Good MBB article from Travis Hines

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He literally said "I apologized" to Lindell at least four times in that piece. He said he should have started him at some point, that he deserved it. Seems pretty explicit to me.

And I should have been more clear. Lindell was undoubtedly considered our best player coming into the season. I agree it did not turn out that way.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with Prohm's decision to bring him off the bench. I just didn't realize he struggled with it so much, especially given we had enough stretches of bad games where a chance to shake things up might have been a good thing.

There is definitely a trend of Prohm talking about how he thought about doing something sooner or should have made a change or kept things the same that were working after the fact.

The honesty is great. The repeated retrospect and not acting on things in the moment isn't.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
He literally said "I apologized" to Lindell at least four times in that piece. He said he should have started him at some point, that he deserved it. Seems pretty explicit to me.

And I should have been more clear. Lindell was undoubtedly considered our best player coming into the season. I agree it did not turn out that way.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with Prohm's decision to bring him off the bench. I just didn't realize he struggled with it so much, especially given we had enough stretches of bad games where a chance to shake things up might have been a good thing.

The thing I saw is Prohm seems to care about who is in at the end of games and Wigginton was in during crunch time. So was Lard some of the time depending how he was playing.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The thing I saw is Prohm seems to care about who is in at the end of games and Wigginton was in during crunch time. So was Lard some of the time depending how he was playing.

I agree. And that would have been an easy, sensible thing for him to say in response to the question. But it's clear he struggled with it all season, which seems unnecessary given that he's the coach and can make a change whenever he wants. Not a criticism, just an observation. I too appreciate his honesty and humility.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
There is definitely a trend of Prohm talking about how he thought about doing something sooner or should have made a change or kept things the same that were working after the fact.

The honesty is great. The repeated retrospect and not acting on things in the moment isn't.
Prohm seems to a pretty humble and self-effacing individual.

He is more likely to publically find fault with himself rather than say he had all the right answers. Just likely he is prone to take blame and deflect it away from others.

This is all to say Prohm has probably made more “good” decisions than “bad” ones in his tenure at ISU, but he isn’t the type of person to focus on the “good”. Just like fans should not focus solely on the “bad”.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

He is more likely to publically find fault with himself rather than say he had all the right answers.

This is all to say Prohm has probably made more “good” decisions than “bad” ones in his tenure at ISU, but he isn’t the type of person to focus on the “good”. Just like fans should not focus solely on the “bad”.

Exactly. He is honest to a fault and that hurts him with simple minded fans.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

He is more likely to publically find fault with himself rather than say he had all the right answers. Just likely he is prone to take blame and deflect it away from others.

Just like Fran!

• Funny
Reactions: trevn

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Believe me I’m not naive

Maybe not, but you seem to be going out of your way to trash the guy. Again, maybe you need better info and talk to people that he worked and works with. And know what’s going on in other programs, you might change your tune.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Maybe not, but you seem to be going out of your way to trash the guy. Again, maybe you need better info and talk to people that he worked and works with. And know what’s going on in other programs, you might change your tune.

It seems odd you are so defensive about him. He’s a competitor

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
It seems odd you are so defensive about him. He’s a competitor

Defensive? -lol. No. Just know he was very valuable to our past teams, so now we trash him just cuz he’s at Nebr? He was a competitor at St John’s too but that doesn’t diminish the work he puts in and the contributions he makes to the programs he works for. Including when he was at ISU. Having said that, any future mutual recruit I hope we beat his butt for them!!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah I'm not trying to rag on him. Truly appreciate his loyalty and dedication to a place that requires that. Also some positive news about guys like Lewis etc.

Has there been a more well liked kid that struggles to find the court as Lewis?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Matt A. has a tremendous amount of respect for ISU and leaving Ames wasn't an easy choice for him.
According to some on here it wasn't his choice because of some of his recruiting tactics. Is that wrong? I would love to know.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I agree. And that would have been an easy, sensible thing for him to say in response to the question. But it's clear he struggled with it all season, which seems unnecessary given that he's the coach and can make a change whenever he wants. Not a criticism, just an observation. I too appreciate his honesty and humility.

Many of us would do well to agonize over past decisions once in awhile. Self reflection is a very positive character trait.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
That's good to hear. The only other person I was thinking might go would be Terrance Lewis, but he could very well get a bigger role next year

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron