Coach Prohm Gets Extension

Cyclone560

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2017
Depends what the expectations are. Is just making the tournament enough? We should aspire to accomplish more than that.

Georges' senior year we should could/should have done better than Sweet Sixteen. Monte's senior year we could/should have done better than 2nd round exit. Those two teams were LOADED. Last year sucked. This year we were a great weekend in KC away from being pretty disappointed overall.

I'm glad we kept Prohm because the continuity is nice and I'd rather than him than TJ Otzelberger but we definitely have room for improvement going forward.

I generally thinking making the tournament as a good seed is enough. Not many programs make the tournament consistently. Before last season getting left out we had one of the top10 (i think) active NCAA tournament streaks in the country, its hard to make it consistently let alone as a seed that will be favored in round one.

I also think if you do that consistently enough, the wins will happen. It's such a small sample size and such small margins that tournament narratives change quickly. Villanova and Jay Wright went from chokers who blew great seeds early to 2 time national champs and nobody questions them in the tournament anymore (even when they get blown out in the second round...). I feel like Kansas has had similar stretches of tournament disappointment a couple years in a row too. I just think its a small sample to say we consistently underperform / all it takes is one game to overperform and suddenly everyone is happy.

I'm all for high expectations, but I also think sometimes we lose sight of just how difficult some of these things are and just how close we have been to having a completely different story and thought about results.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Depends what the expectations are. Is just making the tournament enough? We should aspire to accomplish more than that.

Georges' senior year we should could/should have done better than Sweet Sixteen. Monte's senior year we could/should have done better than 2nd round exit. Those two teams were LOADED. Last year sucked. This year we were a great weekend in KC away from being pretty disappointed overall.

I'm glad we kept Prohm because the continuity is nice and I'd rather than him than TJ Otzelberger but we definitely have room for improvement going forward.

Georges' senior year qe could have done better, but losing Naz left the team with 7 players. And Cooke barley even counts. How many only play 6 guys??

I'll give that Monte senior year should have beat Purdue, but they had ZERO inside game outside of Young. Went all in on Malou and he never showed up.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Ah yes the “I have stupid opinions leave me alone guys” defense. Stop crying.

Yeah you're right, Prohm is nice to the media so he is untouchable. Thinking that he is an inferior x's and o's guy is a terrible opinion. Now what, am I an idiot or should i give up my season tickets?

• Creative
Reactions: RRRunotEntertained

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Thanks Jamie Pollard for giving our basketball coach aka Coach Steve Prohm a contract extension...I for one, think that it is warranted for bringing home the hardware from Kansas City and beating the Jayhawks in a city that they own ....and remember GO Cyclones

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah you're right, Prohm is nice to the media so he is untouchable. Thinking that he is an inferior x's and o's guy is a terrible opinion. Now what, am I an idiot or should i give up my season tickets?

Also must be a real trickster to get a Big 12 job, win multiple championships and make multiple NCAA tournaments all as an “inferior X’s and O’s guy”. We should probably take a look at Pollard and his advisors right? Why are they hiring this hack and now extending this hack? Does Prohm even have any coaching DVDs on Walmart.com?

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Also must be a real trickster to get a Big 12 job, win multiple championships and make multiple NCAA tournaments all as an “inferior X’s and O’s guy”. We should probably take a look at Pollard and his advisors right? Why are they hiring this hack and now extending this hack? Does Prohm even have any coaching DVDs on Walmart.com?

This is an example of rambling nonsense. But I’m the idiot right?

Reactions: clone1990

Aug 26, 2014
What a weird poster.

What would be the point of Jacobson and Lard going through the draft process?
I gave reasons why I didn't think Jacobson should go through the process. I made valid points, not just mock someone's opinion which seems to be your jam I guess.
Lard has potential. I don't really see him as a next level player, but he was fantastic our last game so I guess I can see someone making the argument. Not one I would probably make myself, but I can somewhat see the point at least.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Everything I would say has been summed up already by posters. Great recruiter, great representative for our university, but still needs some work on in-game coaching.

CSP seems like a humble guy, and as mentioned before, I am sure he would own his shortcomings as a coach. I am proud to have men like Coach Prohm and Campbell representing ISU.

My hope is that in 5 years we can look back and realize that some of us could have trusted the process a little more, while others were willing to give them the room and time to improve upon their craft. There is no such thing as a perfect coach, student, athlete, or anything for that matter. But given time and effort, everyone can grow and become better versions of themselves.

Reactions: SpokaneCY

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Glad JP is transparent about it! Not like Barta's dirty little deal he tried to hide. Great to keep CSP in the fold for a few more years!!

Reactions: aauummm

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
2 big 12 tourney titles
NCAA tournament 3of 4 years
1 sweet 16

Yeah not very good (heavy sarcasm)

Yeah but he inherited this loaded team so he shouldn't get credit for it

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I guess I struggle to see what he's done to warrant an extension. By no means am I suggesting he should be fired, or even on the hot seat, but an extension based on his body of work is not justified in my opinion.
I'm guessing recruiting is the biggest reason. Hard to recruit when your contract is effectively done in 2 years and rumors of him leaving for his alma mater.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I gave reasons why I didn't think Jacobson should go through the process. I made a valid points, not just mock someone's opinion which seems to be your jam I guess.
Lard has potential. I don't really see him as a next level player, but he was fantastic our last game so I guess I can see someone making the argument. Not one I would probably make myself, but I can somewhat see the point at least.

You don't seem to be enjoying the Prohm news when you keep responding to me.

Aug 26, 2014
You don't seem to be enjoying the Prohm news when you keep responding to me.
I'm enjoying it just fine, just pausing to let you know that trying to be an internet bully is not cool. We should all be cheering for the same team, but maybe you are a closet hok fan.

• Funny
Reactions: IASTATE07

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
2 big 12 tourney titles
1 sweet 16

So much this. People don't want ISU to be a stepping stone job, yet aren't willing to get behind a coach with this record. Sure he has room to improve like most coaches do, but it's strange to me that so many seem more convinced that he isn't right for the job.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Prohm has the most wins over top 5 opponents on the road in school history. He has also won two big 12 tournaments and has won in AFH.

Iowa state also has the ninth best adjusted offense according to Kenpom.

Maybe he doesn't draw up a ton of plays that we can notice, but how does someone get a top 10 offense without being a good coach?

Clearly whatever he is doing is working and he is a damn good recruiter. I'm glad he is our coach

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
2 big 12 tourney titles
1 sweet 16

All of that with really unprecedented talent. Monte, George, Matt, Deonte, Naz, Shayok-- I think you could make the claim they are all Top 50 players in program history, with Shayok being tougher having only been here one year. Wigginton, Haliburton and THT could wind up in that same conversation. I think the results given this talent have been somewhat ho-hum.

The Sweet 16 came after wins over Iona and Arkansas Pine Bluff, and we then got completely spanked by UVA. The Big 12 tournaments are great and all, but I think are proving to be a bit of "fools gold". It's clear we value that more than others.

So again, it's not like I'm totally dismissive of his accomplishments. There are things he has done really well and he certainly doesn't deserve to be fired. But me a contract that expired in 2022 is just about right in my mind. 3 years left, with the next few years telling quite a bit about his ability as a coach. Why he needed 3 more years tacked on to that is what I don't get.