Down 1, shoot a 3. Why does this continue to happen?

D

Deleted member 8507

Well, if your last name is Herro you have no choice but to play that kind of ball.

• Funny
Reactions: 2020cy

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Seems so rare to actually run something. Mostly it's give it to your best player and let him make something happen. Most of the time they take the shot that's given to them.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Especially considering Culver hasn't made anything from the outside tonight. That's a good shot if its Morretti, Francis or Mooney. Not Culver.
Culver looks like Talley trying to shoot threes. If he learns to shoot he will be unstoppable. Luckily for us, he will be learning to shoot in the NBA.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It could be defense. I doubt it’s someone who wants to be a hero. Players panic s bit.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He had De'Andre Hunter on him, who is probably one of, if not the, best on ball defenders in America. He had gotten very little going to the rim. So while it sounds nice to say "just go around him" it doesn't work out quite that easily.

• Winner
Reactions: Doc

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
That was a classic foul or defend situation and it came back to bite TT.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Chicks love the 3 ball.

(....my God, what did I just say?)
This is a huge pet peeve of mine, shooting the three when you don't need it - I think it's the sexiness of the three, when getting to the lane/hoop would be much more successful. It runs rampant in college.

Look at the last several possessions, Culver had success by getting into the lane, even with Hunter on him (btw, how did Hunter learn to shoot in one day?!). You also might get fouled doing that. I believe he went, left, Guy came up to double, but if Culver would have juked, I think he could have flown by Guy and had a free path down to the lane or a shorter pull-up. Can't stand the willingness to take the three in that situation.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Tech's vaunted defense collapsing to defend the paint when they were up 3 at the end of the game made me more upset than the 3 point heave when they were down 1.

Forget coaching, how does every player individually and instinctively not know to just swarm the 3 point line and play matador defense if a guy tries to drive past it?

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
My biggest irritation was the lack of any play by tech in regulation. 2 full timeouts to draw up something and the best they could think of was a baseline fade away with a guy in his face.

No curls or screens or even a lob towards the hoop.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My biggest irritation was the lack of any play by tech in regulation. 2 full timeouts to draw up something and the best they could think of was a baseline fade away with a guy in his face.

No curls or screens or even a lob towards the hoop.

I hesitated all year to say they had a good offense. They have some good shooters and a great offensive player but they never really had a great offense.

That's not to say they weren't a great team and if we replayed the conference again there's a likely chance they win it outright as opposed to sharing.