but I think THT was one and done no matter what.

I think it’s fair to say Prohm only had a good relationship with 1 out of those 3.

And now we’re replacing 6 out of 13 scholarship players, assuming no one else leaves. Not ideal.
I've been critical of Prohm but one thing you can't criticize is his all in for Iowa state and what's best for the team. He felt what was best for the team was to have LW come off the bench in spite of it being detrimental to the relationship to one of his best player's. Right or wrong on that decision he stuck to what he thought was the right move knowing it would probably mean arguably his best player would leave. That takes some guts.

Lard on the other hand I feel Prohm did absolutely everything he could to make it work but it just didn't. In that sense I think Lard failed Prohm.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Man, next year could be hairy on offense.

Maybe we can make up for it with pace and locking down on defense.

FOR SURE STARTERS
Nixon
Jacobson (doubt Prohm would bench him after last year and he is a senior)
Haliburton

STARTING OR HEAVILY IN THE ROTATION
Young (oh goodness, do I hope he is healthy going into next year)
Conditt (starting where he left off, pretty sure in his development)

WOULD BE REALLY NICE IF THESE GUYS DEVELOPED
Lewis
Griffin
Jackson
Leech
Anderson

+3 that we can find in the spring

I think we have five players good enough to play at the Big 12 level. The problem is that three of them are big men, and the pieces are kind of an awkward fit.

I think you need 7-8. So we need at least another two.

Having in 1-2 of Lewis, Griffin, Jackson, or Leech be ready for a big role immediately would be really nice, sort of like Haliburton was coming into last season.

Finding 1-2 useful pieces from the transfer market would be nice, too.
A grad wing transfer is needed but I think it's also going to take Prohm to radically change his philosophy and play 2 bigs. If Prohm can change the identity of team and go to 2 bigs, and the youth develops, and the team makes it to the Tourney my opinion of his coaching acumen will radically change as well. But like he cares or matters what my opinion is.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Honestly, we're one grad transfer from reloaded. Someone like Tucker from AR-LR and Haliburton, Nixon, Tucker, MJ/SY and Conditt gives us a solid five.

Getting a GT to play the 3 is ideal as well for Leech's recovery. Jackson will be solid next year and adding Nadolny or Grill gives us a solid rotation.

We're not the only team with holes to fill from the potential draft. Seriously when you can survive losing 5 of 7 of your rotation plus #8, you're made a statement.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I've been critical of Prohm but one thing you can't criticize is his all in for Iowa state and what's best for the team. He felt what was best for the team was to have LW come off the bench in spite of it being detrimental to the relationship to one of his best player's. Right or wrong on that decision he stuck to what he thought was the right move knowing it would probably mean arguably his best player would leave. That takes some guts.

Lard on the other hand I feel Prohm did absolutely everything he could to make it work but it just didn't. In that sense I think Lard failed Prohm.

I agree with the bottom half.

Wigginton should’ve been starting by February. THT was debatably the worst player on the court the second half of conference play on, minus the Baylor game. When we went on that massive skid would’ve been a perfect time to change things up.