Lard Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I loved the energy Lard brought and the way he played. I wish him the best for the future, and am glad he chose to start his college experience here. He has so much potential and I hope that he lives up to that potential some day.

Now this is your opinion. Everyone enjoys seeing the ball swatted into the seats, but Jacobson's defense and Lard's were completely different styles. Jacobson since he isn't as athletic tries more to deny entry passes, and for the most part it worked (which is why offenses got less shots against him generally), but this also put him in a difficult position if his man did get the ball and a difficult position to block out for a rebound. Lard relied on athletic abilities to get by and was better at contesting shots, but was constantly out of position when over committing on help defense or out of a pick and roll.

I am of the opinion that it is better to deny the high percentage shot in the first place than try to block it. As for the OSU game Cam did have a good game and his athleticism and strength is why. Wesson is a beast and Jacobson was getting man handled, and the refs pretty much swallowed their whistles which all points to Lard having a better game.
Excellent point about the refs. How the refs call a game dictates who will be the better player in a matchup. Lard couldn't guard without fouling unless the refs weren't going to call fouls on anyone. If given free reign, they yeah, Lard would be the better choice.

Lard would be great in Huggins system at West Virginia.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hey, @GTO, what's to become of this!

cam-doom-gif.52884

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Per 40 stats:
Lard: 17.9 pts. 8.8 reb, 3.9 blocks, 10.2 fouls
Jacobsen: 17.8 pts, 9.5 reb, 0.7 blocks, 3.1 fouls.

I haven't seen a KU guy be more of a foul magnet as Dok his freshman season and even he only averaged 8.6 fouls per 40 that year. The last time KU had a player play at least 100 minutes and average more than 10 fouls per 40 was 2005. I went back to 2001 for ISU and it has never been done in that time (Rainey came close at 9.9 fouls per 40 in 2011).

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Per 40 stats:

I haven't seen a KU guy be more of a foul magnet as Dok his freshman season and even he only averaged 8.6 fouls per 40 that year. The last time KU had a player play at least 100 minutes and average more than 10 fouls per 40 was 2005. I went back to 2001 for ISU and it has never been done in that time (Rainey came close at 9.9 fouls per 40 in 2011).
Shocking that a KU player wouldn’t average a high foul rate. Shocking.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Per 40 stats:

If Lard played for Kansas he would have averaged the least amount of fouls on the team.

Alot of his fouls were complete b.s anyways, never seen a guy get picked on by the refs that much, Kansas fans wouldnt know anything about that right?

• Agree
Reactions: ComCY

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Iowa State routinely gets less fouls called against them than any other team in the Big 12 and usually has the largeat home/ road gap in fouls called against them so maybe not the best to make claims about favorable whistles.
Total fouls? Lol, I bet you’re a per game stat kind of guy.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Shocking that a KU player wouldn’t average a high foul rate. Shocking.
We had plenty that came close. KU gets called for more fouls than Iowa State on the season every year, which I am fine with. If you aren't fouling an average amount then you probably aren't playing much defense.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I don't smoke weed, never have never will, if people want to use something thats already legal in some states though I have no problem with it. Alcohol and prescription drugs cause alot more problems but nobody seems to care about that.
I'll bet if you ask anyone under 70 years old anymore they would say they are ok with someone smoking weed as opposed to being hooked on oxy or hydro.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
This is harsh, and I've seen the usual suspects are offended by your post but its completely the truth. Chemistry issues arise when guys have to sit on the bench and watch players they are better than make mistake after mistake with no chance of being held accountable.

CSP is gravitating towards the Ferentz method of not putting the best talent on the floor and not giving his team the best chance to win. He would rather play someone because "they are a good kid" , "they try really hard in practice", or they "know the playbook better".

There's no way you can convince me Jacobson made mistake after mistake compared to Lard. Jacobson is not as good of defender as Lard when Lard is locked in but no way does he make more mistakes in terms of positioning and anticipation.

It's hard to know whether Prohm would have been better off starting Lard. You are right that chemistry issues happen when your best players are not playing but it's also a chemistry problem when your most talented players aren't as prepared for games and make more mistakes. The question will be whether this was a Lard problem or a more global problem for Prohm. Next year will be very telling.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I didn't downvote any of his posts and was asking him questions. I guess I should have flew off the handle and told him to GFY.
1976 is following you around like you are the pied piper.

• Funny
Reactions: IASTATE07

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
There's no way you can convince me Jacobson made mistake after mistake compared to Lard. Jacobson is not as good of defender as Lard when Lard is locked in but no way does he make more mistakes in terms of positioning and anticipation.

It's hard to know whether Prohm would have been better off starting Lard. You are right that chemistry issues happen when your best players are not playing but it's also a chemistry problem when your most talented players aren't as prepared for games and make more mistakes. The question will be whether this was a Lard problem or a more global problem for Prohm. Next year will be very telling.

My comments were more directed toward the Wigginton situation than Lard. Im not fully convinced Lard deserved to start this year over Jacobson, but I think he could have been utilized a little more than 12 minutes a game. There were 40 mpg to be distributed at his position and alot more if Prohm would have ever played 2 bigs together.

• Agree
Reactions: hoosman

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Oh yeah, this is 100% true. Prohm wants to lose, for sure.

moron.

Sadly, the fan you replied to may really believe that.

Every single time i read one of his posts a part of my degree on the wall disintegrates into the frame.

• Funny
Reactions: ZB4CY

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Why do people think Lard is so good? He had more personal fouls this season (76) than rebounds (66) or field goals (59).Yes, Lard has some raw talent but he noticeably regressed from last season and seems to not be focused when on the floor. I thought Jacobsen appeared to be the more reliable player last year. He is certainly limited physically but he was solid.

Sometimes talented players fail to live up to their physical potential due to mental and behavioral limitations. Lard seems to be one who falls into that category.

So you're just going to ignore his stats as a freshman? I'm not sure I'd call it regression considering the context of his season. He never really had a consistent role, but he still showed what he's capable of in the NCAA Tournament. He was one of three guys that showed up. We think he's "so good" because he's had dominate performances in one of the best conferences in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.