capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I'm surprised this type of development isn't the rule rather than the exception.

It used to be.

It is complicated and I've mentioned this on other threads. When we made the shift and decided post-WWII that the #1 priority in building our cities was to make it as easy as possible for as many cars to go anywhere and everywhere as possible, that had a dramatic and unfortunate effect on our development pattern.

This is why the neighborhoods west of downtown, Beaverdale, Prairie Trail, etc. are priced at a premium when you compare a similar house in a newer suburban styled neighborhood. It is supply and demand. It causes most of us to settle for less than what we ideally want because the ideal is priced at a premium or there simply isn't anything on the market available.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: EnhancedFujita

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I'm surprised this type of development isn't the rule rather than the exception.

The big turnoff for me in that area are the little narrow streets with the little narrow alleys leading to your garage. I’d hate to be on top of my neighbors any more than I already am.

The neighborhood north of Oralabor and west of Irvandale would be a prime location for me. Basically straight north of Ace. A little out of the price range right now though.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The big turnoff for me in that area are the little narrow streets with the little narrow alleys leading to your garage. I’d hate to be on top of my neighbors any more than I already am.

The neighborhood north of Oralabor and west of Irvandale would be a prime location for me. Basically straight north of Ace. A little out of the price range right now though.
Some part of Sommerset in Ames had the same alley situation.

If you like that area North of Ace, check out some of the Neighborhoods along 18th St. The area where Fletcher is down to Kimberly’s house is nice.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Have you looked at Bondurant?

But then he'd be neighbors with @ChrisMWilliams. We're trying to get him to fall in love with the metro, not scare him off.

xd5zx3.png

• Funny
Reactions: capitalcityguy

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Some part of Sommerset in Ames had the same alley situation.

If you like that area North of Ace, check out some of the Neighborhoods along 18th St. The area where Fletcher is down to Kimberly’s house is nice.

I’m actually already off of 18th over towards Westwood Elementary. I love it here and that area north of ace seems like a bigger version of where we’re at. Same type of vibe.

We were also looking in that area north of Hawkeye park there between 1st and 18th. Really liked that area too.

Reactions: JP4CY

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Narrower streets mean people naturally drive slower so it is safer for kids playing, bicyclists, etc. The big wide highway wide suburban streets we wee so much of these days gives drivers the impression it is not only safe to drive faster, but that they should.

Spell4isu

Jan 6, 2019
My wife and I want to move to Des Moines - either the city itself or a close-in suburb. She is a teacher and can work just about anywhere and I work in a niche industry without a lot of job openings. We have two kids not yet in school. I am not opposed to a career change. We're both in our mid-30s.

We're obviously not going to move without jobs lined up but I am afraid if we wait that long we'll never have the chance before our kids get established in school in our current town.

Does anyone have advice for us? Have you made a similar move?

We are hopeful we'll be able to work something out soon.

I would consider letting your wife's job search drive many of your move decisions. You will really value living close to the school she works at, and your kids will be in that district when they start. I haven't moved in 15 years, (and then it was literally across a highway), but my dad moved us a lot when I was a kid, and I really valued the times when we were literally in walking distance to the school we attended. It isn't as feasible to do that anymore, but you will find your world will start to revolve around the school community once they are in school. Good luck with your search!

• Informative
Reactions: capitalcityguy

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
why would you really want to move to Des Moines? grew up in and around DSM, left for 5 yrs, (including 1.5 yrs over seas) came back to ankeny (family moved there in 2000) for 2 yrs for DMACC and couldn't wait to get the hell out of town again. now live in a town of 1,200 with no stop lights at all and absolutely love it. but if you really need to, I'd go with Bondurant, Norwalk or one of the other smaller but still closer communities. you can get that same community involvement as you have now but have the amenities of DSM still close by.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUCY23

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
why would you really want to move to Des Moines? grew up in and around DSM, left for 5 yrs, (including 1.5 yrs over seas) came back to ankeny (family moved there in 2000) for 2 yrs for DMACC and couldn't wait to get the hell out of town again. now live in a town of 1,200 with no stop lights at all and absolutely love it. but if you really need to, I'd go with Bondurant, Norwalk or one of the other smaller but still closer communities. you can get that same community involvement as you have now but have the amenities of DSM still close by.
I doubt your town of 1200 has a Catholic school.
Maybe they also like bike trails, concerts, ICubs games, etc.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Someone tell me how awesome WDM and Clive are, because that's where I'm looking. Or if they're not awesome, that would be good to know too.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
We love it in Johnston, but sounds like it might not be the best fit for you. One of the big reasons we moved here was schools for our 5 year old, obviously wouldn't be as much of a draw for you.

Our house now is walking distance to the elementary, which is nice. Even though we're in a cookie cutter neighborhood on the far West side, I still feel a sense of community. I chat with the 6 closest neighbors, there are always kids out, people/dogs walking, 3 parks within walking distance, etc. I think there are a lot of community events like Green Days, Kites on the Green, multiple police/fire fighter hosted events throughout the year, recreation/learning events, etc.

We're now in the process of moving to a bigger place in a newer Johnston neighborhood. Our criteria for this move were 1) still in Johnston schools for our now 10 year old 2) 3 car attached garage so both can park inside with all our stuff 3) home office space. We are able to afford a ~$350k house on our combined $125k salaries primarily due to our current place going from $200k to $240k in less than 4 years. We also drive a 2007 & a 2013 and have all debt besides house paid off. No boats/campers, and only 1 little tyke in daycare (still $1k/mo). The new house property taxes are going to be gross, though. Guess someone has to pay for those schools we love so much.

Reactions: JP4CY

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Why would you think you know what is best for my family based on your desires?

I already said I want to move to a more urban area but my wife said no. Moving to a town of 1,200 is the wrong direction unless I had 50+ acres and <30 minutes to a big town.
Thats why I said if you really must move to the dsm area move to one of the smaller communities around the area, you'll spend slightly less on housing but still be close to the "amenities" of dsm near by. but most of the suburbs are just cookie cutter expansion all over with no real sense of community other then what little neighborhood or street you might live in/on. your asking for advice, and I'm saying dsm area isn't everything people make it out to be really and asking do you really think life will be better/easier in the area compared to marshalltown? you'll be paying more for housing, have a longer commute to go a shorter distance most of the time, and not really gain much while having more expenses.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Maybe you'll get lucky. My parents tried the townhouse thing and hated it so they flipped it and moved outside of town. My dad went nuts not having anything to take care of or space to breathe.

I'm in a townhouse right now, but as an unmarried person it's a good deal for me. Relatively inexpensive and I really don't need a ton of space.

There are some couples with kids in our complex; I wouldn't want to try to fit an entire family into this thing.

• Informative
Reactions: jsb

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Someone tell me how awesome WDM and Clive are, because that's where I'm looking. Or if they're not awesome, that would be good to know too.

WDM and Clive are great. I'm kind of partial to the area off of 50th St in WDM between EP True and Ashworth but there are a lot of great neighborhoods depending on your price range.

• Useful
Reactions: benjay

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Just looking around Zillow a little and it really does look like the market is way up. Lived in the Valley Junction area and that was fairly nice, not great for young kids as it was mostly older people, but not bad. Older neighborhood and just looking around there is very little for sale and the prices are really high. $150,000 for some small older houses is a little steep.
yes the market is way up. I'm currently building a new construction home for my business in Coyote Ridge in Urbandale and its 1758 sq ft. Just listed it 2 days ago at $369,900. Its very nice and an amazing view out back with a pond but still...the market is high.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored