capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I live in Grimes and will put in a plug for it. Wife, kids and I have lived here for going on 9 years and we love it. It still sorta has a small town feel but is also conveniently located. There are a TON of children in Grimes as a lot of younger families are moving here. There's also a good mix of established homes if you're not wanting/able to buy new.

I don't doubt your love for Grimes, but how do you make the argument it is "conveniently located"? Are you comparing that to living in Boone? To me, location comparatively speaking would be most people's knock on it. it is a haul to downtown. You have to rely on the highway 141 to get anywhere in the metro and back, you pretty much have to eventually jump on the Interstate to get anywhere in the metro (regardless of traffic/accident conditions, etc.). I imagine you spend a lot more time and money on transportation than people living in Des Moines or any of the suburbs that are contiguous to Des Moines.

Again...not knocking Grimes in general, just don't completely understand the location advantage over almost any other suburb.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
We bought a house last year and although we originally wanted to be on the northwest side (Urbandale/West Des Moines) we just couldn't find anything we wanted in our price range that we liked. We were looking for something just over $200k. When we opened up our search throughout the metro we ended up down on the south side below easter lake just south of army post road, right on the edge of town. Ended up with almost twice the house that we could have gotten on the northwest side for the same price. Beautiful, quite neighborhood with great neighbors. Built around 2000. We don't have kids so schools weren't an issue for us. With the bypass we can still get just about anywhere in 20 mins.

• Informative

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
There is certainly an odd mix of people out in the new build areas of urbanclivekee. There’s the white collars that have good jobs and you know they legit have some wealth, some probably hereditary...look for the Teslas, Audi’s, and maybe a pimp mini-van for the lady if the house if they have kids ...then there are also a lot of the jacked up trucks, boat, ATV, New Harley guys that own their own landscape, construction, whatever business (or daddy does) putting in 7 day weeks and taking advantage of the economy/boom out there. No retirement plans, pay cash for a lot of stuff, probably not much real wealth and smooshing their personal and business finances together.

• Informative
Reactions: SoapyCy

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I don't doubt your love for Grimes, but how do you make the argument it is "conveniently located"? Are you comparing that to living in Boone? To me, location comparatively speaking would be most people's knock on it. it is a haul to downtown. You have to rely on the highway 141 to get anywhere in the metro and back, you pretty much have to eventually jump on the Interstate to get anywhere in the metro (regardless of traffic/accident conditions, etc.). I imagine you spend a lot more time and money on transportation than people living in Des Moines or any of the suburbs that are contiguous to Des Moines.

Again...not knocking Grimes in general, just don't completely understand the location advantage over almost any other suburb.

I cant speak for anybody in Grimes, but if you work on the west side of Des Moines it would be an easy commute, not everybody works downtown.

Reactions: cyfan21

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Just looking around Zillow a little and it really does look like the market is way up. Lived in the Valley Junction area and that was fairly nice, not great for young kids as it was mostly older people, but not bad. Older neighborhood and just looking around there is very little for sale and the prices are really high. $150,000 for some small older houses is a little steep.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I've noticed this as well. The only people we hang out with where we live are others not from the town.

When I say suburb I am talking more about the pattern of development than the actual municipality. For example, I would consider the area around Easter Lake in DSM propoer to be more suburban than the area in WDM around Valley Junction.

Definitely the biggest problem with small towns. Even these communities up to 30,000 people. The locals have been there many generations and end up related. If you are not from there then they really don't want to interact. They don't even travel to nearby towns, ever. Kinda weird.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Just looking around Zillow a little and it really does look like the market is way up. Lived in the Valley Junction area and that was fairly nice, not great for young kids as it was mostly older people, but not bad. Older neighborhood and just looking around there is very little for sale and the prices are really high. $150,000 for some small older houses is a little steep.

Its definitely a sellers market right now in Des Moines. Expect to get into a bidding war and pay more than the asking price for alot of areas in Polk County right now. We just got our new assessment in the mail this week and its $10,000 more than last year, I saw a news story that it was pretty standard for this years new assessed property values.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
This is a serious question that I hope will get some serious answers.

How do people actually afford the new houses in Waukee/West Des Moines/etc unless they make a $200k+ as a household. Then have a large SUV, boat, etc? We went to DSM last weekend just to look at houses for fun and all the new one were $380k +

I know the answer is "They make more than you make" or "They have lots of debt" but those aren't really helpful answers. Sometimes it baffles me how many wealthy people there are in Des Moines. We make 2.3x the average Iowa household income (no student loans but 2 kids in daycare) and we feel like we'd have to move to a house under $200k to have any sort of life.

We love the South of Grand/Waveland neighborhoods in DSM but my wife wants that character with a new house. To get a newer house with that character we'd be stuck out in the far-flung suburbs. The area west of Jordan Creek was weird - it seemed very random.

I guess this is all to say that coming from a smaller town we can be involved in lots of community projects and I fear if we lived in a tract house in Waukee/Grimes there really wouldn't be the same type of community feel. Does that make sense?

We do Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring, fundraising for the several local non-profits, wife is in a position of community leadership for a non-profit etc. I fear in a brand new suburb none of that would exist because everyone is wealthy and "from somewhere else".

/word vomit

I think you're overestimating the number of people that have all of those luxury items in these neighborhoods. There are a ton of new spec homes in the lower 200's available and people are flocking to them.

Having the two kids in daycare is the real killer in your scenario, especially if they not of school age yet. You're looking at another 1500-2000 a month in free money without it. I know if we had two kids in full time daycare, my wife would not be working.

That being said, there are plenty of good neighborhoods in the suburbs with houses in the 180-250kish range. We've been more than satisfied with ours and there are plenty of kids in the neighborhood and friendly people to hang out with. It was built in 95 and all the major items that were wearing out were replaced before we bought it. I think you need to keep exploring other neighborhoods. The build quality and attention detail is also far superior to the spec homes we were looking at. There are a lot of pockets in these suburbs that you really have to know are there to be able to search them out.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I cant speak for anybody in Grimes, but if you work on the west side of Des Moines it would be an easy commute, not everybody works downtown.

To clarify, I wasn't assuming they commuted to work downtown....just that proximity (if it matters) might be a factor. That said, you are still a slave to the same few choices for roads to take if you are commuting out west, so you are subject to whatever traffic snarls might occur on your way...i.e...you don't really leave yourself any other options. Again, this might not matter to some, but you don't have to put yourself in that position if it means something to you not to. There are plenty of options in the metro hat are more flexible.

Yes, if they end up working out west, this might not be a bad option. I was questioning the blanket statement that location was a selling factor for Grimes for the average person evaluating where to live in the metro. I would argue it is not. It is on the very edge so depending on interests, jobs, etc. location would be far from a lot of things that you might prefer being closer to.

Last edited:

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I'm in Waukee. Wanna buy my house?

Culvers is almost finished. B-Bops, too. IMAX anyone? Great for kids.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Think about the people in your life that are dual income. Now think about where they work in the metro. Also think about how many times they've changed job locations. In the 14 years of living at this same location, I've worked at the same company but 6 different building in 3 different parts of town. My wife has worked at two different companies in 4 different towns/locations. Plus I work 2 days a week from home. I wouldn't buy a house based on the commute, especially since the commute from anywhere in the metro is fast/easy.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Think about the people in your life that are dual income. Now think about where they work in the metro. Also think about how many times they've changed job locations. In the 14 years of living at this same location, I've worked at the same company but 6 different building in 3 different parts of town. My wife has worked at two different companies in 4 different towns/locations. Plus I work 2 days a week from home. I wouldn't buy a house based on the commute, especially since the commute from anywhere in the metro is fast/easy.

This is very true, our first house in Urbandale was a mile from my job and 4 miles from my wife's. Then my office moved downtown, she got a job in West Des Moines. Then I got a job on the southside and she got a job in Ames. Thus we ended up in Johnston, but spend our days about 60 miles from each other.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Anyone here live in Polk City? It is still small but really growing. Just wondering if you think it will always have that smaller town feel? I've been interested in it just due to proximity to the lake, TCI, smaller school district. Close enough to Ankeny for any big box store needs. Close enough to downtown DSM if you work there or head there for dinner/entertainment.

I guess my question also applies to Adel? Seems like their growth was too much too quick? How about Van Meter?

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I am convinced that my debt tolerance is much less than most. I have similar thoughts to mtowncyclone13 on the regular. The topic comes up frequently at my house (usually my doing) and we always talk about how much we value the financial comfort we have in place of pushing our limits. I also look forward to the day when I can say I have no mortgage payment, while those hearing me say that think about the 15-20 years they have left.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Anyone here live in Polk City? It is still small but really growing. Just wondering if you think it will always have that smaller town feel? I've been interested in it just due to proximity to the lake, TCI, smaller school district. Close enough to Ankeny for any big box store needs. Close enough to downtown DSM if you work there or head there for dinner/entertainment.

I guess my question also applies to Adel? Seems like their growth was too much too quick? How about Van Meter?

If you are into fishing or boating Polk City would be a paradise. You have Big Creek, Saylorville, and their respective spillways within a short drive.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014

if you consider that filthy bathtub known as Saylorville Lake a lake, don't. It's absolutely disgusting in every way imaginable.

The rest of the town is wonderful. People, businesses, schools, golf course...but the lake...JFC, it should have a giant urinal cake thrown in it.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

I would never tell anyone not to consider commute or for sure to consider it. People have different priorities. It means a lot to me as well as my wife (although as long as Target, Kohls, and Starbucks are a stone's throw away, she could adapt to anywhere). The problem only arises when it is not considered for those that place a higher value on it in the end. They are unnecessary unhappy about something that in a lot of instances is controllable...i'f they'd made it a priority.

FWIW....my wife and i have been at our same companies for 25 and 23 yrs. Both downtown so I wouldn't' assume everyone will be jumping around like you did. I've also ignored considering jumping ship for this reason as well. I really appreciate working downtown (some don't ), so I've had some intentionality in my career choices there too.

Bottomline: know yourself and what is most important to YOU. Don't just go with the flow only to find out later that you wished you'd made X or Y a priority before settling on neighborhood or home.

Last edited:
  • Agree