Next year (2020)

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I always forget about Cabanban, but have heard he is very gifted. He can definitely gain from another year in the weight room, but will be a good backup for Mackall, and might even push him for the spot

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Also, I have a solution for our 165 spot: just have Mekhi Lewis transfer in :cool: he was one of the recruits I was really hoping would flip to Iowa State when Dresser took the job. Would’ve looked damn good in cardinal and gold

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Also, I have a solution for our 165 spot: just have Mekhi Lewis transfer in :cool: he was one of the recruits I was really hoping would flip to Iowa State when Dresser took the job. Would’ve looked damn good in cardinal and gold
Pay Frayer a **** ton of money to be our VC and maybe lol.
That kid is an absolute beast

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
I can't imagine us going anywhere but up (knock wood). Miklus is a big loss, but we have 8 returning qualifiers and Degen and Colbray are in weights that are clearing at the top.

125: Bresser is the only AA senior. Mackall will need to take a big leap in wrestling from the bottom.
133: Lizak and Erneste only graduating AAs. As everyone else has noted, Gomez can beat anyone. His late season matches against Erneste and DeSanto showed a need to be more cautious when attempting throws.
141: McKenna the only graduating AA. Parker has also shown he can hang with anyone. Not sure if he lost confidence or what it was at the end of the season. His loss to Willits was particularly surprising. He is a hard worker and will be sniffing AA again next year.
149: Ashnault, Jordan and Finesilver (1, 2 and 4) are all gone. Degen will start the season in the Top 5 (or at least should) and could quite conceivably win it all!
157: 4 AAs graduate, including Nolf, and Carr's potential is limitless.
165: Marsteller is the only Senior AA.
174: Daniel Lewis the sole Sr AA. Coleman's got his work cut out for him.
184: 6 AAs graduating and 1 other (Geer) Colbray just beat. Dean, Bonaccorsi, Reenan and Venz return, and Colbray (like Degen) should start the season top 5 with a chance to win it all.
197: 4 graduating AAs. What's the expected pecking order for us next year? Anyone other than Shapiro? Sherry?
285: 4 graduating AAs. Gremmel will only get better. Like Gomez, needs to work on avoiding the big moves. How does Duggan compare?

Can't wait for next year!

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
One thing that we can take form Mekhi Lewis winning is that we know Dresser can recruit damn well and that he can bring National Champions to Iowa State, and I truly believe we have some National Champs in the room right now and a few more coming.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
This year was amazing. The team exceeded expectations in every way possible. The coaches really have this program on the rise. So, is it too early to speculate about next year?

125: Mackall is back. He’s a tough wrestler. A borderline top 20 guy. Not sure if he can make the improvements to be a big point scorer at nationals. Reeves is coming in and it will be interesting to see where he is at relative to Mackall.

Borderline top 20??? Mackall literally made the round of 16 at the National Tournament. So closer to a top 15 guy. Oh and placed 3rd at Big 12 tourney that had 6 national qualifiers come from his weight class.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Mackall has 12 losses this year including 5 to guys outside of the top 20. He has one win all year over a guy in the top 20. To me, that doesn’t cancel out all the losses to the guys outside of it.

Edit: 6 outside the top 20 if you count NC State’s redshirt.

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Mackall will be fine. He needs to put a little weight/muscle on. I heard he is a small 125 pounder. Not sure what his walk around weight is, but think probably in low 130's

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Can Straw find a place in the line up at 65? Towards the end of the year I found myself rooting damn hard for that guy. Be a shame if he didn't see the mat again.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Going in to this year I expected 2 AAs and a top 15 finish. Which we just about hit. For next season, baring any transfer news, I'm thinking 3 AAs and a top twelve finish. Which would put us back to where we were in the 2014/15 and 2015/16 seasons. I think we'll be really salty as a dual team next year, Carr will replace Miklus's points (and hopefully add to them), and Degen and Colbray will both be favored to AA along with him (depending on who moves up from 141 and 174 since both of those will be stacked). Gomez and Parker both are going to be in stacked weight classes so if they can AA that'll be a nice bonus and sign of improvement. But they should provide supporting points in Minneapolis.

Baring an upgrade 125, 174, and HWT will still be guys that are good for duals but aren't gonna score a lot of NCAA points. 165 will be a weaker weight and I'm assuming it'll be Straw manning it unless he decides to stay at 157 and back up Carr. 197 is a question mark. Shapiro had a good redshirt season but not an elite one. So we'll have to see how he improves in year two.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Mackall has 12 losses this year including 5 to guys outside of the top 20. He has one win all year over a guy in the top 20. To me, that doesn’t cancel out all the losses to the guys outside of it.

Edit: 6 outside the top 20 if you count NC State’s redshirt.

So since Chip Ness has 15 loess this year (ncaa 6th) & 12 losses last year (ncaa 7th) does that mean he’s not a 2x All American caliber kid??? No because he was literally a 2x All American.

People don’t give Mackall enough credit. Kid had 27 season wins for us. Placed 3rd at Big 12s. And had 3 wins at NCAAs making round of 16 = (top 13-16 in nation). Hell even the coaches voted him at #19 seed.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
So since Chip Ness has 15 loess this year (ncaa 6th) & 12 losses last year (ncaa 7th) does that mean he’s not a 2x All American caliber kid??? No because he was literally a 2x All American.

People don’t give Mackall enough credit. Kid had 27 season wins for us. Placed 3rd at Big 12s. And had 3 wins at NCAAs making round of 16 = (top 13-16 in nation). Hell even the coaches voted him at #19 seed.

If he gets a little bigger, I think he will make another jump. His motor is great!

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016

#19 is about where I’d put him. Isn’t that the very definition of borderline top 20?

DCR

Jun 11, 2010
I can't imagine us going anywhere but up (knock wood). Miklus is a big loss, but we have 8 returning qualifiers and Degen and Colbray are in weights that are clearing at the top.

133: Lizak and Erneste only graduating AAs. As everyone else has noted, Gomez can beat anyone. His late season matches against Erneste and DeSanto showed a need to be more cautious when attempting throws.

133: Seth Gross should be back as well next year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron