This is why Prohm must go........

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Prohm sucks period. He was supposed to come here and recruit and develop great PGs. I have not seen any yet. Monte was Fred's recruit and was already a good player. This program will continue to be mediocre as long as Prohm is coach and with a lot of these armchair fans, we will have to wait until good ole Prohm becomes pathetic as Paul Rhoads. We were getting blocked on this site when we said what everyone knew... that Rhoads was mediocre, same with Prohm, he is average at best and he's not taking this program anywhere. Nothing against Prohm as a human being, but Iowa State needs a better coach than clueless Prohm. We are really in deep sh!t.

You are probably not smart.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
His X's an O's certainly leave a lot to be desired as well as his in game coaching.

Do they? This was pretty much on par with the best offenses we've had here with a bunch of freshman minutes, without Wigginton for some of the year, without our best post for some of the year, and with a guy with a 100 Ortg taking up over 1/4 of our possessions.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I'll see if I can dig up the article but a national writer (Parrish?) spoke with coaches and ranked the best jobs in the country. ISU was 6th in the Big 12. That may not be reality but the fact that other coaches perceive it that was is significant.

We also pay Prohm in the bottom 1/3 of the league. So, compared to pay, he's exceeding expectations.

All of those who want Prohm gone - who are you hiring? Pollard has consistently demonstrated that he isn't paying $3-$5 million for anyone coming into ISU. So who?

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Prohm has shown time and time again he cant coach, its a simple fact. Go back and watch the last 3 minutes of the arizona game, the kstate game at home and the TCU game at home. Nothing changed, stagnant basketball for minutes at a time, zero adjustments. No out of bounds plays, no easy plays to draw a foul or get a layup, nothing. Its horrible to watch.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Prohm has shown time and time again he cant coach, its a simple fact. Go back and watch the last 3 minutes of the arizona game, the kstate game at home and the TCU game at home. Nothing changed, stagnant basketball for minutes at a time, zero adjustments. No out of bounds plays, no easy plays to draw a foul or get a layup, nothing. Its horrible to watch.
Oh how obvious, let's list losses and cite those as evidence as why someone cannot coach.

One realizes that for every coach or every team if you focus on Ls you are going to have some criticisms, right?

How about we look across every game, regardless of outcome.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Most likely, when you win 23 games playing in a power conference, you can coach. In other words, your assertion is silly (and I'm using the term "silly" because I'm in a kind mood this morning).

Reactions: Spell4isu

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
Unless a sure fire top 15 coach in America is ready to come in and kick ass, please stop daydreaming of Prohm leaving for Alabama and or any other university in America.

He’s doing just fine. Everyone calling for his head sound like Entitled Hawkeye fans wishing for Tom Davis or worse, Lute Olson to leave town.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
He’s doing just fine. Everyone calling for his head sound like Entitled Hawkeye fans wishing for Tom Davis or worse, Lute Olson to leave town.

How quickly people forget the McDermott years. We've gone to 7 of 8 NCAA tournaments and won 4 conference tournament championships in 6 years. WTF happens if we actually start losing...good god.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Wow, some of you need to step away from the computer and enjoy the weather once in a while. Almost 500 posts over the topic of firing Prohm?

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Lol."Simple fact." Lol.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Oh how obvious, let's list losses and cite those as evidence as why someone cannot coach.

One realizes that for every coach or every team if you focus on Ls you are going to have some criticisms, right?

How about we look across every game, regardless of outcome.

Find me a game where there isnt a 3-4 minute scoring drought.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
First of all, Prohm coached this team terribly all year long.

People got all excited because we won the Big 12 Tourney but we should have won the Big 12 Tourney. (We had the best roster in the Big 12)

Finishing 9-9 in conference play was really embarrassing as the Clones clearly should have won the league.

Elite teams play two big men....it's just the way it is.....look at KU, UK, UNC, Duke, etc.......

Why he didn't start a line-up of Wigginton, Shayok, Horton-Tucker, Lard, and Jacobsen is ridiculous.....people wondering why we kept getting out-rebounded and then you see four guards out there and it's not real tough.....rotating Weiler-Babb and Haliburton with the three other guards would have worked fine but instead he put the team in a bad situation at all times with NEVER having a second big on the floor.....that is a joke.

Sure, you can go to four guards at times but when you're in a big boys league you have to compete at a big boy level.....Prohm doesn't do that.

Then we once again we got to watch "stand and watch basketball" tonight as he allowed them to spend much of the first half (and many games during the regular season) with four guys on the perimeter just standing and then shooting a three-pointer with only ONE guy underneath to rebound.....we were extremely easy to to guard because our coaching was terrible....we have GREAT players that can drive to the basket in Shayok, Horton-Tucker, and Wigginton who could have been drawing fouls all first half, drawing defense for a miss and easy offensive rebound, or creating wide-open three's but no.....Steve allowed them to stand on the perimeter and shoot NBA three's......live by it and die by it.........

Then let's talk about our defense........Ohio State has a completely mediocre team without Wesson (they lost by 19 without him against Northwestern).....he's clearly their only big-time player......a good coach would double team him every time he touched it and would have forced the rest of the OSU team to beat us......not Steve.....that was just too logical of a thing to do......so he just let Wesson toy with our bigs for most of the game.......it's easy stuff that he just decided not to do.......

If people think this is just reactionary to a tough tourney loss, you don't understand the game......he's the head coach who allowed his team to have problems that led to a 9-9 Big 12 record which is downright embarrassing and now he just led us to a horrific loss to a terrible Ohio State team......if you think he's the guy to lead this program to big-time tourney runs you are wrong.......in fact he took over a program that was loaded with talent and he went to the Sweet 16 with Fred's team......then went to the round of 32, then no tourney, then now we are out in the round of 64.........it's been downhill and in four years he has a 35-37 record in Big 12 league play......that's brutal......ISU has been to the tourney 7 of 8 years but if they want to become an elite program which I believe they can become, they need a new leader.....it's real simple.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
This team is young??? Sure there are three freshmen that played (only two major minutes) and the rest of the team was two fifth year seniors (Shayok and Babb), a fourth year junior in Jacobsen, a third year sophomore in Lard, and one sophomore Wigginton.........sure there are other young players on the roster that may help in the future that are young but the line-up used by Prohm for most of the year was not extremely young. Baylor and K-State just lost in the first round also.......

Facts are that Prohm:

Took over a very strong program and has won three NCAA tournament games in four years.....NONE in the last two

Has a 35-37 record in Big 12 play in four years......13-23 the last two years with mostly his players.

Had a defensive philosophy tonight that chose not to double team Ohio State's best player and it clearly didn't work

Some people are getting angry about people "hating" on Steve Prohm and yet their defense for what he has accomplished at ISU is laughable.......he hasn't done a terrible job by any means......what he has done is mediocre.....if you are okay with mediocre then great but I'm not.......
I actually think you provide a compelling case here. But for some of us, maybe many of us we recognize that age is not the only factor in experience. Sure Babb and Shayok are old, but haven't been under Prohm's system for 5 years. I see a difference between a Jess Settles and Shayok in experience in a system. Same with Jacobson.

Prohm was gifted a talented roster for sure, and those guys believe in this guy as our coach. And he was flexible to inherit Hoiberg's style so as to maximize their talent.

Doubling down on the post killed us against a lot of teams. But I will agree that mixing it up would've, (would have not would of), been worth a try. That dude was getting away with a lot.

Again, some of us don't hang last year's "success" all on Prohm, but 4-14 with the hole in the recruiting that he was left with really helps the narrative. Could he have added some jucos to minimize the depth of the hole? Sure, but then who of last year's freshmen would you choose to not take?

CSP has had some really good things to hang your hat on if you support him. If you choose to focus on Hoiberg then it will be impossible for you or others to support Prohm. I'm not 100% sure that Prohm is going to be an elite coach, but I'm not willing to give up on him yet. I really want to see how players he recruits look as seniors and how they operate. Some systems aren't built around one-and-done talent. I think we have seen evidence how Prohm coaches to the talent he has each year. In my mind he may be too flexible on that end and too rigid in the season or in game. But he is relatively young as a head coach.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Here's my take on this....Prohms only real adjustment that I noticed was taking out Jacobsen because he wasn't big enough or strong enough to guard Wesson. The officials set the tone inside though that our big guys were not allowed to hold their ground though and would get a foul for doing so. We cant play both bigs guys it just wont work IMO, but I did about go crazy seeing Wesson not be doubled in the 2nd half on every touch. That to me I will never understand about that game. Officiating aside, we had our chances and didn't rebound again and had bad turnovers down the stretch. As far as asking more of Prohm to get T'd up to fire guys up? In a close game with the struggle already being hard enough, it would do zero good other than to tell your guys in the huddle we just have to play through any of it.