Poll: Grade the season

What letter grade do you assign for ISU men's basketball 2018-19?

• A— or better

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • B+

Votes: 24 7.1%
  • B

Votes: 129 38.2%
  • B—

Votes: 94 27.8%
  • C+

Votes: 46 13.6%
  • C

Votes: 26 7.7%
  • C— or below

Votes: 13 3.8%

• Total voters

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
I said B
Would have been an A based solely on preseason expectations.
I cant completely crap on the team for failing to live up to the hype, if they have won a tourney game I'd probably stick with the A.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
B-

Finishing 9-9 in conference is probably the textbook definition of a C grade.

Lost to most of the half way decent teams we played in preseason, though did beat Ole Miss in the SEC/BigXII challenge.

Won the conference tourney so a bonus there.

Losing so many games to subpar teams late, especially the ones at home, really left that sour taste in my mouth towards the end of the Feb/beginning of March. Hilton Magic is now not so potent. I hate that.

Just too much "Highs Too High" and "Lows Too Low" for me emotionally this season.

And the giant turd we laid on Friday seemed like the most awful way to end it. But somehow fitting.

Maybe B- is too high.

Reactions: cyclones500

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
B-. Credit for the run in KC and getting back to the tournament. Points taken away for some really baffling losses in conference play and general inconsistency, along with an early exit from the tournament when the draw was about as favorable as we could ever hope for in terms of travel - first weekend in Tulsa, second weekend in KC, Final Four in Minneapolis. It was a golden opportunity to play in front of a heavily pro-Cyclone crowd deep into the tournament.

I guess my expectations for the team changed after seeing what they were capable of. Knowing that, it feels very much like they left a lot of meat on the bone.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
B-

Finishing 9-9 in conference is probably the textbook definition of a C grade.

Lost to most of the half way decent teams we played in preseason, though did beat Ole Miss in the SEC/BigXII challenge.

Won the conference tourney so a bonus there.

Losing so many games to subpar teams late, especially the ones at home, really left that sour taste in my mouth towards the end of the Feb/beginning of March. Hilton Magic is now not so potent. I hate that.

Just too much "Highs Too High" and "Lows Too Low" for me emotionally this season.

And the giant turd we laid on Friday seemed like the most awful way to end it. But somehow fitting.

Maybe B- is too high.

I think it's right on but I wouldn't quibble if someone felt like it was a C or C+ season. I tried to give a little more weight to the positives - walloping KU, beating K State in Manhattan, the run in KC - than the negatives.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I said A-, which I realize might be a stretch. I guess I'm old enough (36) where my expectations are based more on reality and logic than some.

My expectation was to be competitive throughout the year and make the tournament. Anything beyond that should be considered a goal or wish, not an expectation.

I therefore say we met my expectations and then one of the several goals/wishes I had. While I think we could have done even better, I can't penalize the score based on that.

I did a B but I was grading unusually hard.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
C-

Justification... you couldn’t give that exact performance 4 years in a row and expect to have a degree waiting for you.

The whole exceeded expectations thing is such BS. Most everyone who closely follows the team knew we had a lot better team heading into this year than the ‘experts’ were predicting. Easily top 3 talent and finished 9-9. Just because you didn’t expect much doesnt mean this team didn’t drastically underperform.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
B for me.
  • Went .500 in conference play (A winning B12 season is still a big thing)
  • Conference tourney champs is nice.
  • Made it to the NCAAs again
  • Major wins of top 25 teams many on the road (look at ISU's past - that just is not a common thing at all)
  • 20+ wins overall
Sucks that we bowed out of the dance in the first round. And the ups and downs of play along with nasty stretches of some really bad ball bring it down.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
This team showed early in conference play that they had the talent. Then the other teams seemingly got better, while we did not. So... does that mean our ability had a cap to it? Or does it mean the other teams' coaches did better with their talent than our coach did as the season went on? If they "overperformed" early and faded later then that sure sounds like a coaching issue.
I think things were pretty smooth sailing up to Big 12 play and than we played a few games at max potential/overperformed around that KU home win and road Texas Tech win. Got punched in the mouth with some losses and the team being composed of 1 senior, 2 transfers, freshman, and a couple sophomores didn't have the experience on how to respond to that as a team and things slid. I think blame can go all around for those things. Coaches and players.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
C+: Late season fade and first round loss are offset only somewhat by the B12 tournament championship.

My expectation for going into this season and thus a C, was making the NCAA tournament. That was achieved but most of the rest good and bad was mostly canceling each other out.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
B-. Lots of ups and downs. The NCAA tournament is what matters the most, so being one-and-done there prevents me from rating any higher.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I voted C. Yeah, if you'd asked me at the beginning of the year, I would have taken this season - winning the Big 12 tournament and advancing to the the NCAA tournament even if we got knocked off in the first round. But after hanging around first place through about 2/3s of the conference season my expectations changed. This was a team good enough to win the conference regular season in a year that a team other than KU was going to win it, and they lost 6 of 8 to finish in 5th. In spite of that, this team landed the second best path to the Final Four out of the entire tournament, a path that this team that may never again see as good of a path, and they laid an egg in losing to OSU.

If my expectations hadn't changed in January this was probably a B+ season IMO. But those expectations changed, and what was plenty good enough back in October just feels hollow now.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
B-

You could make a case for B though.

Could have been better. Could have been worse.

After last season, I wanted us back in the tournament and top half of the B12. Mission accomplished. It would have been nice to win one in Tulsa though.

• Agree

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I went B+ as we ended up with a record I would have been happy with at the start of the year, but feel should grade lower based on expectations that developed and floundered. Such a strange season to grade. This team had very high highs (amazingly against top teams often on the road!) and some low lows (equally as dumbfounding in Hilton of all places against teams we shouldn't lose to if we played our game)...real Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of year. Johnny's teams used to be different that way, but won at home and couldn't win on the road...but that was expected. This year we could look like the Spurs moving the ball one night, then it could stick on others. We played great D at times with steals and runouts, then gave up direct line dribble drives and couldn't defensive rebound on others. Started the year with positive vibes, but then we had some big wins that dared us to dream, then--dare I say--we had a "Hawkeye-esque late season swoon" before rallying for an exciting Big 12 tourney run, only to have Mr. Hyde show up in the first round of the NCAA tourney.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
So far, this year's poll is pending/trending B, with B-minus runner-up.

Out of curiosity, I combed through polls from previous seasons.

Results of “Grade the Season” from recent years.
2017-18: C—
2016-17: B+
2015-16: B (poll did not include a B-minus option)
2014-15: B+
2013-14: **can’t find, might not have done a poll**
2012-13: B+
2011-12: A—

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I went with C. Primarily this team had a lot of talent and seniors - the team showed it's potential and then fell apart. The team struggled with consistency and coaching staff struggled with in game changes. Great they made the tourney and won the Big12 - however winning the Big 12 showed what the team was capable of doing, however they were not able to sustain it which lead to internal and external disappointment.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
So far, this year's poll is pending/trending B, with B-minus runner-up.

Out of curiosity, I combed through polls from previous seasons.

Results of “Grade the Season” from recent years.
2017-18: C—
2016-17: B+
2015-16: B (poll did not include a B-minus option)
2014-15: B+
2013-14: **can’t find, might not have done a poll**
2012-13: B+
2011-12: A—
TBF while the plurality is B the median is a B- and I’d guess without doing some sort of math that the mean is too.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
Voted B. Big 12 tournament champs and made the dance. Obviously our expectations sky-rocketed mid year, but I won't give lower than a B anytime we accomplish those two things in a season. Someone else called this the biggest failure of a season in a long time... I'd certainly take it over... well, last year.
I voted B-. If I compare this year's team to last this team underachieved. Last year's team didn't have as much talent and then lost players due to injury. This team had the talent, fewer injuries and just couldn't pull things together for extended periods. Every time they started to build some momentum they laid a clunker.

Losing that many games at Hilton almost had me lowering it to a C. First order of business for any Cyclone team should be protecting home court. If they can't do that, eventually they will lose the crowd advantage. I'd rather not see Hilton become like other arenas which are half full for home games. An opponent winning at Hilton should feel like a major accomplishment and I didn't see that this year.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
B-

The weekend in Kansas City city was fun and finally showed what alot of us knew we had when the team played together as a team and was motivated. We did beat Kansas and K-State 2 out of 3 times each and had some good road wins so I cant go into the C territory overall even though the pathetic showing against a horrible Big 10 team tempts me to go to a C+.