Thoughts on Runzas

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So you're saying that all I have are fond memories of the greatest fast food ever devised?

Tell me where I can find that Czech grandma.

Duncan, Iowa. The town is Czech/bohemian heaven.

Their family trees are more like this.

upload_2019-4-2_7-14-16.jpeg

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was thinking more of texas style kolaches. Yes they are danish in origin, but the Texans do it differently. They are all over Houston and they are great.

Former ISU player opened a texas style kolaches place in WDM, everybody here should check it out sometime.

I will it admit it’s more the Czech/bohemian people than anything. Biggest pains in the butt where I live. You aren’t local if you are not one of them since one showed up around 1880. I confuse them when I say my ancestors arrived pre civil war about 20 miles away. They then pretend I don’t exist.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
You mean mini danishes? I’m not a fan of kolaches or any Czech food. Maybe I’m just not a fan of Czechs.
I would say they are not Danish. As the dough is raised yeast (bread) rather than flaky. I love the real thing and never tire of them especially the Apricot and Poppy Seed filled.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Getting one Tuesday. Should I go to Runza today or tomorrow?

Doctor told me either Miralax or a Runza. I stuck with the Miralax. Runzas even smell awful about made me puke. I guess I didn't need it coming out of both ends, so hence the Miralax.

They don't call it a "loose" meat sandwich for nothing!!

stinkbaitcatfish

Aug 13, 2018
Huntington Beach , CA
You mean mini danishes? I’m not a fan of kolaches or any Czech food. Maybe I’m just not a fan of Czechs.
tenor.gif

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Not the same. Hot Pockets don't contain cabbage. Can I go to a Pierogi place?
Here in Wisconsin the beloved Cabbage Roll (with hamburger) is a winter staple. Egg Rolls are filled with cabbage and can be made with hamburger (not my fave). So, the Cabbage thing is not that big of a deal.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Here in Wisconsin the beloved Cabbage Roll (with hamburger) is a winter staple. Egg Rolls are filled with cabbage and can be made with hamburger (not my fave). So, the Cabbage thing is not that big of a deal.
But if you don't have cabbage, I don't think it's truly a Runza. Are there any cabbage filled hot pockets? Egg rolls with hamburger just seem wrong.