This is why Prohm must go........

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Here's my take on this....Prohms only real adjustment that I noticed was taking out Jacobsen because he wasn't big enough or strong enough to guard Wesson. The officials set the tone inside though that our big guys were not allowed to hold their ground though and would get a foul for doing so. We cant play both bigs guys it just wont work IMO, but I did about go crazy seeing Wesson not be doubled in the 2nd half on every touch. That to me I will never understand about that game. Officiating aside, we had our chances and didn't rebound again and had bad turnovers down the stretch. As far as asking more of Prohm to get T'd up to fire guys up? In a close game with the struggle already being hard enough, it would do zero good other than to tell your guys in the huddle we just have to play through any of it.

Houston doubled hard every time he caught the ball.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Find me a game where there isnt a 3-4 minute scoring drought.

Buffalo went over an hour of real time between made baskets against TT yesterday. Their coach is a popular choice to replace Prohm. **** happens with college players.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Here's my take on this....Prohms only real adjustment that I noticed was taking out Jacobsen because he wasn't big enough or strong enough to guard Wesson. The officials set the tone inside though that our big guys were not allowed to hold their ground though and would get a foul for doing so. We cant play both bigs guys it just wont work IMO, but I did about go crazy seeing Wesson not be doubled in the 2nd half on every touch. That to me I will never understand about that game. Officiating aside, we had our chances and didn't rebound again and had bad turnovers down the stretch. As far as asking more of Prohm to get T'd up to fire guys up? In a close game with the struggle already being hard enough, it would do zero good other than to tell your guys in the huddle we just have to play through any of it.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Almost 500 posts over the topic of firing Prohm?

Agreed. Can someone change the title of the thread? I hate seeing something so ridiculous
What happened at KSU? At TT? In KC? Hilton Road Magic?

He has his deficiencies. They've been documented here a bunch of times. However, for all the complaining certain people want to do, let me present you with two facts:

1. He's not going anywhere. Pollard loves him and the fanbase loves the job Pollard is doing. Many, many fans love Prohm and are happy with the job he's doing. And guess what, what he's doing is pretty dang good historically for ISU.

2. For as much as people have complained about his offense, he's got a top 10 efficiency offense in the country. It doesn't look as pretty as Hoiberg's. But it's just as effective.

I think there are several times more fans that would be upset if he left versus happy. Every fan base gets frustrated when things don't go perfectly, and we are clearly no different. I am willing to bet the vast majority of Cyclone fans want Prohm to be here for a long time.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Houston doubled hard every time he caught the ball.

Exactly....and it worked out pretty well. I'll just never understand why Prohm didn't....I kept getting so mad because there was no double the moment he caught it. They don't have a bunch of snipers out there so its just plain stupid we didn't double.

• Disagree
Reactions: onlyspringers

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Find me a game where there isnt a 3-4 minute scoring drought.

Curious what plays Prohm is supposed to call to make our scorers better shooters?

Because when Wiggington shoots 41% from the floor, THT 40%, and Babb at 40% (basically all of our jump shooters except Shayok), you are going to go through some scoring droughts...

Prohm has preached and preached and preached sharing the basketball. At some point its on the players to listen and execute.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
How quickly people forget the McDermott years. We've gone to 7 of 8 NCAA tournaments and won 4 conference tournament championships in 6 years. WTF happens if we actually start losing...good god.

Five consecutive losing seasons from 2007 - 2011. :oops:

However, it's an age old problem for Iowans going back to WWI.

096-138-000.jpg

Reactions: cycloneworld

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
In my opinion we played well enough on defense to win the game. I thought the team tried too hard to speed thing things up on offense that we got away from our typical production. Some of that is caused by youth and inexperience. We missed too many shots we were making against Baylor in KC. I know Nick wishes he had one back.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Exactly....and it worked out pretty well. I'll just never understand why Prohm didn't....I kept getting so mad because there was no double the moment he caught it. They don't have a bunch of snipers out there so its just plain stupid we didn't double.

In the big picture, it really didn't work out any better or any worse than ISU's defensive strategy against OSU...

Posted this in another thread, but will post it here as well....

K. Wesson also shot more FTs against Houston. In the end, Wesson only scored 6 more points against ISU than he did against Houston, and that differential could have been even less because he missed several FTs (including front ends of 1-1). C.J. Jackson, who scored two points against ISU, had 18 against Houston.

Overall, ISU and Houston ended with very similar defensive efforts against OSU, even though the strategies were different:
- points given up: ISU 62, UH 59
- FG% allowed: ISU 39.7%, UH 38.8%
- TOs caused: ISU 11, UH 14

The issue on Friday night was ISU's offense, and giving up too many offensive rebounds.

Last edited:

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
And what evidence will that provide?

You are the one that said lets look across every game, so find me a game where this doesnt happen. Sure every basketball team has its slumps, it happens. But with this team it happened almost every single game no matter the opponent, and to me coaching can fix that.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
In my opinion we played well enough on defense to win the game. I thought the team tried too hard to speed thing things up on offense that we got away from our typical production. Some of that is caused by youth and inexperience. We missed too many shots we were making against Baylor in KC. I know Nick wishes he had one back.
Defense means securing rebounds, and once again, the team did not secure enough defensive rebounds. If you play "good defense" for 25 seconds and force a bad shot, and do not get the rebound (yes even with crazy bounces), then you did not successfully finish the defensive possession. Until this program puts 'rebounding' as its #1 emphasis/priority and sets it as THE cornerstone of the entire culture of the program, they will not take the next step. I have no doubt Iowa State can keep winning 20 games a year and get into the dance year after year. I also have no doubt that it will not be a significant threat to win the regular season conference title nor make a legitimate deep run until rebounding focus takes center stage. That's my opinion based on nothing but being a diehard fan and observer of college basketball for 25 years.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Buffalo went over an hour of real time between made baskets against TT yesterday. Their coach is a popular choice to replace Prohm. **** happens with college players.

I agree, **** happens. But why is it every game with us? It happens against good teams, bad teams, and everything in the middle. Every single game and to me coaching can fix that, easy plays that work, Bill self has a million of these.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Curious what plays Prohm is supposed to call to make our scorers better shooters?

Because when Wiggington shoots 41% from the floor, THT 40%, and Babb at 40% (basically all of our jump shooters except Shayok), you are going to go through some scoring droughts...

Prohm has preached and preached and preached sharing the basketball. At some point its on the players to listen and execute.

Oh I dont know, maybe draw up a play where someone gets an easy layup vs a contested 3 pt shot after standing around for 28 seconds. Plays like that exist.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I agree, **** happens. But why is it every game with us? It happens against good teams, bad teams, and everything in the middle. Every single game and to me coaching can fix that, easy plays that work, Bill self has a million of these.

Have you been watching the tournament? Seems to happen to a lot of teams.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Oh I dont know, maybe draw up a play where someone gets an easy layup vs a contested 3 pt shot after standing around for 28 seconds. Plays like that exist.

Maybe run the ole picket fence right Shooter!

LazyThatAmethystgemclam-max-1mb.gif

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
In the big picture, it really didn't work out any better or any worse than ISU's defensive strategy against OSU...

Posted this in another thread, but will post it here as well....

K. Wesson also shot more FTs against Houston. In the end, Wesson only scored 6 more points against ISU than he did against Houston, and that differential could have been even less because he missed several FTs (including front ends of 1-1). C.J. Jackson, who scored two points against ISU, had 18 against Houston.

Overall, ISU and Houston ended with a very similar defensive efforts against OSU, even though the strategies were different:
- points given up: ISU 62, UH 59
- FG% allowed: ISU 39.7%, UH 38.8%
- TOs caused: ISU 11, UH 14

The issue on Friday night was ISU's offense, and giving up too many offensive rebounds.

That's a good perspective really, I'm more thinking along the lines of how easy his points came though due to a lack of the double team. I would have preferred that double I guess but that's just me. Is what it is at this point and on to next season.

Reactions: Spell4isu

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I don’t think so. They said it was the last poll. Maybe the coaches release another one.
You may be right about that! I know there is at least one that releases after the Tournament, and the Coaches Poll would make the most sense. :)

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
How quickly people forget the McDermott years. We've gone to 7 of 8 NCAA tournaments and won 4 conference tournament championships in 6 years. WTF happens if we actually start losing...good god.

I don't even think it's remembering the McDermott years. I think holding the good years in much higher regard than they actually were. I think there were only two years that really stack up to what people think of when they think of ISU basketball history and they were in a time that the kids being recruited were barely alive for, if that. There's this idea that ISU is a basketball school, which may be true, but it's only because our football program was so awful that mediocrity looks like massive success.

That's not to say that mediocrity is fine but the coach here has gone to the NCAA tournament 3 out of 4 years and the year he didn't was completely understandable. He took a team from the worst in the conference to one of the best with one transfer and a recruiting class that is now a foundation to build an actual program. There was one or two years where there was consistent player presence with any sort of leadership and now it looks like it's going to be a steady program. That's completely different than how Fred started his program here even though the latter years did have that foundation. It's taken this long because Prohm had no way of building the 16 class.

Also, some perspective: Going to a bowl game puts you roughly in the top 50% of football programs. Going to the NCAA tournament puts you in roughly the top 18%. With how comfortably we've been in, we're probably somewhere in the top 10%. That's pretty much a NY6 bowl in football.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron