Hoiberg to Huskers

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
If there is one thing I've learned from reading this thread, it is that the well of paranoia, pettiness, and insecurity runs deep among the Cyclone faithful, at least the vocal minority of those who post on Cyclonefanatic.com.

Being that you've been a member since 2006 I'm going to go ahead and assume you already knew all of that.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Why is our local media so obsessed with this?

Because the viewers or readers are so obsessed with it. If there wasn't a market for it they wouldn't cover it. If you Fred lovers stop talking about him, it will magically go away. And next time someone in the media tweets about Fred, don't respond.

(When I say "You Fred lovers" not talking about the person I replied to)

• Creative
Reactions: State43

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
If he ever needed confirmation he’s in the right place, this thread is all he would need. JFC people, was he supposed to never work again?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
If he ever needed confirmation he’s in the right place, this thread is all he would need. JFC people, was he supposed to never work again?

When this thread hits 10k posts next basketball season I'll be curious to see how many posts are this exact same message.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
What was the previous megathread record, big 12 implosion?

cat named georges

Apr 16, 2017
How about Fred just donates a couple million to the new fancy light Hilton remodel and the new Ames high gym and we call it good? Legend status renewed.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Sorry for the length in advance.

In a vacuum I could hope that Fred does well at his new gig, but that isn't how it works. My biggest complaint is that we were finally getting out of his shadow and now we are seemingly back it in. That isn't Fred's fault but it is where we are at. Frankly I think it's a weird thing that so many people (local media) think ISU fans should be supportive of him. I actually appreciated Ross's take on Fanatics today stating that if he didn't have a radio show, he'd be the guy calling in to vent about it.

I don't doubt that Fred loves ISU, but he got exactly what he wanted out of us too. Just when it seemed like ISU was becoming a top 15 borderline top 10 program there was a foot out of the door. I get it the dream job was to be an NBA coach and dreams can change once you realize them, but it appears it was abandoned quickly. The easiest route for Fred to get there seemed to have been to go through ISU. If Fred wanted the job before McDermott got it, he didn't do much during that era to build the coaching resume. ISU's later desperation got Fred his shot. It didn't take long to parlay that into his dream gig.

He got run from that gig. Taking the cyclone colored glasses off for Fred, it appears that he doesn't have the reputation to name his next job. He could have sat back on his 5 mil he's guaranteed for next year to wait another 2 months to try for another NBA job (abandoning the dream quickly), but I think that he got feedback that NBA teams weren't interested as his name started being floated for college gigs immediately. Hell, ISU even did him a solid and gave him a platform to get ESPN screen time during our Baylor game. The way Hoiberg's name was leaked for Nebraska while they were still playing makes it seem like it was intentional to pressure some of the better college jobs out to make a move for Fred.

Once again, sorry for the length. I feel it's true that Fred loves ISU but at the same time got plenty out of us and fans don't owe anything to Fred, let alone a need to hope he does well at a rival. He could have done more than well here. I love that Prohm is our guy and look forward to Prohm and company out working Fred for the recruits we want.

Last edited:

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Because the viewers or readers are so obsessed with it. If there wasn't a market for it they wouldn't cover it. If you Fred lovers stop talking about him, it will magically go away. And next time someone in the media tweets about Fred, don't respond.

(When I say "You Fred lovers" not talking about the person I replied to)

This is what I don’t like, so it’s bad to like Fred now? Last I checked his jersey is in the rafters. If Jeff Horacek ever coaches another college team I can’t like horny? Do I have to not like jake Sullivan’s Aau team? What about Johnny majors, am I not allowed to like him now?

Get over it, Fred’s a stud. Liking Fred doesn’t mean you hate isu or hate prohm, this idea that Fred somehow is the bad guy is rediculous. Makes me sick to see people turn on one of our own. Can’t wait till I have to hate Monte Morris and George’s niang because of some perceived slight to be an true isu fan.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What was the previous megathread record, big 12 implosion?

Yeah, i dont know that most of those threads exist anymore, but i know there was more than one megathread and they were closing them down once they got over around 20,000 replies (about 1,000 pages) each because the larger they got the more they lagged down the board, as i recall.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
This is what I don’t like, so it’s bad to like Fred now? Last I checked his jersey is in the rafters. If Jeff Horacek ever coaches another college team I can’t like horny? Do I have to not like jake Sullivan’s Aau team? What about Johnny majors, am I not allowed to like him now?

Get over it, Fred’s a stud. Liking Fred doesn’t mean you hate isu or hate prohm, this idea that Fred somehow is the bad guy is rediculous. Makes me sick to see people turn on one of our own. Can’t wait till I have to hate Monte Morris and George’s niang because of some perceived slight to be an true isu fan.

It's good to like Fred Hoiberg, former ISU player and coach. It's bad to like the coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Anyone on this site would have agreed with this statement a year ago, before this whole situation. The problem is that now the two are the same. How you feel about Hoiberg now probably depends on how much you like him personally and how much you dislike Nebraska. For me, I was too young to follow sports closely during his playing days, so I never had the huge love for him that others do.

In terms of his press conference comments I think people need to realize it's not a black and white thing. Yes, he can't say "UNL basketball fans are pretty mediocre." However, he also has no requirement to say that they are "second to none", essentially saying they are as good or better than ISU fans. This is a problem for a guy who has in the past claimed that he would always be an ISU fan regardless of his job. All he had to do was say "UNL has a great fan base and I'm excited to take the program to new levels." It's wording choices and his actions that show he has moved on or was never as passionate about ISU as we the fans are. There's nothing wrong with that except that he has always been portrayed as someone who is just as dedicated to ISU as we are.

In short, Hoiberg is not a bad guy, but he's moved himself down in the ISU pantheon to a level similar to a guy like Hornacek or Sullivan. Successful former player to be proud of, but not a beloved figure like Johnny Orr or Seneca Wallace. It takes dedication to the university above and beyond what is normal to get to that to level.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
Sorry for the length in advance.

In a vacuum I could hope that Fred does well at his new gig, but that isn't how it works. My biggest complaint is that we were finally getting out of his shadow and now we are seemingly back it in. That isn't Fred's fault but it is where we are at. Frankly I think it's a weird thing that so many people (local media) think ISU fans should be supportive of him. I actually appreciated Ross's take on Fanatics today stating that if he didn't have a radio show, he'd be the guy calling in to vent about it.

I don't doubt that Fred loves ISU, but he got exactly what he wanted out of us too. Just when it seemed like ISU was becoming a top 15 borderline top 10 program there was a foot out of the door. I get it the dream job was to be an NBA coach and dreams can change once you realize them, but it appears it was abandoned quickly. The easiest route for Fred to get there seemed to have been to go through ISU. If Fred wanted the job before McDermott got it, he didn't do much during that era to build the coaching resume. ISU's later desperation got Fred his shot. It didn't take long to parlay that into his dream gig.

He got run from that gig. Taking the cyclone colored glasses off for Fred, it appears that he doesn't have the reputation to name his next job. He could have sat back on his 5 mil he's guaranteed for next year to wait another 2 months to try for another NBA job (abandoning the dream quickly), but I think that he got feedback that NBA teams weren't interested as his name started being floated for college gigs immediately. Hell, ISU even did him a solid and gave him a platform to get ESPN screen time during our Baylor game. The way Hoiberg's name was leaked for Nebraska while they were still playing makes it seem like it was intentional to pressure some of the better college jobs out to make a move for Fred.

Once again, sorry for the length. I feel it's true that Fred loves ISU but at the same time got plenty out of us and fans don't owe anything to Fred, let alone a need to hope he does well at a rival. He could have done more than well here. I love that Prohm is our guy and look forward to Prohm and company out working Fred for the recruits we want.
I never apologize for my length

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
Isn't Lincoln just a giant trailer park? Or is that just my imagination?
A lot of my family live in Lincoln and are insufferable Husker fans so I feel the need to chime in.

Lincoln is a large suburban community with UNL and the capital being their downtown
It is not trailer parks (though I suppose there are some of those just like in every town). It actually has very nice homes and McMansions that are pretty affordable compared to DSM. Sprinkle in the occasional hospital/clinic, nursing home, and Runza you got Lincoln. Also it seems like there is a mega church on every street corner.

Other than that there isn’t much else.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
It’s his personal twitter feed.

Why in God’s name are some of you watching the presser?
It’s 7:30 am and I am loving all the Fred hate this morning. The lady where I often get breakfast said she hopes the traitor never wins a game. The lady co-host on the radio said she is done with the traitor for taking a job out west in a town named after a coin that most people throw away.
So glad to know that I am not the only one being small and petty about this, since I feel just like they do. Affirmation, a great way to start the day!

• Funny
Reactions: jsb