2019 Concert Thread

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Man this fest continues to get a worse lineup each year.....
Not sure I agree, I think this lineup is a lot better front to back from last year... Elle King does nothing for me but Portugal the Man, Metric, Liz Phair and Murder by Death? They are trying to copy the swsx/pitchfork model of super indie lineup

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Both haha. I feel like as a 27 year old im a festival going demographic. None of my peers would be excited by her.
I as a 30-something was into her in the 90’s and would recommend for anyone who was into the early Alt-Rock!

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
Both haha. I feel like as a 27 year old im a festival going demographic. None of my peers would be excited by her.

Don’t understand the Liz Pair hate. A festival setting is a good way to expose yourself to music you wouldn’t otherwise pay to see. There are 18 other acts if she doesn’t trip your trigger.

Reactions: Angie and jburke

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Back in November I took my son to his first concert as his 13th bday present. We saw Danzig, Venom and Power Trip. I had always wanted to see Venom but never had the chance before, so this was a great experience for me. But for my son, it was amazing. He is hooked and wants to go to a ton more shows. Last month I took him to see Soulfly and Incite. A couple local bands that I have been friends with for years got to open. Another great show.

But now the floodgates have opened and I am constantly hearing "dad, will you get me tickets to _______?"

Tickets are expensive as hell nowadays, so he's gonna have to pick and choose which shows he really wants to see. I got us tickets to see Slayer in May, which will supposedly be their final tour. Cannibal Corpse and Amon Amarth are touring with them so I'm looking forward to it.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I as a 30-something was into her in the 90’s and would recommend for anyone who was into the early Alt-Rock!

Yeah, Liz Phair is sort of an alt-rock/college rock front runner from early/mid 90s. She has always had more critical acclaim than huge commercial appeal, but she has put out great stuff.

I don’t think the 80/35 lineup is super strong for me - Liz Phair and Metric are who I would most like to see. I am sorta over Portugal. The Man, and very meh to Elle King. A girlfriend wants me to go with her, and I just don’t quite see the lineup interesting me personally enough.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Yeah, Liz Phair is sort of an alt-rock/college rock front runner from early/mid 90s. She has always had more critical acclaim than huge commercial appeal, but she has put out great stuff.

I don’t think the 80/35 lineup is super strong for me - Liz Phair and Metric are who I would most like to see. I am sorta over Portugal. The Man, and very meh to Elle King. A girlfriend wants me to go with her, and I just don’t quite see the lineup interesting me personally enough.
Murder by Death is another one to check if you have not, seems to be in a vein of what you would like. They went extra deep on the Indie Rock side this year, Yungblud, MisterWives, and The Beths are early good listens. I was with you on the new album for Portugal the Man, but their older stuff I always like more than the radio hits

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Murder by Death is another one to check if you have not, seems to be in a vein of what you would like. They went extra deep on the Indie Rock side this year, Yungblud, MisterWives, and The Beths are early good listens. I was with you on the new album for Portugal the Man, but their older stuff I always like more than the radio hits

I've only listened to a bit of Murder by Death; I'll give them some more listens! I've listened only a few plays to Yungblud and MisterWives. I don't want to discount live music in the area for sure - I just want to make sure I'm getting enough enjoyment to justify the $!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I saw the movie listed on Amazon or Netflix. Is it pretty good?

If you liked their music, you probably will think the show is ok. OK is the the limit for this one, no one will think it's good. It's one to watch without the kids with all the nudity and strong sexual content.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
If you liked their music, you probably will think the show is ok. OK is the the limit for this one, no one will think it's good. It's one to watch without the kids with all the nudity and strong sexual content.

I sort of came away from it feeling like most of the things that supposedly happened were kind of pathetic, and they were trying really hard to make them seem like "cool rockstar things".

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I sort of came away from it feeling like most of the things that supposedly happened were kind of pathetic, and they were trying really hard to make them seem like "cool rockstar things".

I understand how you might think that, but I think they just tried to fit too much into the movie. When that happens you lose some of the detail and context that the book provided to the "cool rockstar things" you are talking about.

It feels ridiculous saying this about The Dirt, but the book was way better than the movie.

Reactions: Blackhawk6515

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
A couple new ones...
Turnpike Troubadours and Old 97 at Nitefall on the River in August
Social Distortion and Flogging Molly w/Devil Makes Three at Water Works in Sept

ILikeTurtles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2011
If anyone likes thrash, Power Trip is playing Vaudeville on Thursday night. Gonna be a ripper